Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bye bye plus.net

Suicide
Dabbler

Re: bye bye plus.net

Right back onto my topic.
After giving plus.net one last change to fix the problem with my internet speed, they arrange a enginer to come out last friday (22nd)
But the enginer did not show up and now my internet speed is even worse.
Have a look at this speedtest.

Doing a postcoder check i should be able to get upto 4.5mb
When i was on BT not too long ago at the same address i was getting 4.0mb
Now after doing a speedcheck with my phone number it says i can now only get 1mb.
Sorry but this is just unacceptable.
i agreed to give you 1 more change and i am sorry to say you did not fix my problem and my speed is still going downhill and getter worse.
i did try and phone up saturday to get my MAC code but you was not open.
So first thing monday morning i will be getting the MAC code and moving back to BT.
roost78
Grafter

I am on my 3rd BT visit  and I have only been with plusnet for about 3 months. How did you manage to cancel your contract?
Suicide
Dabbler

roost78 i have had like 8 BT enginers out for different things over the pass month (well just over now).
Its a good job i am only on a montly contract.
W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

Well Matt. the "Engineer" came after claiming to have changed the equipment in the exchange (His words not mine!).
He checked for sync from the house - no joy.  He went to the cabinet and re-connected using the original wires, back to house and connected his laptop - no sync.
He then complained about not having access to the notes from previous call outs, said he only got the fault code at the end of the visit and said it was PN who weren't giving him the info! (Which I found a bit odd).
Back to cabinet to change wiring to exchange.  (Don't understand this as a previous "Engineer" claimed to have a stable sync at the cabinet, therefore the fault must be between cabinet and my premises!)
Laptop back on at house, still keeps dropping sync.  Went away again and on return lifted manhole cover outside house (First time anyone has done this!)
Went away again, came back and lifted manhole cover two doors upstream from house.  Left manhole with barriers round (Lunchtime?)
On return removed barriers and replaced cover, then left again.  On his return to the house he connected his laptop and the fault was exactly the same as it has always been.
Now, maybe I'm wrong, but when a previous "Engineer" had found that he got a stable sync at the cabinet, he should have checked half way between the cabinet and the house for sync.  If he had sync at that point then the fault would be from there toward the house.  If no sync the fault would have been from there toward the cabinet.
BTW The POKING AND HOPING method of fault finding on electronic equipment is ok if there are only a few components which can be changed one at a time, but is useless where a large number of components are involved. A more logical method is necessary.
Well Matt, at the end of the day the "Engineer" went without fixing the fault.  That's now three different "Engineers" over 6 visits and still no Broadband. 
Incidently I have just received the advance notification for the payment by DD for last months Broadband, which I find a bit sickening to say the least!  Crazy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DawnRider,
We've had the engineer notes back, I'll put a full update on your ticket but it looks like he tried several different sets of jumpers between your premises and the green box and was only able to sync for ~15s or so. They're looking at the rest of the notes and have advised they'll update before the end of the day.
Suicide
Dabbler

Just a quick update on my own post.
like i said in my last post becasue plus.net has failed to fix my problems and when the enginer failed to show up that was it for me and i said i was going to request the mac key
Well i have phoned up and have requested the mac key and i will have it in 5 day.
I have the say the person on the phone we very helpful and understanding.
Good buy plus.net you will not be missed and i am also putting in a offical complate to ofcom.
i hope it dont take me long to switch,
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Suicide,
Sorry to hear that, though thank you for bearing with us. If you do want to continue the fault investigation in the mean time please can you let us know when you'd be available for another engineer visit?
W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

@Roost78.  I was previously with Tiscali and had many problems.  After they ignored my complaints, I complained to the Institute of Serovice Providers Association (ISPA) (link:  http://www.ispa.org.uk/cgi-bin/complaints.cgi and after my third complaint with no reply told them basically that they had, by not following the ISPA guidlines revoked the contract.  They ended up cancelling with a full refund! 
We may yet get to this again!  Crazy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@DawnRider
We've had an update saying that there's other intermittent connection issues in your street and suspects an interference issue, so an REIN engineer is attending tomorrow - we should have more information at some point on Wednesday.
W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

REIN engineer Matt?  Pardon my ignorance but what is taht?  Crazy  Huh  Huh  Embarrassed
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

A BT engineer trained to diagnose Repetitive Electrical Impulsive Noise.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

@Strat - You just used the words "BT Engineer" and trained in the same sentence!  Not in my experience!  Shocked  Grin  Grin
Suicide
Dabbler

Hi Matt Taylor i have reply yo my ticket and given you a date when i am free for a another engineer visit
Juat so you know, i am free at any time for a another broadband engineer visit
W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

Matt,
Following the last visit on 23rd Jan 10 (last Saturday) there was no change, i.e. no sync. 
With nothing done Sunday and yesterday, for some reason last night I now have a connection albeit it is so slow as to be unusable for anything other than email!
Stats prior to problem becoming apparent:
04th Dec 09 @ 08:53
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 12:11:42
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,184
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 63.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 51 / 6,110
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 17 / 2,187
BT Speedtester Results:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 861 Kbps
Acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
DSL Connection Rate :1184 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps
PN Profile: 1000Kbps
My Broad band speed
Download: 968Kbps (121kBps)
Upload: 345Kbps (43.1kBps)
Date: 2009-12-04 08:59
My Broad band speed
Download: 985Kbps (123kBps)
Upload: 376Kbps (47kBps)
Date: 2009-12-04 11:01
Speedtest.net
Download speed: 0.97Mbps
Upload speed: 0.29Mbps
Ping: 57ms
Speed.io
Download: 923Kbps
Upload: 347Kbps
Max connections/min: 921
Ping: 79
DSLConnect UK
Current bandwidth: 1048.6Kbps
Broadbandspeedchecker
Download speed: 912Kbps
Upload speed: 302Kbps
While not 8Mbps, at 4.6km from  exchange I am quite (ish) happy with these sort of figures.

And now:
Post Sixth BT "Engineer" visit 26 Jan 2010 @ 06:31
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 13:20:46
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 160
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 12.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 63.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 8.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11,164 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1,145 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 31,351 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 26 / 193,981
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 28,154
Download speed achieved during the test was - 68 Kbps
Acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
DSL Connection Rate :160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
PN IP Profile 750Kbps

My point is that if a speed of  861 Kbps as indicated by the BT speed tester could be achieved on 4th Dec, then with
a little effort it can be achieved again!

Incidentally, all three of the BT Openreach staff who have visited have complained that they did not have access to the
“Engineer’s” notes from previous visits, thus causing them to have to repeat all the work done previously.  Having
worked in the electronics / communications / radar fields since 1970, I consider this to be an absolutely shambolic way of
conducting a fault investigation.
This is not a go at PN but at BT Openreach in particular and BT in general.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DawnRider,
At the moment we're still waiting to hear back from the REIN (interference) engineer, though we are looking at the test results too. I'll let you know when we have something, there'll be an update this afternoon.