cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another engineer no show

marmite

Yet another engineer no show

Off to a brilliant start...
Had an appointment for 3/07 1PM-6PM, engineer did not show up, did not call or leave a note. I rang CS today to find out what's the issue and was given a new appointment for -> 17/07 <-
That's 2 weeks with no internet connection for me, wish I was told that before I signed up. Here, let me quote you an e-mail I got just now to confirm the new date:
"Please ensure that you are at the property during this period as the engineer will need access to install the fibre equipment. If the engineer cannot gain access, a missed appointment fee of £50 will be due."
So how much am I getting then?
7 REPLIES 7
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Yet another engineer no show

Some brave person will eventually take BTOR to the small claims court & sue them for  £50 minmum for time wasting. This would then open the flood gates & maybe BTOR will get their act together & stop treating their customers with such utter contempt.  Angry
I won't hold my breath.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If/when I move and am in that position I will respond to the "£50 threat" with an equivalent one of my own, in advance.
Except my hourly rate is higher than a BTOR engineer so it will be more than £50 and multiplied by the number of hours I have to wait fruitlessly.  Cheesy
I believe that will be the basis of a good claim.  Cool
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: tijara33
Some brave person will eventually take BTOR to the small claims court & sue them for  £50 minmum for time wasting.

That claim would fail - You need to sue your ISP as that's who you have a contractual arrangement with and it's the ISP who will charge you the missed call fee.
marmite

Update: I tried contacting their CS to get it moved sooner than 17th, their reply:
"Unfortunately, upon checking your fibre appointment, this has been moved to the 18/07/13 pm slot between 1pm-6pm."
I get a headache just thinking about possible reasons for this change... I honestly did not expect this level of incompetence and I did do my research before choosing plusnet.
"We'll do you proud" <- yea, right!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi marmite,
I'm really sorry about the missed appointment and the subsequent change in appointment in after that.
I'm going to take a more detailed look into this before the end of today and make sure it's dealt with and any lessons that need to be learned are indeed learned.
I'll make sure I get back to you before the end of the day.
Adam
UPDATE @ 15:55
Just updating my post to say that on closer inspection I can see exactly where I need to feed back to on what's happened here and why. The change of appointment was wasn't directly requested by ourselves so it's not actually clear to see why that happened but apologies again for the further disappointment.
I'd urge you to reply back here again if there are any issues again after the 18th.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

That claim would fail - You need to sue your ISP

I'm correct, it was the BTOR engineer who failed to show, not a PN employee. BTOR is the agent acting on behalf of their client PN & are therefore in breach of their contract.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You seem a little confused about who BTOR has a contract with and contradict yourself - BTOR is acting as an agent of PlusNet so therefore PlusNet have let you down by the action (or lack of it) by their agent!
You have a contract with PlusNet for internet services.
PlusNet have a contract with BTOR to supply, fit and maintain the termination and associated infrastructure for that service.
You do not have a contract with BTOR so they are not in breach of contract with you.
If you are not present for an appointment BTOR charge PlusNet for the failed visit.  PlusNet pass that charge on to you.  BTOR do not charge you directly.
Similarly if BTOR fail to turn up for an appointment then they have failed in the service they provide for PlusNet.  However,it would seem that the way the contract is written that PlusNet have no right of compensation from BTOR if they fail in their obligations (nice one sided contract from a monopoly supplier there!)
As you do not have a contractual arrangement with BTOR you can't claim compensation for a missed appointment from them so your only course of action would be to sue PlusNet for loss of earnings etc