Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

much better

whistler
Grafter

Re: much better

Quote from: Bob
My next piece of advice would be to temporarily disable any antivirus/security software to see if the problem still occurs (I'd only do this is you're behind a router, don't try it if you use a standalone USB modem).

It has been slightly better up until yesterday when it was taking 5 or more attempts to download mail. I disabled virus checking and it's made no difference. Just made 3 attempts before downloading this morning. As usual my mail from my web host mail server comes down no problem every time.
Occasionally I get an error message from outlook:
There was a problem logging into your mail server. Your user name or password was rejected.
Server response: '-ERR login failed.'. (Account ************) Pop3 server 'mail.plus.net', Error number 0x800ccc92).

A lookup of Error number 0x800ccc92 is not exactly conclusive but here's what MS say:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309216
Elsewhere I found this:
On the Exchange Server-based computer, the following information is registered in the Application log:
Event ID: 13003
Source: MSExchange Pop3
Type: Error
Category: Authentication
Description: Logon attempt from 0.0.0.0 to alias failed: HrLookupCredentials() call failed with error Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Can you check your logs for this?
whistler
Grafter

bump
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: whistler
Occasionally I get an error message from outlook:
There was a problem logging into your mail server. Your user name or password was rejected.
Server response: '-ERR login failed.'. (Account ************) Pop3 server 'mail.plus.net', Error number 0x800ccc92).

A lookup of Error number 0x800ccc92 is not exactly conclusive but here's what MS say:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309216

Not relevant:
[quote author="MS Knowledgebase"]APPLIES TO
    * Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition
We do not use Microsoft Exchange and by the sounds of things neither do you.
Elsewhere I found this:
On the Exchange Server-based computer, the following information is registered in the Application log:
Event ID: 13003
Source: MSExchange Pop3
Type: Error
Category: Authentication
Description: Logon attempt from 0.0.0.0 to alias failed: HrLookupCredentials() call failed with error Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Can you check your logs for this?

As above, we don't use exchange, we use Courier so I'd be very surprised to find any entry like the one above in our server logs Wink
The error message Outlook is giving you is most common in my experience where there's another local application/process interfering with your mail collection. It's not clear whether or not you've deleted and recreated your mail account yet in Outlook?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

whistler
Grafter

The error message Outlook is giving you is most common in my experience where there's another local application/process interfering with your mail collection.

I have no new applications since I switched to your pop3 server.
tiscali's pop3 worked fine.
my other three pop3 accounts still work fine.
It's not clear whether or not you've deleted and recreated your mail account yet in Outlook?

Not sure why... given this on 22/01
Re-created pop3 account: no difference.

Oh and BTW
As above, we don't use exchange, we use Courier so I'd be very surprised to find any entry like the one above in our server logs Wink

Very cute but I'd be surprised if courier doesn't maintain similar log info
EDIT: Just tried it a minute ago and it took EIGHT attempts... other three pop3 accounts instant (as usual).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you leave a copy of messages on the server and if so for how long? I'm wondering if it is because your mailboxes have a lot of messages and it's causing time-outs. Later attempts a lot of the data will be in the mail server memory and that's when you succeed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The error message Outlook is giving you is most common in my experience where there's another local application/process interfering with your mail collection.

I have no new applications since I switched to your pop3 server.
tiscali's pop3 worked fine.
my other three pop3 accounts still work fine.

The fact that you haven't installed any new applications doesn't necessarily mean that one of your existing ones isn't causing problems! I admit, it's unlikely if your other accounts work OK but it's not outside of the realms of possibility.
It's not clear whether or not you've deleted and recreated your mail account yet in Outlook?

Not sure why... given this on 22/01
Re-created pop3 account: no difference.

Sorry, missed that! Embarrassed
Did you delete the old account when you created the new one? Exactly how many accounts do you have listed in Outlook? Perhaps you could provide a screengrab of the account settings page? (Tools > Account Settings > 'Email' tab).

