Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet more degrading speeds

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Yet more degrading speeds

I have had poor/declining speeds for a while now in fact I first asked why last August & after raising tickets in the past I decided it was time to get pushy.
Last week I posted how impressed I was with the service of the tech guys who ran through possible problems with me & solutions.
My line profile was gradually raised to 2000kbps on Wednesday & I was estatic as my download speed was 1600kbps the best I've ever had . After carrying out test the fault appeared to be with my house wiring.
However this morning the profile had dropped back to 500kbps & my speed to 421kbps.
Why oh why does this keep happening??? I am still plugged into the BT test socket so ruling out the house wiring. I have rebooted my PC & router with no noticeable difference.........
My hair is getting thinner the amount I'm pull out & being female that doesn't best impress me!!!! Sad
29 REPLIES 29
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Yet more degrading speeds

What does your PlusNet profile say?
Can you run a BT speed test and post the result ?
Both these pieces of info will help to get this sorted....  Wink
Mayfly
All Star

I have provided so many BT test results over the last 10 days........and have added this info to my ticket,
This was the test from Wednesday after Plusnet identified my problem & raised my profile.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1610 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2528 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps

to this from today....
Download speed achieved during the test was - 421 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :832 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps

I haven't touched anything and am still plugged into the BT test socket
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you post your router stats - speeds, attenuation and noise margin
Mayfly
All Star

ermmm. I'm I sure I could if I knew where to find them  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you have a Thompson Router you get them here http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0 otherwise have a look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Mayfly
All Star

Is this what you need?
ADSL
Type Interleave
Status No Defect
Downstream  Upstream
Data rate (Kbps)
2528 448
Noise margin (dB)
12.6 19.0
Output power (dBm)
17.6 11.9
Attenuation (dB)
15.5 29.5
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You have a major line problem - either in your house or between the house and the exchange
If I am reading the results correctly your downstream attenuation is 15.5dB which should give you a sync speed of 8128kbps.
It is essential that you try your router in the test socket with nothing else connected and report the stats.
When you remove the front plate to get at the test socket are all the other phones dead. Do you have a Sky Box or a monitored burglar alarm.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Jim........as the OP says

I am still plugged into the BT test socket so ruling out the house wiring. I have rebooted my PC & router with no noticeable difference.....

I think he should raise a fault ticket ......
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Missed that  Embarrassed
But
When you remove the front plate to get at the test socket are all the other phones dead. Do you have a Sky Box or a monitored burglar alarm.

As sometimes either of those is connected to the incomer instead of via the front plate
But as a second check - are there any wires connected to the front plate
Mayfly
All Star

No Sky Box -
I do have a phone connected house alarm, but the feed for that was picked up from another junction box, not the master socket. There are no 'live' phone sockets  I've tested bycpluging a phone in to each one and there is no tone...and nothing connected to the front plate from my side of the main box - only BT wires inside of course.
It's interesting you say there is a major fault. because when Plusnet did a test from my master socket to the exchange 2 weeks ago they said there was no fault - or are we talking about 2 different things here?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

where do the alarm wires go to, they must be filtered or you get trouble
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've taken a look over the fault ticket on your account and each time we've performed a line test, your attenuation has varied from 17db all the way up to 57db.
This shows that something is causing problems on your phone line. It's possible that it's the alarm system causing the issues but not easy to prove unfortunately.
I'm assuming that the better stats we have on the line tests have come when your router is plugged into the master socket? If so then it;s going to be something internal to your premises causing the issue (again points to the alarm system).

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mayfly
All Star

My router has been plugged into the BT test socket since Friday 19th. My house alarm is indeed filtered but both it and the phones have not been connected since the 19th Feb. & I have just set the house alarm off to see if I received a phone warning, I did not, as I expected I wouldn't because it is not connected.
I did another seed test test today & see they have recovered somewhat
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1607 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2528 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
Please can you explain what attenuation stats are please?
And just to clarify - my speed was good for 5-6 days after plugging my router into the test socket but dropped again on Saturday even tho' no connections had been moved or changed
Oldjim
Resting Legend

see your post Reply 6 - we need the same information