cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not a promising PN relationship to start with

lealiamb
Dabbler

not a promising PN relationship to start with

after being promised that i could change a direct debit date which influenced my decision to buy into Plusnet.   I was then informed that i couldnt and by PN own admission they advised this was not possible. but will be looked into.
I have recently called my current supplier who advised the MAC code still hasn't been used.   My FTTC install day is Friday the 19th.
My router order is still in pending and having followed this up.   received the following nonsense.  ill post in the history of the situation
Your Response
7:18am, Tuesday 16 Apr 2013
[Support Wizard Journey]
[I have a question about my order]
[Getting Started with Plusnet]
[Order updates]
[I have a question about my order]
[Additional Information]
can you check the router order status please. it still advises that its pending. its cutting it a bit fine considering openreach are coming on Friday the 19th.
hope you can assist.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your contact regarding the router delivery.
We will dispatch this soon, the standard lead time is 3-5 days from dispatch. However this is usually 24/48 hours by royal mail standard delivery.
I appreciate your concerns, however the router is not required to connect to the new fibre service. As the modem that is required is brought with the engineer, along with a data extension cable of 30m.
You will still be able to connect to the service if the router is not received by the 19th.
I hope this helps ease any concerns.
There is no need to reply to this ticket if the matter is resolved. If you wish to close this ticket you can do so via the following link: Close This Ticket. Alternatively it will automatically close in 14 days.
However, if you feel the matter needs further investigation do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://portal.plus.net/wizard/ if we can be of any further assistance.
Kind regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spat my coffee out when i read about the router not required bit  Crazy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So i replied
i appreciate your comment. But the engineer as you say will be attending on the 19th and installing their openreach modem. The Problem being, the said modem wouldn't be providing Wireless, DHCP or NAT services of my devices through to the internet connection. So i would like to know how this is achieved by openreach when they are only supplying the service. Its Plusnet providing the router to attach to the service. as per your own installation guide http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-fibre-setup-guide.shtml
i have 17 years in the IT industry with several comms accreditations. I'm yet to see a positive reason on my joining plusnet as even before the service has started i have encountered problem following problem.    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
considering the router hasn't even been dispatched yet according to my account status.  it could take 24 -48 hours or up to 3-5 days lead time.   it may or not be here in time.    Whilst im fortunate to have another router that i can use its a matter of principle. Theres non IT savvy customers out there who would take that as gospel and would be trying everything to get it working without the router.   the supplied modem by BT simply presents a PPPOE connection for it to handle authentication, etc, to your ISP.  its the router that is supplied that will look after internal devices.  unless one wishes to use an all in one VDSL Router
To make things more interesting.   the MAC code still hasnt been "used" according to my previous supplier.    this install is happening in 3 days time?Huh
Seriously PN.  good honest broadband?    To essentially tell porkies to me a second time, first about the DD changing date, now the router not required?   not a good start is it?      not doing me proud in the slightest.
Im very link:censored off and im not putting up with this for 18 months.      im serioulsy considering cancelling this install before its even started.   while i appreciate the IT side of things and the problems associated with providing a service.  Just barefaced lying to customers is another art in itself.    Ill go with another provider who hopefully can deliver on their promises.

adie:red avoidance of swear filter removed.
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: not a promising PN relationship to start with

I honestly can't see a reason why you won't receive your router in time for the install on Friday. Most customers receive their router with in 2 days of it being ordered to our knowledge, some even receive it on the next day. We quote a longer lead time as it can be up to 3 working days in some cases.
With regards to the mac key that has been used to place the order, I've checked the details of that for you to be on the safe side and can't see any problems at all.
Just let me know if you have any other concerns.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TBag
Grafter

You will still be able to connect to the service if the router is not received by the 19th.

Yes you can still connect to the service without the router. Just connect you PC/Mac directly to the BTOR modem Lan port using an ethernet wire, and configure your PC/Mac to connect using PPPoE.
lealiamb
Dabbler

thanks guys.  Adam you have saved the day again pal!
i understand how i can connect to the service or even use a different VDSL modem/router if i so required.  my point was the fact that not everyone is technically minded enough to know and to be fair.  its trying to assist plusnet into avoiding unnecessary calls from customers who are waiting on bits and going through the correct channels for assistance.
im quite shocked at the response i got from the support ticket i received back.  it goes on in such a way that the router that is promised with the order is purely cosmetic.  and i paying for the connection itself!      which is factually correct.  But how do the non technically minded folk get on when they are reading the downloaded welcome pack with no router to connect?  They will be straight onto support.  if this is the response they will get? wow.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi lealiamb,
Happy to see that Adam has helped out and your on your on-track to getting your services.
I've seen the ticket response and I see the point you have mad and also see that Steve has mentioned I guess what you would call the facts.
I'll certainly pass the feedback on.
lealiamb
Dabbler

hi there
to be honest i was more in a panic as i work from home and need my broadband for me to do my job.    happy to say im all up and running.  albeit using my own router.      engineer was booked for the afternoon slot.  Turned up at 1:20pm.  up and running by 2pm.  so i apologise if i was a bit abrupt!
so the situation is resolved.  Lets hope the next 18 month is worth it.    But at the least the service has redeemed itself.
thanks
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro

Just out of curiosity, are you using your own router because the one PN should have supplied has not turned up (making your original complaint very relevant) or did it arrive but you prefer your own router?
lealiamb
Dabbler

Hi there
nope, the router didnt arrive till the Saturday.  So it was just as well i configured my netgear WNDR3400 in anticipation.  I had the cable router connected into the adsl for a net connection.  migrated all my home devices over on the thursday night onto the netgear ready for OR on the Friday.  Once the guy told me that his checks were good he handed over the job to me.  At which point i plugged the netgear into the BT modem.  I was up and running right away.      i use a 5GHZ for my work laptop and galaxy note 2 and everything else stays on the 2.4ghz wireless. 
Ive also been doing a lot of digging about on the bundled router.  look about on here.  Its not too great. 
So in my original statement.  sending out a few days prior is way too late.  But who am i to argue.  Im not the ones on support having to explain the lateness of delivery to non techie customers who want a plug and play solution.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I've a suspicion the reason the routers are (supposed to be) sent out so their arrival coincides with the activation date is so that users don't plug them in too soon and then call up saying, "My new router won't connect".
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I suspect there's also a problem with people changing their mind and cancelling before the activation date so they try to get the router there just in time. Making it ONE day earlier would seem to me to be a sensible compromise.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro

It does not really matter what the problems are that Plusnet are trying to avoid. It is Plusnet's task to get the router there ready for when the OR engineer is there. Assuming the OP's post is no better than ours, it should have arrived on the Thursday  to be sure of beating the OR engineer on the Friday.  So it was 2 days late which makes a bit of a mockery of Adam's answer higher up this thread.
Plusnet would not consider not making any charges for the time when the connection was only partly available (modem but no router) or compensating the user for having to reconfigure their network to work without a router and then back again to the desired configuration. So they should get the router there on time and not try to get away with the drivel from the support agent quoted in the original post.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll certainly push this back to our products team so we can see why this wasn't there prior to your activation date. It is very rare that we see that the router has not arrived before your engineer appointment, unfortunately this was not the case for you.