cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Access

theblisses
Grafter

WiFi Access

With more and more hand-held and pocket devices coming onto the market, does PlusNet have any plans to enable members to take advantage of the wifi hotspots throughout the country?  Is there any possibilty of a link-up with BT who give this facility free to their subscribers?
jim:orange all Caps in ttle removed as per Forum Rules mod:end
18 REPLIES 18
itsme
Grafter

Re: WiFi Access

It's only free if you turn your WiFi into a hotspot so you could join www.fon.com and you will get access to BTFON but not all Openzone hotspots.
gswindale
Grafter

I was sure PN had a deal with the Cloud a few years back?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they did
itsme
Grafter

No they did not, it was with BT Openzone which did not include Cloud.
gswindale
Grafter

I couldn't remember which one of them it was.
What happened to it?
itsme
Grafter

Got withdrawn a couple of years ago, at the same time that BT were doing some changes to Openzone access.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

I am migrating my service to BT on their Winter Warmer deal @ £16-99 and Line Rental for £120 for 12 Months. You get £65 Cashback with TopCashback which yields a total saving of almost £100 over the 18 month Contract period.
That gives me access to All BT OpenZone and all FON hotspots WORLDWIDE.
itsme
Grafter

When you join BT Fon you also get FREE access to BT Openzone. Learn more about these premium hotspots.

So does the above statement apply to you? To join BT FON you are allowing others to use your WiFi connection.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I should say so, when I do an InSSID scan around me there are numerous BTOpenzone PC with no security, I assume you get to the Router only, but not sure how it works
itsme
Grafter

You get a landing page where you have a choice to log in or purchase time.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Itsme, With BT, you get a BT Home Hub which has TWO SSIDs broadcast The second SSID is for BT Openzone and FON operates on the BT Openzone SSID.
I believe that the Openzone and FON service is QOS Managed to 512Kbps so is unlikely to affect my service.
Pierre-pierre, If you attach to the Openzon SSID which is "Unsecured", you get the "Landing Page" and have to sign in using your BT Account UserID and Password. You are then on a VPN connection to Openzone so that defines the level of security.
theblisses
Grafter

Would any PlusNet staff member like to comment?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
Itsme, With BT, you get a BT Home Hub which has TWO SSIDs broadcast The second SSID is for BT Openzone and FON operates on the BT Openzone SSID.

I thought the SSID for the homehub was BTFON and for the Business hub it was BT Openzone. I see more BTFON ssid's around me than Openzone. For information I've been a member of Fon for many years, before BT involvement.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

I am using a BT Business Hub - 2-Wire 27HGV at present and will continue to use this when I migrate to BT. The SSID on the Business Hub is definitely BT Openzone but will come back and tell you what the Home Hub does in April.