cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after swapping from bt to plussnet i am unable to make phone calls

seans

after swapping from bt to plussnet i am unable to make phone calls

I have now been FOUR weeks unable to make calls from my landline after swapping to plussnet. My internet speed is also now slower than previously, what a total disaster this move has been. I rang plussnet after doing everything suggested on the website. It took 32 mins for them to answer and when they did they spoke to me like I was a retard. They now tell me they will come out but they state they did a line check which shows no fault and I have no option but to pay £65. I would definately NEVER reccommend this company second rate in every way

5 REPLIES 5
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: after swapping from bt to plussnet i am unable to make phone calls

sorry you are having a bad experience..

The £65 charge is a charge when an engineer comes out and fins the fault to be in your premise, e.g. bad internal wiring, faulty phone etc. 

If there is a fault on the line that the engineer comes to fix then you dont pay that, they just have to tell everyone of the potential charge, this may not have been made clear to you though by the sounds of it.

If you can the best test is to plug the phone into the test port on the master socket and see if you get dial tone/calls from there. If not then its likely a phone fault as you have removed all your internal wires.

If that works try plugging the modem in to the test port by plugging in the filter again and then the router, see what speed you get from there.

Anon
Pro

It is intimidating the way that they seem to 'threaten' one with this large amount of money if the fault is the customers.

If you plug TWO phones into the main socket seperately and you cannot get a dialing tone, it is highly likely that it is a fault that you are not responsible for. As I understand this, and you can check it out, any fault from the main socket outwards you are not responsible for. Checking using two different phones will pretty well rule out a fault with the first phone.

PN and customer service are not in the same galaxy, mostly the front line staff, in my experience, have no idea and my recent experience is that management do not either. They say things without checking and give wrong information.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

I'd agree that two phones direct into the port neither working is a really strong indicator that its not a home fault, but I can imagine in some cases and engineer turns up, there is a phone extension also still plugged in that was wired in rather than using a plug in extension and that causes the problem. Openreach fix, charge Plusnet £65 for in home customer fault and Plusnet charge the customer who says they weren't told about the charge.

I assume they therefore have a standard policy on any engineer visit they have to notify if the fault is from in home issues you may get charged. On other threads Plusnet have waived charges and taken a considered view when a fault wasn't found but Plusnet thought  there was still a network and called an engineer out again etc. so I think they can take a customer focussed approach and don't just use it for revenue generation (and don't think they make any money as its charges back from Openreach anyway)

Anon
Pro

Yes should have added that nothing else must be connected or plugged in but the phone on each trial.

When I had issues with BB I put the 2 routers into the main socket and when neither worked was willing to 'risk' the high payment. Fault was outside, no way to remedy it without an engineer. One just has to try and cover oneself as much as possible.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi @seans

Sorry for the issues that you've had since the switch over, I can absolutely appreciate why you would feel this way. When Plusnet charge you for an engineer visit it's because we have been charged by our suppliers as the fault lies outside of their equipment.

We make every customer aware of the potential charge even if we think it's unlikely that it will be chargeable on that customers fault simple because we think its best to make our customers aware of the potential, we robustly challenge all charges that from our suppliers to try to make sure our customers are not charged incorrectly.

If I can be any help just let me know.

Thanks

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager