cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows upgrade necessary?

FuriousUser

Windows upgrade necessary?

So PlusNet: you are now - mostly - quite happy for me to receive my emails but when it comes to sending one, it's a different story; especially if I want to include an attachment. Fortunately, after several hours of trying to work out how to do it, all my emails are now forwarded to another account which not only allows me to send emails with attachments but also allows me to have my PlusNet email address as the sender. This is a solution. It is not an ideal solution and to say I am happy would be a misrepresentation of my current mindset on this subject.

Having consulted forums etc, I am now beginning to realise that the root of my problem is probably that I am running a computer that does not having the capacity to use Windows 10 and is limited to Windows 7.

Well, PlusNet, I have some news for you: firstly, I will not be forced into abandoning a desktop that has software that I need and cannot afford to upgrade; secondly, this isn't actually necessary as I also possess a laptop that does run Windows 10.

So, you may ask, why am I writing this post?

I am writing this post because it would have been considerably simpler if you could have been honest about this in the first place instead of assuming that we would all have the most up-to-date equipment.

I am also writing it in the hope that your instructional articles on dealing with, for example, setting up an email client, are made accessible to people who don't have degrees in computing. I say this as someone who worked out herself that in order to arrange forwarding, both email programmes must be open - an obvious step to an 'expert' (I will skip the definition I learned at work) but not quite so obvious to a layperson.

I am not going to have a hissy fit and leave PlusNet because overall your broadband service fulfils my current needs. However, you do need to sort out this email problem because it is letting you down.

That's all.

JAS

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Windows upgrade necessary?

Given that I, along with many others, have no problems sending emails with attachments from a Win 7 or indeed (don't laugh) an XP machine one has to suspect that something isn't set up correctly

Which email client are you using or are you using webmail

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I have to agree with Jim.  I regularly use both Win7 and XP pc's to access mail successfully.  I occasionally use a very old Win 98 pc (kept for some legacy software) and that still works.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FuriousUser

Hi Responders

I use Webmail. When the recent service disruption was at its worst, I set up a Windows Live account to import emails from Webmail because I was unable to rely on my Webmail account to be accessible when I wanted to use it. I can send emails with and without attachments from the Live account.

I didn't have a problem sending attachments via Webmail before the disruption. Since then, when my emails first started working again I could only send an email if I first saved it to Drafts and sent it from there. I can now reply to emails without doing that unless I want to send a message with attachments. I tried to do exactly that this morning. I not only couldn't send the email plus attachments; I was also unable to delete the attachments so that I could send the email without them. In the end, I copied and pasted the text so that I could send the message plus attachments from my Live account. 

I'm aware of the limitations on attachment size; as I have already said, I did not have this problem before the recent disruption. I don't know whether I can send attachments from Webmail on my laptop (which has Windows 10) mainly because almost all my photographs and other files are on my Windows 7 desktop (although they are backed up on an external drive). I currently use the desktop far more than I use the laptop because I prefer a proper keyboard.

I don't know what is causing this problem. I just know that I have already spent far too many hours trying to solve it and I am fed up. However, thank you for your comments and I apologise if I have misjudged PlusNet.

Best wishes

JAS

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

FuriousUser

Hi

Apologies for delay in responding - I have been testing your suggestion. It worked the first time I tried it but has not worked since. I still cannot send emails with attachments from my PlusNet account.

Thanks for your input.

Best wishes 

JAS

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I tried both webmail send buttons using I Explorer 11; both fail Sad

Attachment = 365kb.

Win 10 laptop.

However if I adjust format to HTML at base, <where arrowed> it sends sometimes, but only using

SEND button at base.

Time PN sorted this; inconsistency unacceptable.

FuriousUser

Gel 

I totally agree. I messaged them on their Facebook page today and actually got a reply a couple of hours later (!!) - not that it said anything other than that they were aware that some customers were still having this problem and they were working on trying to fix it.

My suspicion is that customers who use the premium email service (that you pay extra for) don't have problems - but then I've been accused more than once of being a nasty cynical person when it comes to harbouring thoughts like that. 

I've found a way to do what I want to do with my email service but it's not ideal. My contract with PlusNet still has some months to run and then . . . we'll see.

Best wishes

JAS