cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there no family filter. Should be must of any isp. The top isp's have it.

flexo1966
Grafter

Why is there no family filter. Should be must of any isp. The top isp's have it.

Why not Plusnet
dick:red All caps post edited as per forum rule.
11 REPLIES 11
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Why is there no family filter. Should be must of any isp. The top isp's have it.

We don't want one.
And there's no need to SHOUT.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Why is there no family filter. Should be must of any isp. The top isp's have it.

We've been through this before with you.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130859.0.html
avatastic
Grafter

Plusnet isn't a 'top ISP' it's a bargain basement ISP.
Perhaps you should consider a top ISP, or supervising your youngling's use of the internet and not putting the responsibility in someone else's hands.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Wot 'e sed  ^  +1
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: avatastic
Perhaps you should consider a top ISP

Have you read what the premier UK ISP has to say on the subject ? - http://www.aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-realinternet.html
avatastic
Grafter

A&A, whilst probably the best ISP is sadly niche rather than top, what with it's native IPv6 Support and IRC based support.
Although as soon as they can offer an unlimited produced I'll be jumping ship faster than a very fast thing being carried by The Flash.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll see you there then !   Cool
I just noticed that their "Home::1" package monthly allowance has increased to 100GB  Smiley  still not quite enough though  Cry

This is an interesting article on filtering from their "RevK" - http://www.revk.uk/2014/01/mentioned-in-house-of-lords.html
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the Snowden/NSA revelations, I'm not sure that ISPs are technically capable of filtering traffic.
There are two ways that filtering could be implemented, DNS interception, or traffic content analysis.
For DNS interception (which some ISPs offer), then the concerned parent might as well sign up for OpenDNS, alter their router DNS, and have the choice of which categories of content to block.
For traffic content analysis, over the past year got considerably more difficult, and is now near impossible for ISPs to do.
The problem is, many websites have changed from normal 'http' to encrypted 'https', in order to increase security and prevent the security services snooping.  This is great for privacy, but terrible if you want someone else to filter your internet traffic - because nobody can intercept the encrypted data.
For years products like DansGuardian have allowed parents to filter their kids internet usage, but all those products now just don't work because the SSL encryption key is only known by the user's web browser and the originating website, and nothing in-between, so any on-route filtering just sees random junk and therefore any objectionable material is invisible to the detection process.
However I have recently seen a plausible technical solution for content filtering 'https' traffic for the home user, unfortunately for the average internet user, it requires a good understanding of networking, a relatively expensive home router with a caching proxy server with "SSL bump" feature, and the first non-development release of the required software will start to appear probably before Christmas.   I'll probably try the SSL filtering software when I get around to rebuilding my home-constructed broadband super router sometime in January.
To answer to the original question, it is unlikely that Plusnet or any other ISP could filter your connection any better than you could do at home, either with OpenDNS, or a router with parental controls built into the software.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

This issue raised by the same person has been discussed to death before.  Can the mods therefore please lock this thread.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Just a thought, wouldn't it be a good idea for the parents of children to monitor their activities rather than pass the buck onto someone else expecting them to do the work for you? That thing known as "responsibility", I.E. the parent of a child being responsible for what the child does online.... Huh
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

mod:note
Regurgitation of an already discussed topic locked.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'