Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband capped

dunhambob

broadband capped

hi all.
ive been with plusnet since 2010, been great untill the last 12mths
my line had an upgrade last year , now capable of 3.5meg, was getting constant speed of over 2meg , Now been told cant get over 1.6meg.
PLUSNET not fit for purpose , line now clearly capped even though i pay for unlimited, just a bunch of liars , Cry
10 REPLIES 10
picbits
Rising Star

Re: broadband capped

The unlimited relates to the amount of data you can download not the speed of the line.
If your line has been "capped" then it will be because there are potentially faults on it and the speed has been reduced so you have a reliable connection.
Can you post your modem / line stats on here ? Instructions on how to do so can be found here :
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
JTaylor
Grafter

Hi DunhamBob
After looking over your account, I can see your line is running really well and is within your estimate speeds! Having said this, you are due a response from our faults team on ticket 89313818 .
As for what DomS said regarding your mention of Unlimited service, he's exactly right. We can provide unlimited usage but speeds are governed completely by the length and quality of your line from the exchange.
We always aim to get you on the highest speed a line can take without becoming unstable so I can assure you we wouldn't place a cap for no reason  Smiley
dunhambob

hi jack
my line was upgraded last year and is capable of speeds of 2.5meg max 3.5.
i was getting 2.3 with no problems for a good while , every 2/3 months speed would drop to around 1.2/3meg.
After getting in touch with plusnet speed was back up to 2.3.
after my last session of low speed plusnet sent a complete idiot out who said he did not see how ive ever achieved speeds of 2.3meg basically calling me a liar.
he set my line at 1.8max off wich im getting 1.4/5meg , i think ide call this being capped ,
as soon as fibre is available  plusnet will be no longer and from what ive heard i will not be the only one .
as far as im concerned they have got to big to soon and cannot cope with supply thus people like me suffer  Cry
picbits
Rising Star

Plusnet do not choose who they send out (nor do they have their own engineers), they can only book a service call with the people who own/service your phone line (BT Openreach).
If you have had unsatisfactory service from BTOR then I suggest you try and make an official complaint about the service they supplied you.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dunhambob,
I'm sorry to hear that your speeds have dropped slightly. There are so many different variables that can have an affect on speed but as Dan pointed out this isn't done by any sort of capping on our side.
Your acceptable speed range is between 1MBps and 3.5Mbps, you can check this yourself here - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome. You are syncing at 1.69Mbps which is within the acceptable range and this is also explained on the Faults ticket.
I'm sorry that you were experiencing faster speeds previously, however, speed isn't guaranteed. Speed fluctuates and estimates are best effort. As your cabinet was only upgraded to ADSL2+ last year it's possible that there's been a high increase in uptake and there are far more connections now than what there were last year causing speeds to dip slightly.
dunhambob

hi linn k
you have said what ive been saying all along .you are capping my speed to give to others , you have just admited it ,,,  Cheesy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No she hasn't and no they aren't
Your speed has reduced because the autiomatic system at the exchange has probably increased the default noise margin
If you can provide the information requested in the first reply to your post we would have a better idea what has happened
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just typical. User doesn't understand what's going on and who's done what and just blames Plusnet without listening to the advice and experience of other users.
You just can't help those that don't want to be helped. Roll_eyes
picbits
Rising Star

I started to type a reply before I thought exactly the same thing.
Some router stats could easily provide some insight as to what is going on.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@dunhombob
If you want to be helped to get the best possible from your line and are prepared to take the advice of fellow users with a great deal of experience post the information requested here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)