cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried!!

Devonian
Grafter

Worried!!

I am leaving BT to move to PlusNet because BT are quite frankly the WORST company I have ever dealt with.
They cant even spell my name correctly, let alone provide broadband that works.
After signing up, I found out BT own PlusNet... obviously that annoyed me a little, as I would rather stab myself in the eye than give BT custom... however PlusNet do have a good reputation, so I have decided to give them a bash.
Now, I have just got home from work, to find my PlusNet router waitiong for me... great... except plastered accross the front was a BT sticker, with my details printed on it, which tells me that PlusNet is a lot closer to BT than they would like to admit.
Can any body clarify exactly how close BT/PlusNet operate?
23 REPLIES 23
phil4
Grafter

Re: Worried!!

I can't tell you exactly... but personally I'd say at arms length.  Is say that because it's clear to me that at the very least support is seperate.
I think this seperation goes further, things that suggest that:
1) BT FTTC is offered with "Unlimited" as an option, whereas PN have always stuck to usage limits.
2) BT FTTC will not be available with a static IP, yet Plusnet will.
I know these are small differences, but they show me that when the packages are designed, it's not the same people, nor a set of group rules that decide them.
On the router front, one possible explanation is that BT own Dabs, and it's quite possible BT and BT group companies use that to fulfil hardware orders, such as your router.
Something to also bear in mind, is that with the exception of Virgin pretty much every ISP uses BT's services to provide broadband (economically I don't think they have a lot of choice).  And of the problems I've read round here, it seems to be that disconnect that causes problems.  PN can't control BT as they might their own teams, and BT as you're aware seem to be good at getting things wrong.    What I'm saying by this, is that you may run into similar problems with most other ISPs too.  Oh, and from personal experience I'd recommend not going to Virgin.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From memory the router is despatched from a central BT owned warehouse - I have seen posts about this when they screw up and either send the wrong one or don't deliver at all.
That is about the closest Plusnet get to BT retail and I am not even sure who runs the warehouse - Dabs is a good thought since BT bought them
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another big difference is the call centre PN is now completely in Sheffield, I think BT Broadband is in the far east -India?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes peter BT support Is In the far east unless of course your a business customer.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Devonian
Grafter

Yup, BT are using slave labour in India... unless you wish to cancel your service, then you get to be put on hold for an hour until the 1 member of staff in the UK answers the phone!!
I guess Im looking to be reasured that Im not just signing up to BT in a different pair of trousers!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

hehe at least that one person answers It, Try talk-talk, You ring them for cancellations and your told to call back later because of a fire drill!!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

[quote=BT Annual Report 2010]Following the conclusion ofthe Office of Communications (Ofcom) narrowband market review in 2010 we are able to benefit from our new regulatory freedom to launch bundled services targeted at different customer groups. We will also use the Plusnet brand to offer lower-priced services for more price-conscious customers.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Devonian
Grafter

If this is true, then I think I should cancel the order before its completed.
I did concider BE llu, I think thats the way I might have to go.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I hear good things about BE but I cant get them where I am, But I can assure you Plusnet handle things fairly well, I rarely have a complaint, The complaint I would mostly have Is Adam walkers bad taste for music. Grabs coat!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: Devonian
If this is true, then I think I should cancel the order before its completed.

Maybe you won't be so worried if you read this thread.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Devonian
Grafter

I just spoke to a chap at PlusNet about this.  He said that yes things like hardware, and product packages are controlled by BT but he also said the day to day running, and customer service is completely down to PlusNet.  I'm not happy that I will still be lining BTs pockets with cash, but I will give PlusNet a fair crack of the whip!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That isn't entirely correct.
Hardware is stored and delivered by the greater BT when ordered by Plusnet but as far as I know the product packages are not controlled by BT as this is fully under Plusnet control
Devonian
Grafter

God this is getting confusing!
As long as the product works, and I'm treated respectfully by PlusNet, then I will be happy.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
We are owned by BT Retail, and obviously they have high-level input into our long term plans (the Fibre proposition for example).
However they do not design our products, or control the day-to-day running of the business (we have our own chairman and management team that do this).
The hardware is sent from a BT Warehouse, but it was even before BT Retail bought us (they don't just provide hardware for BT companies).