cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

by eck it takes sooooo long

expat

by eck it takes sooooo long

What has happened to the phone/adsl service in the UK
I used to be a Plusnet customer a good few yeas back and I dont recall the process of getting an existing pnone line reactivated and ADSL setup taking so long.
After  living with movistar (Telefonica) I thought BT\Plusnet would be a dream.... not so.  I phoned plusnet to signup for their phone, ADSL services and was told that it would take two weeks to get the existing line reconnected.
Two days after walking into the telefonica shop and signing up their engineer called and connected the line.
Now it going to be a week+ before my ADSL is activated.
A call to a telecoms company called Midas resulted in my line being taken over (line rent paid to Midas) ADSL setup and router/modem arriving 4 days later, plugged in the router and away I went.
It can be done in less than a week, so why is it taking the best part of a month?
Another questions. The sales person at Plusnet after "checking" the line suggested that I should get very near 20 mbit, "did I live near the exchange", my neighbours get 4 with talktalk. What should I hope fore?
2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: by eck it takes sooooo long

Hi there,
To connect your phone line unfortunately required an engineer, we're reliant on Openreach for engineer resource and it may be that this was the earliest appointment in your area.
Connecting the broadband is a standard 5 working day order, this was placed the same day your phone line was activated and is due to complete on the 20th. I appreciate this may seem longer than expected but nothing that I've seen on your account has suggested delays or longer than normal timescales.
The speed estimate for your line is showing around 15Mbps, there is a range that we should have provided on the email we sent the estimate on too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
expat

Re: by eck it takes sooooo long

I wasn't suggesting that there was a unique problem affecting me. I was suggesting that there maybe a problem with the whole process, I was, am very surprised at the time it is taking, did it take this long (15??) Years ago? Perhaps I'm a little impatient, but using a mobile phone is not as easy for us old ones and mobile data is not cheap lol