cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there be a Plusnet product refresh for 2011?

MikeMcTernan
Dabbler

Will there be a Plusnet product refresh for 2011?

Hi,
I was wondering if the offered Plusnet packages were due to be updated for 2011?  Looking around, they don't seem very competitive for my situation, but I'd prefer not to leave having been a happy customer for a long time now.
The problem is that I'd like to get on the FTTC trial, but that only really makes sense with PlusNet Pro as all the other residential packages are heavily rate limited (http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml) and will only allow line rate for selected sites at selected times (mostly off peak).
But Plusnet Pro has a very small 20GB transfer limit which seems to be easily met through use of iPlayer and podcast downloads on top of regular web browsing.  The £5 per 5GB top-up also seems pricey and harsh since it isn't carried into the next billing period (£1 for 1GB would be at least kinder, but if for some technical reason billing in small quantities cannot be met, the extra credit that's been purchased shouldn't get wiped at the end of the billing period).
BT seem to offer better packages for Infinity http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017
BT Infinity Option 1 (£19.99 per month):

• 40GB transfer per month

• Up to 40Mb download speeds

• Up to 2Mb upload speeds

• BT Infinity Home Hub included

• Free engineer installation

BT Infinity Option 2 (£24.99 per month)

• Unlimited transfer per month

• Up to 40Mb download speeds

• Up to 10Mb upload speeds

• BT Infinity Home Hub included

• Free engineer installation

The BT Unlimited packages don't appear to use rate limiting or shaping unless you are breaking their fair-use policy which seems quite reasonable and sensible: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/c/346
So, PlusNet Pro is £16.49 at the cheapest market (so only available to exchanges with 4 or more different broadband providers http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/low_cost_areas.shtml#costs), and more usually £22.99 per month.  If you're not on that tier, or if you regularly tip over the 20GB limit, it's appears better to use BT Infinity 1 to get double the transfer allowance.  With BT Infinity 1, if you then manage to exceed 40GB in a month, for £5 extra a month you can go unlimited forever.
Of course, not everyone can get BT Infinity yet, but outside of those packages BT still look competitive: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayCategory.do?categoryId=CON-TOTAL-BB-R1
More Broadband and Calls (£17.99 per month)

• 40GB transfer per month

• Up to 20Mb download speeds

• BT Home Hub included

• No connection charge for new lines

While it's probably true that Plusnet "won't be beaten on price", it does appear that the packages don't offer as much as other providers.
I hope Plusnet are merely lagging behind in their offerings and are planning a product refresh early this year...
Regards,
Mike
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Will there be a Plusnet product refresh for 2011?

We normally refresh our product set around Easter time, although I don't have any details about if, what or when we'll do any changes this year.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Please introduce something between Extra and Pro!!  Wink
TicnTac
Grafter

Plusnet Inbetweener Package

• 35Gb Month - Increased traffic flow for streaming / voip / browsing.

• Personal CSA rep (one person for all point of call)

• Anytime Calls

• £7.49/month + line rental + VAT Wink

• T-shirt / hoody

• Opinicus CD

• Cadbury's Cream Egg (since it'll be Easter)

......am I on the right track? Wink Smiley
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

am I on the right track?
either for the funny farm or PN merging with TalkTalk Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
TicnTac
Grafter

.....or PN merging with TalkTalk

Shocked ...........that could be interesting  Wink
My suggestion not in the middle enough then?  Roll_eyes
themathiesons

BT Business fibre looks good too if you are prepared to pay for quality service
Same as their option 2 +
Business level support
guaranteed 16mb DS, expected 40mb
You have to pay a bit more if you want 10mb US, but the basic package at 40/2mb is 20-30 times faster than I get now out of the box and will do me for now.
its £30/month.  The number of areas with fibre to the cabinet is growing really fast and PN need a commercial fibre service offering now not a trial
It's double what I pay now for my "premium" PN service (£16) but worth for me for the response & reliability & "one supplier" assurance. I know its the same openreach engineers, but somehow feels better when you dont get a "we have no control over them" response.
I stumbled across one of those "broadband speed by street" sites that showed me lagging behind my neighbours and we don't even have cable in our road so we all have to keep a look out. I hope for PN sake they dont trade quality for price.