cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a nervous newbie ...

WillyWombat

a nervous newbie ...

Hi everyone I'm new on the block, just signed up for PN phone+Fibre so thought I'd call by the community and get a feel for the new gaff while awaiting the migration.  Forgive me if opening a new topic isn't the right way to do it.  Never done any online forum stuff before but as I'm off work with a broken leg, I thought why not check out PlusNet from their users' p.o.v.? Seemed like a good idea at the time...
Well my trawl through page after page of moans with a mounting sense of dread about the forthcoming migrate became compulsive until I stumbled upon a multi-threaded total epic by a certain 'Devonian' at which point I broke out in a sweat and poured the whiskey.
Reason? The 2 big recurring fails in this apparently fragile ecosystem that is FTTC broadband seem to be BTOR (the famously 'non-client-facing' organisation with whom I've already had a run in) and, you guessed it, TalkTalk - from whom I am migrating after a 6 month durr-fest trying and failing to get upgraded onto their own Fibre service  Angry  Seems I've been a loyal customer on their LLU for so long my postcode and phone number details  have fallen off of the BTOR database such that TT themselves can no longer raise an order to get me onto fibre, which I'm guessing isn't part of their LLU in my exchange (or any for all I know). For months I have not even been able to leave TT, because no other ISP could see my address on their postcode lookup.
Must have eventually updated somehow because when I tried the PlusNet sign-up process last week for about the hundredth time, it suddenly unlocked and allowed me to proceed to order - even tho TT's own system still can't!  Didn't waste any time bunging my order in, but now I'm worried - I've read that migrating off an LLU ISP back to a BTw dependent service necessitates a new phone number which is a total no-no for us, - although no mention of this when I went thru the PN ordering sequence. Any kb on this anyone?
Fortunately the other key lesson to come out of my forum surfing is that PN customer support seems to be legendary so on that I will depend.  Everything's crossed for the next 3 weeks (uncomfortable though that is becoming  Crazy ) that this migrate isn't going to turn into a whole bag of hurt.  Shame really because to be fair to TT all was sweet with their phone /ADSL for years until I had the temerity to request the fibre upgrade.
Anyway great to be joining a provider based in my old home town of Sheffield, not 7000 miles away and reading off a script (which I now know off by heart....)
WW
28 REPLIES 28
kdoug007
Grafter

Re: a nervous newbie ...

well i  dont  have  the  " fibre  route"  but  more than happy  with the  standard  way..
great  to hear ya  with PN. terrific  service
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WillyWombat,
Welcome to the forums, and thanks very much Smiley
Unfortunately though I don't have any good news about the order. It looks like our suppliers can't find the active line at your property, I assume therefore it's an LLU line and fully in control of TalkTalk (which may be why they are unable to provide fibre, though it'd have been a fairly easy change to swap that over to the BT platform - could be wrong on that one though).
This means that we can't take over the existing line or keep the number I'm afraid. We need to install a new phone line (which will come with a new number) and if you're happy to go ahead with this should be able to arrange for the fibre to be provided simultaneously with this.
Really sorry we couldn't keep your existing line and number though, please advise if you'd still like to go ahead with the order and we'll get things moving for you.
deathtrap
Grafter

When you in the past input your address or post code details into various ISP availability checkers ,did you also input your address and post code into this BT wholesale  checker  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html As it should tell you based on your address & post code what  the speed  estimates are for you line as well as the FTTC availability  and which cabinet number your line is connected to, this will also help confirm what is available to you,
As for TALK TALK  and migrating away from them, on FULL LLU  you firstly have to cancel your telephone service with TT  this will trigger  a cease of the line, then you need to find a supplier like who can take over the line and hopefully port your existing number too,  BT can do this, and don't charge, but they tie you into a min term of 12mths calling plan , the post office may do a short term line rental contract , Then once your line returns to a standard WLR3 line on the BT data base you can order xDSL  from  any ISP,
I'm surprised plusnet can't do a return to donor order , and then once the line is transferred they could order FTTC , But as i said i'm fairly sure that you would have to cancel the TT first , or such an order would fail  But there is no proper regulation in place for migration to and from Full LLU  AKA Sky /TT
kevyandrean
Grafter

Quote from: WillyWombat
Hi everyone I'm new on the block, just signed up for PN phone+Fibre so thought I'd call by the community and get a feel for the new gaff while awaiting the migration.  Forgive me if opening a new topic isn't the right way to do it.  Never done any online forum stuff before but as I'm off work with a broken leg, I thought why not check out PlusNet from their users' p.o.v.? Seemed like a good idea at the time...
Well my trawl through page after page of moans with a mounting sense of dread about the forthcoming migrate became compulsive until I stumbled upon a multi-threaded total epic by a certain 'Devonian' at which point I broke out in a sweat and poured the whiskey.
Reason? The 2 big recurring fails in this apparently fragile ecosystem that is FTTC broadband seem to be BTOR (the famously 'non-client-facing' organisation with whom I've already had a run in) and, you guessed it, TalkTalk - from whom I am migrating after a 6 month durr-fest trying and failing to get upgraded onto their own Fibre service  Angry  Seems I've been a loyal customer on their LLU for so long my postcode and phone number details  have fallen off of the BTOR database such that TT themselves can no longer raise an order to get me onto fibre, which I'm guessing isn't part of their LLU in my exchange (or any for all I know). For months I have not even been able to leave TT, because no other ISP could see my address on their postcode lookup.
Must have eventually updated somehow because when I tried the PlusNet sign-up process last week for about the hundredth time, it suddenly unlocked and allowed me to proceed to order - even tho TT's own system still can't!  Didn't waste any time bunging my order in, but now I'm worried - I've read that migrating off an LLU ISP back to a BTw dependent service necessitates a new phone number which is a total no-no for us, - although no mention of this when I went thru the PN ordering sequence. Any kb on this anyone?
Fortunately the other key lesson to come out of my forum surfing is that PN customer support seems to be legendary so on that I will depend.  Everything's crossed for the next 3 weeks (uncomfortable though that is becoming  Crazy ) that this migrate isn't going to turn into a whole bag of hurt.  Shame really because to be fair to TT all was sweet with their phone /ADSL for years until I had the temerity to request the fibre upgrade.
Anyway great to be joining a provider based in my old home town of Sheffield, not 7000 miles away and reading off a script (which I now know off by heart....)
WW

