cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would be nice to see email volume in use

MrToast
Grafter

Would be nice to see email volume in use

I've recently been asked to reduced the amount of email stored on PN servers. However there is no display or tool for finding what I'm using. To avoid visiting every mailbox myself with an IMAP client (some are for other members of the house) I asked customer support for help.
Customer Support responded to my ticket with a helpful schedule of directories (one per mailbox) and the storage used in each. So presumably there is a script available to generate this.
Could this report be available effectively on demand by creating a page on the portal for it under managing email?
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Would be nice to see email volume in use

Well it'd be a fair bit of work to make the page and the back end code, but it'd certainly be possible and is a very good idea. Thanks very much, I'll make sure that gets looked at by the necessary people in the business.
Have to say it won't be implemented soon so please don't get your hopes up on that score, but it'll absolutely be discussed.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Would it be easier to create a specific ticket type to request this which auto emailed the results?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I don't believe we get many requests for this (not too many of our customers have that many mailboxes or that volume of mail) but I'd imagine it's not enough to put a process in place for this - it should work fine being done manually. I'll check with the ops guys who pick up that ticket pool though, if they'd like one making we'd be happy to put it in.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Rewind a bit.
Quote from: MrToast
I've recently been asked to reduced the amount of email stored on PN servers. However there is no display or tool for finding what I'm using.

Wouldn't a change to the process to automatically send the user the report when they are asked to make a reduction make sense?
zubel
Community Veteran

If you're using Thunderbird, I can thoroughly recommend this addon
It gives you a summary screen like this:
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Barry,
That isn't a lot of help when you have multiple mailboxes, you'd still have to go through them to add them up. It would also mean that you'd have to have all the mailboxes configured in Thunderbird. For someone that has a separate mailbox for each member of the family (with some of them only using webmail) that wouldn't work. I can image some homes where Dad creates the mailbox and then looks away while their teenage son/daughter sets the password so that Mum/Dad can't read their emails which means the account holder may not even be able to access all the mailboxes.
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Wouldn't a change to the process to automatically send the user the report when they are asked to make a reduction make sense?

Yes, that would be a meaningful step forward.
In my case that would have saved me posting the question and for Customer Support a ticket response. It would also have cut 2 days off the calendar time.
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
I'll make sure that gets looked at by the necessary people in the business.

Thanks.
I also second Jelv's suggestion for a simple change in the process as a seemingly a quick, low cost route to a meaningful improvement. (Though I won't assume that I necessarily understand the overhead of changing CS process)