Very cute but I'd be surprised if courier doesn't maintain similar log info

Undoubtedly it does although I'm not convinced we're at the point where it's worth the hassle of me acquiring a copy of the logs. presumably you get a username/password prompt a few times before you get the 0x800ccc92 error? Is the username already pre-populated in this pop-up and if it is then what is it set to?
FWIW, I have now set up a client to poll both of your mail accounts every minute. If there is a server-side issue then I should be able to replicate your problem.
If you haven't done so already then I'd be interested to know whether or not you have the same problem when setting the account up in another email client e.g. Thunderbird?
Quote from: jelv
Do you leave a copy of messages on the server and if so for how long? I'm wondering if it is because your mailboxes have a lot of messages and it's causing time-outs. Later attempts a lot of the data will be in the mail server memory and that's when you succeed.

That's not the problem on this occasion jelv.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

FWIW, I have now set up a client to poll both of your mail accounts every minute. If there is a server-side issue then I should be able to replicate your problem.

Since I wrote that there hasn't been a single failure yet.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

whistler
Grafter

Bob - a lot of questions there - I'll step through them.
Did you delete the old account when you created the new one?

Yes
Exactly how many accounts do you have listed in Outlook?

Exactly 4
Perhaps you could provide a screengrab of the account settings page? (Tools > Account Settings > 'Email' tab).

Well I could but how would this help given that it doesn't ALLWAYS fail - i.e. the settings MUST be correct.
Undoubtedly it does although I'm not convinced we're at the point where it's worth the hassle of me acquiring a copy of the logs.

Certainly wouldn't want you to hassle yourself  Cry
presumably you get a username/password prompt a few times before you get the 0x800ccc92 error?

Correct
Is the username already pre-populated in this pop-up and if it is then what is it set to?

Yes - and it's set to my username! - otherwise as I've said above - it would ALLWAYS fail.

possibly. see later.
If you haven't done so already then I'd be interested to know whether or not you have the same problem when setting the account up in another email client e.g. Thunderbird?

Havn't done this yet but I may - although I'm not convinced we're at the point where it's worth the hassle.

OK - (now the see later bit) To me this proves there's an interaction problem between my client and your server. i.e. it's not your server and it's not my client - it's both of them. Why? - your server works fine for your script. My client works fine for all accounts on at least two other servers but not with the PN server.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Perhaps you could provide a screengrab of the account settings page? (Tools > Account Settings > 'Email' tab).

Well I could but how would this help given that it doesn't ALLWAYS fail - i.e. the settings MUST be correct.

It's not the settings I was interested in, it was the amount of accounts you had configured which would have provided further evidence as to how things are set up at your side. The only reason I asked for this is because I'm still confident that your problem is a local one.
Undoubtedly it does although I'm not convinced we're at the point where it's worth the hassle of me acquiring a copy of the logs.

Certainly wouldn't want you to hassle yourself  Cry

There's little need for me to do this anyway as I can't replicate your problem, and I'm using your account when testing.
Is the username already pre-populated in this pop-up and if it is then what is it set to?

Yes - and it's set to my username! - otherwise as I've said above - it would ALLWAYS fail.

Yes, but you have two mailboxes with *two separate usernames*, it would help to know which one is causing the problems? If you're not comfortable saying here then feel free to personal message me the details.

Havn't done this yet but I may - although I'm not convinced we're at the point where it's worth the hassle.

It's Thunderbird that I've been using to test your account.

OK - (now the see later bit) To me this proves there's an interaction problem between my client and your server. i.e. it's not your server and it's not my client - it's both of them. Why? - your server works fine for your script. My client works fine for all accounts on at least two other servers but not with the PN server.

That's just it, I'm not using a script. I'm using a standalone mail client (Thunderbird) installed on a Windows machine connected to a Plusnet provisioned broadband line. I'm going to do exactly the same now with Outlook 2007 however I'm quietly confident that I'm still going to be unable to locate a problem with your account...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

whistler
Grafter

It's not the settings I was interested in, it was the amount of accounts you had configured which would have provided further evidence as to how things are set up at your side. The only reason I asked for this is because I'm still confident that your problem is a local one.

But I've told you on several occasions that I have FOUR. Three with my web hosting service and one with PN. My wife has one with PN also (but you know that).
There's little need for me to do this anyway as I can't replicate your problem, and I'm using your account when testing.

Sorry Bob - but that makes no logical sense to me at all. The point of looking at the logs is to see if there's anything in there with respect to the failures I'M getting. Clearly you don't want to so don't worry about it. Me it would be the first thing I'd do - but what do I know?
Yes, but you have two mailboxes with *two separate usernames*, it would help to know which one is causing the problems? If you're not comfortable saying here then feel free to personal message me the details.

