Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no feedback about current problems?

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Why no feedback about current problems?

It would appear PlusNet is experiencing serious technical problems at present, but there has been no information on this forum about it.
Several users have reported they can't send E-mail. Mail is rejected with a "relay denied" message, which implies the server doesn't recognise them as customers. My current IP address is 146.199.97.210 - one of the former American ones - seems even PN's mail servers are not using current geolocation records!
I decided to go to the Main PN site to see whether there's a problem, but the PN home page gives a 500 Internal Server Error!
I started this thread thinking there is a major general problem and wondering why PN hasn't posted an announcement. I now suspect the problem might relate to the non-UK IP address not being recognised by PN's filters, so I'm going to try and reconnect with a RIPE address and see if my problems go away.
Back in a minute...
12 REPLIES 12
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Why no feedback about current problems?

Interesting observation.  All is OK here.
If you find doing a gateway hop (and a different IP address) fixes the issues, can you please report the same on the IP address sticky at the top of this forum?
I think that there was some anticipation of the potential for issues with this IP address range...
Quote from: Bob
I suspect this thread is going to get a bit livelier over the coming weeks. Looking at the IP you had Pete, addresses from a new subnet are now being assigned (146.199.0.0/16). Probably coincides with the enabling of PTN-BNG02 this week.

...so arguably it was pre-announced!  Wink Cheesy
Thanks.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Will do - both SMTP and PN's home page work well from 87.115.89.60, by the way!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Looking at this now...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Bob,
Is (was?) this - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133473.msg1167711.html#msg1167711 - related?  Same user having SMTP issues.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yes Kevin, looks like the same thing.
An internal problem has been raised (ref: 83409) and I've asked our engineers to take a look.
FYI, this will also be affecting access to our Usenet servers.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob
An internal problem has been raised (ref: 83409) and I've asked our engineers to take a look.

The problem sending mail was sorted Monday afternoon. We still need to do a little work to rectify the Usenet access issue.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bazzer9
Grafter

I'm a new customer and I've been trying to access usenet/newsgroups through the plusnet reader, which I haven't tried before.
I've been following the  notes on  http://community.plus.net/library/email/all-about-usenet/?source=keymatch#whatis
4. Using the Plusnet Newsreader
"

Firstly I can't find the USENET link in the left hand menu  on my member centre page, but I can click on Communicate which takes me to the USENET link
http://portal.plus.net/features/communicate_index.shtml?membermenu=communicate
However when I click this link it can't find anything and I get a 404 error message  "Sorry, we couldn't find the page you were looking for .... "
Am I doing something wrong ?
Or
Has USENET been discontinued ?
Or
Is there presently a problem which is being fixed ?
Incidently, I have installed the Unison newsreader but this doesn't seem to work properly with server :- news.plus.net
Would appreciate any advice.
Thanks  Cool
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The web interface for Usenet has been dropped (it was really, really bad and hardly used).
There is an issue with some new IP address ranges not working so try disconnect/connect to get a new IP.
Make sure you have authentication off.
For testing try the group plusnet.test
Note only text groups are available on the Plusnet news server - I hope you were not trying to use a binary group.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bazzer9
Grafter

Thanks Jelv for your prompt reply
Perhaps the usenet  notes web page  http://community.plus.net/library/email/all-about-usenet/?source=keymatch#whatis
should either be removed or edited to say that the web interface has been dropped.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've posted to the thread on plusnet.service.customer-feedback which discussed the retirement of this facility to flag up the need to revise that page.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'll flag that up internally too, thanks for pointing it out.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: jelv
There is an issue with some new IP address ranges not working so try disconnect/connect to get a new IP.

That issue has since been resolved.
Quote from: bazzer9
Perhaps the usenet  notes web page  http://community.plus.net/library/email/all-about-usenet/?source=keymatch#whatis
should either be removed or edited to say that the web interface has been dropped.

Page has now been edited.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team