cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migration from Freenetname (MAAF) to PLUSNET, Why?

swisslarry

migration from Freenetname (MAAF) to PLUSNET, Why?

Hello,
I was wondering if any of you had experience into migrating from Freenetname to Plusnet. My main reasons is their marketing strategy / offers. I am currently on 8Meg broadband with a 5GB monthly limit and although I am pleased with MAAF service, I have on few occasion been over the limit and had to pay an extra £2 per Gb.
PlusNet are cheaper and currently charging £5 for 5GB and if you do your download at night it doesn't go towards your allocated 10GB. In my mind its a no brainer but have I missed something?
Since it is in effect the same company or very closely run, why is freenetname (MAAF) not able to offer the same marketing strategy / offers than plusnet?? why do I have to obtain a MAC code and register as a new customer just to move to the same company?
Thanks
Larry
2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: migration from Freenetname (MAAF) to PLUSNET, Why?

What is the throttling on your existing package
AFAIK it is equivalent to the PAYG package - all gold - so the equivalent package with respect to speeds would be the Pro option.
Have a look at the traffic shaping here and decide if it will affect you http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
Mand
Grafter

Re: migration from Freenetname (MAAF) to PLUSNET, Why?

Hi there,
Plusnet products are cheaper than MAAF in a straight-forward usage comparison but, as with most things in life, it's not a straight-forward comparison. Wink
All traffic on your current product runs at the fastest speed it can. On Plusnet  Value that same traffic would be managed at certain times of day and for certain types of traffic (peak times, usenet/p2p/vpn etc etc).
If you don't mind that, or indeed are a light user or don't use those types of traffic, then it would be a no-brainer yes. Cheesy
FWIW, you won't need a MAC to transfer, but you will need to signup a Plusnet account (the two different brands run separately on our systems).