So which mailbox are you trying with Thunderbird that you're so confident is problem free? You can't have it both ways.
No need to send it - you know what they are - it's the one with the male name prefix. The one with the female name prefix is my wife's.
It's Thunderbird that I've been using to test your account.

Sorry - don't see your point. I've already said I think it's an issue BETWEEN your server and my client. I'm using outlook. OK so I switch to Thunderbird and it works - that doesn't tell us what the problem is - it just side steps it. - Maybe I'll have to switch to Thunderbird in the end if you can't find out what the problem is.
That's just it, I'm not using a script. I'm using a standalone mail client (Thunderbird) installed on a Windows machine connected to a Plusnet provisioned broadband line. I'm going to do exactly the same now with Outlook 2007 however I'm quietly confident that I'm still going to be unable to locate a problem with your account...

See above.
I'm quietly confident that I'm still going to be unable to locate a problem with your account...

Glad your not my doctor - I'd prefer you to be quietly confident you'll be able to find out what and where the problem is rather than just being able to say - it's not our fault.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Glad your not my doctor - I'd prefer you to be quietly confident you'll be able to find out what and where the problem is rather than just being able to say - it's not our fault.

If he were your doctor he wouldn't do a diagnosis over the phone, he'd expect you to turn up at his surgery for an examination. I suggest that you put your PC in the boot of the car and take it to Sheffield for Bob to examine and diagnose the problem.
The fact that there is NOBODY else complaining of the same issue convinces me that the problem lies at your end, the usual suspects being AV, firewall and things like spam assassin.
whistler
Grafter

If he were your doctor he wouldn't do a diagnosis over the phone, he'd expect you to turn up at his surgery for an examination. I suggest that you put your PC in the boot of the car and take it to Sheffield for Bob to examine and diagnose the problem.

LOL - you should be on the telly jelv (then I could turn you off  ;D)
The fact that there is NOBODY else complaining of the same issue convinces me that the problem lies at your end,

You may well be right.  But by the same token - all my other accounts on another server work fine. Hence my heretical suggestion that it is a combination. I'm just interested in trying to find out what the problem is, not looking to blame anyone - sorry for being so much trouble  Cry
the usual suspects being AV, firewall and things like spam assassin.

Took AV off - no difference.
If firewall (router or ZA) - what do you suggest it's doing - and why does it work say 50% of the time?
never used things like spam assasin or indeed spam assasin itself.  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When you check for mail do you always check all four accounts at the same time? If so have you tried doing a check for mail on just the Plusnet mailbox on it's own?
Is your wife having any problems collecting mail from her mailbox?
whistler
Grafter

Been a bit busy - hence the delay in updating.
When you check for mail do you always check all four accounts at the same time?

Yes
If so have you tried doing a check for mail on just the Plusnet mailbox on it's own?

Yes - same problem
Is your wife having any problems collecting mail from her mailbox?

Hmmmm - no she's not.
OK - update. I got back to looking at the problem yesterday and surprise, surprise, it worked no problem at all - succeeded every time. At one stage I just kept hitting the send receive button every 5 seconds or so for about a minute and it worked every time.
Then I installed Thunderbird and guess what - it failed MOST of the time. Outlook working fine - Thunderbird not so good.
Then I spotted something - In both Outlook and Thunderbird I was using my BROADBAND username i.e. with @plusdsl.net on the end. (muppet) - I changed it to JUST my username and now everyting's working fine (well so far so good anyway).
So apologies - my fault.
BUT, but, but I wonder, why did it work AT ALL? - I stuck wireshark on and traced the communication. Would I be right in thinking you have several email servers? I'm guessing that something at your end can cope with the "long" username but something else can't. Different servers handling credentials differently? - the luck of the draw as to which one you get? Just interested in why it was failing/succeeding intermittantly is all.
whistler
Grafter

BUT, but, but I wonder, why did it work AT ALL? - I stuck wireshark on and traced the communication. Would I be right in thinking you have several email servers? I'm guessing that something at your end can cope with the "long" username but something else can't. Different servers handling credentials differently? - the luck of the draw as to which one you get? Just interested in why it was failing/succeeding intermittantly is all.

No interest at all then?