cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you replace a D-Link with a Thompson?!!!

llennoc
Grafter

Would you replace a D-Link with a Thompson?!!!

Ahhhh!  Angry
I can't believe you guys. I finally get you to take back my faulty D-Link router and you send me a crappy Thompson router instead.
The whole point I left Eclipse and joined plusnet was I knew I'd be getting a D-LInk which is easy to configure and works perfecty with X-Box live. I can easily assign static local IPs to my machines, which is also handy for my work and gernally, the D-LInk is a joy to use.
Then you send me that old Thompson. Where have all the configuration options gone? This thing is a piece of crap! There's no way I can get this to work with XBox live. I'm 4 months into the service, serioulsy unimpressed so far.
The support guy said that they only stock Thompsons now - seems like they've totally reduced the quality of this service without consulting their customers. I'm on the 'gamer' service (oh, and incidentally getting the same speeds but slower pings) - how the hell am I supposed to use games with a router like this?
Totally unacceptable. I want to be able to leave plusnet with a MAC and be let off any penalties. I've had enough of this. I thought you were supposed to have good customer service here?!  Roll_eyes
36 REPLIES 36
James
Grafter

Re: Would you replace a D-Link with a Thompson?!!!

Hiya,
We've been sending out Thomson Routers for a good year now (although I can't remember the exact date).
They are configurable via the command line interface and if you have a google around, you should be able to find a number of websites that tell you how to use this.
llennoc
Grafter

Oh come on! That's not even remotely user friendly. The fact is, you have downgraded my service, without my concent. I don't care if YOU think that there's no difference, I believe there is and I'm the one that has to use it.
I've looked into this before on my old service and have used telnet  to confgure my old Thompson. The firewall rules didn't work! The internet is NOT a good source of information on this subject!
OK, let me put it like this: anyone reading this thread, have you managed to configure your tompson router to work with XBox live? If it's so damn easy, tell me how to do it - I spent a good few months experimenting with my old serivce before giving up and moving to PlusNet. On the D-Link, it's two pushes of a button.
Look, you're not getting out of this. I was sold the service as XBox live compatible. It is clearly not. I was also sold the service being told I would get a D-Link router. If you are unable to give me a D-Link, then I suggest you let me leave your service without penalty and I will gladly take my business elsewhere.
I have to say the stories of your 'excellent custiomer service' seem grately exagerated to me at this point.
James
Grafter

Sure - I have my XBOX plugged directly into my Thomson Router and it *just works*.
Ultimately, we haven't downgraded your service in any way, shape or form.  We have *hundreds* of customers who are using Thomson Routers and XBOX gaming.
Either way, I'll have a dig around in our cupboards and see if we can find anything for you.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I've got mine working with XBox Live.  It was easy.  uPNP was already enabled on the Thompson as I'd used it before for other things (no idea if I enabled it or if it was on by default, it's just a tick box on one of the web pages anyway), plugged my XBox in and it worked without a problem.  I've set up various other port forwards for different systems easy enough through the web interface.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

llennoc
Grafter

Your XBox or your XBox 360?
When you test your connection, does it tell you that you have strick NAT?
I don;t think you understand my issue. I'm not complaining that the XBOX won't work at all with the service, just that it doesn't work properly. You need to set up port forwarding rules and that really isn't easy with a Thompson.
James
Grafter

No, I do understand what you're saying.  I'm just saying that the choice of a router isn't grounds for a get-out clause with regards to contractual obligations.
I'm referring to using a Thomson with my PS2, Wii and XBOX 360.  All work fine.
Like I've said, I'm trying to find you a returned CLink Router (that I will test before sending out).
llennoc
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Ultimately, we haven't downgraded your service in any way, shape or form.

So you see no difference in providing a nice and easy web interface where you push two buttons to allow open-Nat for Halo3 for device X, to providing a command line interface which isn't even properly documented by the manufacturer? Wow...
llennoc
Grafter

If you can provide me with a D-Link DSL-2640B, then great, problem solved. Thanks.

grudkin
Grafter

Quote from: llennoc

So you see no difference in providing a nice and easy web interface where you push two buttons to allow open-Nat for Halo3 for device X, to providing a command line interface which isn't even properly documented by the manufacturer? Wow...

As posted earlier
Quote from: pjmarsh
I've got mine working with XBox Live.  It was easy.  uPNP was already enabled on the Thompson as I'd used it before for other things (no idea if I enabled it or if it was on by default, it's just a tick box on one of the web pages anyway), plugged my XBox in and it worked without a problem.  I've set up various other port forwards for different systems easy enough through the web interface.
Phil
port forwarding is easily cofigured using the html GUI in a web browser via the web interface.
For help look up your router at http://www.portforward.com/ and follow the guide for the game/application you want to configure!
llennoc
Grafter

Thanks for the link, cleared a few things up but I've tried the instructions here: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/SpeedTouch585/Xbox_Live_3...
...and it's still not working. The XBox Live tester still tells me that I have strict NAT. Sad
I also went to the Thompson support area and found that the *only* thing they have to offer is the latest firmware - which according to the router, I already have. No manual or anything useful like that.
I can still connect to the internet and I've managed to set up fixed IPs for DHCP. Some progress I guess... Roll_eyes
EDIT: I have asked support to contact me asap to talk me through the process - I'm not sure which place will get me a quicker response but I'd like to ask again here. Please, can someone contact me to talk me through this, I've reached an impasse here.
paulby
Grafter

I also went to the Thompson support area and found that the *only* thing they have to offer is the latest firmware - which according to the router, I already have. No manual or anything useful like that.

You can find the CLI commands here and the User Guide here.
HTH
Paul
James
Grafter

I've asked for someone in the CSC to give you a call later on today.
llennoc
Grafter

Thanks. I'd appreciate that.
Paul - thanks too, that'll hopefully answer my next question - how to secure the wireless network.
llennoc
Grafter

Update:
So support talked me through the same process again, with a few minor adjustments (mostly just repeatedly turning things on and off again and adding a few more ports to open) - and yet it still tells me that I've got strict NAT. They're sending more routers...
...anyone else had this problem and figured it out? I'd like to get this working on this router if I can so I'll keep working on it today.