cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad Mini competition

mikko
Grafter

Re: iPad Mini competition

How many on here are tweeters I wonder? I tweeted (once only), didn't see the point and gave it up.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I have used neither Twitter nor Facebook. and I intend to stay that way.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have a Twitter account with one post...oops sorry...tweet Roll_eyes
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm not a twit either
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: mikko
How many on here are tweeters I wonder? I tweeted (once only), didn't see the point and gave it up.

I'm a twit.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
I expect that by delivering a load of private Plusnet information to Facespacebook, Plusnet will receive a few quid to pay for the "prize".

Has anybody read the T&Cs? 
16. Entrants are providing information to Plusnet Plc and not to Facebook.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I think you are referring to :-
14. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any loss, damage, injury or disappointment
suffered by any entrant resulting from entering this Prize Draw or by the entrant’s acceptance of the prize,
or any damage to any entrant’s or other person’s computer or mobile phone equipment as a consequence
of downloading any material relating to this promotion.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I deleted my FB account - I only ever had one to view a certain flying icon I love, but I was sick and tired of email notifications saying people had requested me as a friend and even more so with  up to 6 emails a day telling me 'my friends' had updated their FB status.
gswindale
Grafter

Hmm - I get roughly 1 email a week from Facebook.
To be honest; I have absolutely no issues with it - makes it quite easy to stay in touch & share photos with family & friends whilst away 🙂
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I remember reading the following a while ago, don't know how much is true
The guy who requested all data Facebook held on him through a freedom of information request received a DVD with around 13,000 PDFs which recorded his every move on the site; not just what he'd written/uploaded but every click he'd made, and even where on the screen his mouse pointer was (YouTube also uses this tech) - in short, the info they have on everyone is vast & valuable to advertisers.
If you want to use FB, these firefox extensions are an absolute must:
Adblock
Flashblock
anonymoX
Ghosterley
FB track your browsing habits even if you've logged out; they report back when you log in again. Even if you don't have a FB account, they still track you. Ever wonder what those little FB icons are for?
Protect your privacy on the web. It's being sold to the highest bidder
Razer
Grafter

Seems anonymoX is ironically an ad supported proxyfier (if there is such a word). Aside from the concerns about it being ad supported, any user needs also to be aware of whether they trust the proxy it uses. Proxy doesn't necessarily mean privacy or security.
Anotherone
Champion

Very true about the potential privacy/security issues, I see there's some reviews that say it's full of Ads and causes slowdowns and more CPU usage. Other than that I've not investigated it.
Ghosterley should presumably be "Ghostery", seems to have lots of good reviews, but otherwise not looked at it further. "Adblock" should be OK, not currently using it, "Flashblock" is fine, I've also got "Image and Flash Blocker" and "Flash Killer".
Razer
Grafter

Yeah, I thought the Ghosterly should be Ghostery. I was just looking into it, seems interesting and I'm going to give it a whirl. I currently use NoScript, but it does seem to cause problems for some sites just having it installed (even if I allow all scripts for the problematic sites, like Vimeo). As such, I would like to be rid of NoScript, but I'm not sure Ghostery could replace it. I don't think it blocks javascript. Never been interested in Adblock. I use the no-ads.pac file, preferring it as a simpler solution and I can sometimes edit the script myself to block specific things I want to block (though even no-ads.pac can be problematic because it can block any page that has the words 'ad' or 'advert' in the url or title [though this is hit and miss as to when it occurs], so a url with a random string that happens to have 'ad' in that string will get blocked, or a video of an advert on youtube may get blocked).
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I get the impression that many sites are intentionally using a range of domains to overcome noscript - more frequently, it seems, there are six to eight additional domains for page data and some pages will only load with "allow scripts globally" selected, even when all visible domains are enabled  Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, I found similar things with NoScript, it was an absolute pain on some sites, I got fed up with trying to configure it satisfactorily. Disabled it, then got rid of it in the end.