cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband dropping

spies
Hooked

broadband dropping

been trying for two years to get my broadband fixed keeps dropping i have had 31 engineers and been told to go to another provider what use is that when they use the same bt network and now ive been told i have to put up with it i am paying for a service so i whant the service to work trying to watch a film dropping every few mins paying £22 a month for rubbish service.does anyone know hoo i can contact going on and off every 1 to 2 mins now every time i call its 45mins waite time on phone trying to get fault fixed is well over 70 hours on the phone and lost 30 afternoons work waiting in for enginners.

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: broadband dropping

It sounds to me that Plusnet have been trying to get the problem fixed by getting 31 engineers to look at the problem. My suspicion is that it's BT who have given up trying to fix the infrastructure.

Have you really been told by Plusnet to go to another provider or has some poetic license been added to the statement, such there has been an offer to release you from a contract without any cancellation charges?.

ISPs such as AAISP are more expensive but I believe that they are more proactive in chasing BT when things don't work correctly. You could always transfer to them for a minimum contract term and see if they can get it fixed for you.

Alternatively, I guess that you have to either put up with a substandard service or perhaps consider using the mobile network instead. I have a MiFi router that I use if I am away and find that data SIMs are not that much more expensive, providing data requirements are reasonable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@spies

To add further to @Baldrick1 , AAISP offer this guarantee

From https://aaisp.net.uk/broadband.html

We'll fix your line even if you are with another ISP!

If you are migrating your service to us, even though you know you have a problem with your line, we'll take on the fault. We'll tackle the problem and get it fixed within one month. If we don't then you can migrate away and owe us nothing for your migration to us and your service charges for that month. Details.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
spies
Hooked

Cant afford mobile network as i use 400gb a month.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

That's an impressive amount of data to get through a rubbish service that's going off every 1-2 minutes.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

spies
Hooked

I was getting about 15 mins before dropping so had to waite for film to reconect rite through the film but now sat+ sun only lasting a couple of mins.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @spies

Thanks for getting in touch.

I have reviewed your account and can see that your fault has been ongoing for quite some time and has been visited by a number of engineers as you've advised. I'm really sorry that you've had to endure such a long running fault - I can imagine it is incredibly frustrating.

I would however disagree with your statement that we've asked you to move providers or "just put up with it". You will note from your open fault ticket here that a further engineer has been booked for 17/10/18 to investigate the REIN issue that is affecting your line.

Part of the issue here is that REIN is unfortunately largely out of our control (and indeed out of the control of any ISP) because it is caused by factors which are outside of the telephony network which provides your broadband. REIN is usually attributed to the power source of a device that is within the vicinity of your broadband line - as I am sure you can appreciate, we're unable to account for every single device that is connected to a power supply within or nearby to your premises.

Further information on REIN can be found here.

My advice at this stage would be to await the outcome of the REIN engineer visit on 17/10/18 - once this has taken place we'll have a better idea of the cause of your problem.

Because the issue doesn't relate to the network that you're connected to (BT Wholesale or otherwise) changing provider at this stage is likely to result in the same issue being apparent (as I think you concluded earlier in this thread). It's unfortunate that your fault has taken much, much longer than any of us anticipated (for a number of reasons including unavoidable dig work being required, replacing routers, replacing hardware in exchange etc) but now that we have narrowed it down to a potential REIN issue, our suppliers should be able to make some headway.

Thanks for your patience whilst we get this resolved - I know its been going on for a long time.

Best wishes

Dave

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

REIN is the work of the devil. It can be caused by no end of sources, often from equipment which has worked without issue for years and indeed still appears to work without issue.

Potential sources could be anything using a switched current power supply - indeed it could be a TV.

When the engineer visits, ensure you have every piece of equipment switched on which is likely to be switched on at the times you have experienced the issues. Make sure that they have been on long enough to warm up.

Look to see if there are time slots when this is worse than others and think of equipment which is only used at that time ... or operates differently at that time. I once experienced REIN issues which were eventually isolated to a CCTV power supply ... as it got dark and the IR illuminatetors warmed up, the extra load caused the PSU to start emitting RFI noise, killing the ADSL signals.

Which router have you got? If it is capable of being monitored by routerstats, you can get a shed load of helpful diagnostics by proactively monitoring the SNRM. Given how painful REIN detection can be, it would be worth acquiring a router which can be monitored ... either a liane from a friend or a cheap one from eBay.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.