like you im new to PN. through the years iv been about abit  Roll_eyes and im finding them some what a refreshing experience. Tlk talk on the other-hand shouldn't be in business the way they treat people. that company is a disgrace and nothing less.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

As for TALK TALK  and migrating away from them, on FULL LLU  you firstly have to cancel your telephone service with TT  this will trigger  a cease of the line, then you need to find a supplier like who can take over the line and hopefully port your existing number too
Not true, it's normally possible to transfer from TT LLU without any problem, a colleague of mine has done just that to PlusNet Fibre. What seems to be the issue here is that the phone number is no longer on the Btw database and so they ( well their system anyway! ) can't find the line, so what!. The line IS still on BTORs database though ( with its circuit id ), it must be, they still maintain it!. All that's needed is the ability for BTw to get the circuit id from TT and I guess that's the piece of the jigsaw that's missing. It's crazy Roll_eyes , somebody ( but I guess we're talking Ofcom here so that won't happen! )  needs to bang some heads together and get systems in place that are fit for purpose.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RJM
Rising Star

I transferred from Sky LLU to Plusnet with no problem.
WillyWombat

Oh dear. Oh dear. What have I done. Thanks all for your ... erm ... welcome.  I should have been more cautious when the PN sign up page opened unexpectedly.
kevyandrean yeah I already been reading about your trials, part of what was making me nervous, hope your issues are soon sorted.
Matt @Plusnet, thanks for update, BUT, well my order has been parked on your system since 9th May, (along with 150 quid), tell me if I hadn't posted on a whim would I have been waiting in on 6th June joyously expecting my BTOR engineer and blissfully unaware of all the background complexity, or would someone from PN eventually have notified me of the issue before then?  I have been tracking the order which has been saying 'we are running some checks on your line' since 9th May, shouldn't a showstopper like this have come up early on? We can't contemplate a number change, looks like I am going to have to try some kind of Dr Who warp trick to migrate via BT. I don't want to be with BT and I *really* don't want to be with TT a moment longer
@deathtrap .... Blimey O'reilly.  Is it *really* this complicated? Am I really in TT's stranglehold? The BT wholesale checker reports: "There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line". They're right, obviously its not a BT line but I have had an active line + ADSL  here for > 10 years.
Seems my anxieties were well placed ...    Cry  WW
James
Grafter

@deathtrap .... Blimey O'reilly.  Is it *really* this complicated? Am I really in TT's stranglehold? The BT wholesale checker reports: "There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line". They're right, obviously its not a BT line but I have had an active line + ADSL  here for > 10 years.

That just means that the number isn't in BTs network.  If you are a TalkTalk customer it is exactly what you should expect to see.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

looks like I am going to have to try some kind of Dr Who warp trick to migrate via BT. I don't want to be with BT and I *really* don't want to be with TT a moment longer
I don't think it will make any difference, if BT(Retail) can migrate the line then PlusNet can, they both use BTw.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My sympathies. I quit Talk Talk/AOL to come to PN, albeit direct from the exchange without any LLU rubbish. TalkTalk really are the most incompetent company around. They're so bad they make BT look good.
My service from PN has been excellent, I hope that you manage to get sorted out.
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: WillyWombat

@deathtrap .... Blimey O'reilly.  Is it *really* this complicated? Am I really in TT's stranglehold? The BT wholesale checker reports: "There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line". They're right, obviously it's not a BT line but I have had an active line + ADSL  here for > 10 years.[quote/]
Seems my anxieties were well placed ...    
 Yes as James has said, if you only enter your telephone number the  your address and post code instead of your number the BT Wholesale checker will spit out a generic report of no data ect, Which is why i asked if you had input details of your address and post code in to the checker , it would/should then give an estimated speed for that address along with exchange & cabinet number as well as what  ( WBC 20CN /21CN & FTTC )Products are available to you, But it would appear that you chose to ignore that suggestion and input you number instead

then you will see where to input address details
Just to be clear , only trying to help out
As for the other stuff yes it can be and often is problematic   migrating away from FULL LLU  (SKY & TT) partly because to date there is no system/legislation  in place , where as with SMPF partial LLU or WBC  based products the MAC code system protects consumers to some  degree , it's one of the disadvantages of being Fully unbundled  I'm afraid
slooowwwlllyyy
Dabbler

Be afraid be very very afraid
Just to report that with going with plusnet which is owned by BT you will get the same service as BT
Quote from: tijara33
My sympathies. I quit Talk Talk/AOL to come to PN, albeit direct from the exchange without any LLU rubbish. TalkTalk really are the most incompetent company around. They're so bad they make BT look good.
My service from PN has been excellent, I hope that you manage to get sorted out.

wait untill till you try plusnet  which is part off BT you will be Begging talk talk tpo take you back
slooowwwlllyyy
Dabbler

It only took me 35 minutes to post the last post , i suppose that is not to bad by plusnet standards is it ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi slowly,
Sorry to hear you have a line fault, I'm guessing it's the same whether you use the connection wirelessly or with a network cable plugged in between router and PC?