cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is our Skype pants ???

brucey034
Dabbler

Why is our Skype pants ???

We have 61-67 mbps download and 16-17 mbps upload.
Why can we not skype with friends ?
We get bad video and interrupted sound.
This is not good.
Any help much appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12
brucey034
Dabbler

Re: Why is our Skype pants ???

Just want to add nothing running in the back ground, just get unusable connectivity with Skype why ?
brucey034
Dabbler

Also wanted to point out that we never had this problem with Sky adsl, 6-7 mbps down 1 mbps up, only had this problem since we moved to Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What version have you got? and check which Gateway you are on.
What's your Current Line speed (Login required)?
The Current Line Speed at the member centre is initially set at the default value of 78Mbps for FTTC 80/20. This will update in due course to match the BT IP Profile, but if you want to ensure you get an accurate Profile from the BT Tester and ultimately the Current Line Speed, you need to login to the Router, drop the PPP session, wait about 30seconds and then click connect. This will initiate an update to the relevant servers. Doimg that will also mean you generally hop to another Gateway.
The best way to check the the sync speed of your connection is to run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.  The results will show the DS IP profile for the Line (ignore the US profile). On FTTC the Profile x1.033 = sync speed.  If you want to post the results here, just do a Copy and Paste of the results and post (no need to grab an image).
Check which Gateway you are on now and see if your Skype is any better. If not, we'll have to do some more checks.
brucey034
Dabbler

Many thanks for the reply will do as you said.
I'll post back with any updates.
brucey034
Dabbler

Hi, well I have done what was suggested ie changing the gateway etc, and tested skype tonight.
We could see and hear our friends and they could see us, but no sound from us, nothing has been changed since the last conversation.
The latest skype version is installed on both sides, I have checked our skype settings all is the same as before, but since we have moved to plusnet we are no longer able to make a reliable connection.
Any help much appreciated.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, I was hoping you were actually going to state which Gateways your were on before and after, in case it was an issue related to that.
Very odd - if the video is Ok I doubt it has anything to do with the Internet connection side. Have you used the Skype Echo/Sound Test Service and what does that do?
brucey034
Dabbler

If it is any help this is our current gateway ptn-ag02 This is located in Telehouse North.
Sorry I didn't get the gateway before, I do know the current gateway is different to the one last night because I remember that having a w in it and it was South not North.
The gateway has changed itself while the computer was turned off over night, is that normal ?
Will run the Skype test when I get chance and keep you updated.
Many thanks for the help.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@brucey034
I am in Saudi and My wife at our home in Filey North Yorkshire so we are heavy users of Skype.  Cool
IHMO a lot of the problems rest with Skype, you can have the fastest connection with your ISP and we have 5.8 Mbs line speed with Plusnet and very much more than that from my ISP in Saudi and our connection is brilliant some nights and poor picture and sound the next. :(.
For a free service you get what you get. Smiley
Also Skype keep updating the software without proper indication of the changes made. Im sure we had better connections before the latest upgrades. There is nothing more annoying than the little box saying that the connection is not good enough for good video (I know that don't I!)
I dont think its fair to blame Plusnet for the vagaries of the internet routing (international in our case) and the comparison with Sky is anecdotal. No relevance whatsoever  Lips_are_sealed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Let us know how you get on with the Skype test.
Anotherone
Champion

What happens with the Skype test will be significant.
As for the Gateway change overnight, yes it can change if there is maintenance anywhere between your exchange and Plusnet, for example see http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1370246909.htm Those are just some of the more major nodes affected, and there will be maintenance work elsewhere as mentioned in the paragraph below the list..
brucey034
Dabbler

Quote from: PeterLoftus
@brucey034
I am in Saudi and My wife at our home in Filey North Yorkshire so we are heavy users of Skype.  Cool
IHMO a lot of the problems rest with Skype, you can have the fastest connection with your ISP and we have 5.8 Mbs line speed with Plusnet and very much more than that from my ISP in Saudi and our connection is brilliant some nights and poor picture and sound the next. :(.
For a free service you get what you get. Smiley
Also Skype keep updating the software without proper indication of the changes made. Im sure we had better connections before the latest upgrades. There is nothing more annoying than the little box saying that the connection is not good enough for good video (I know that don't I!)
I dont think its fair to blame Plusnet for the vagaries of the internet routing (international in our case) and the comparison with Sky is anecdotal. No relevance whatsoever  Lips_are_sealed

Thanks for the help mate, I did not mean to put the blame on Plusnet, I just mentioned that we did not have this issue with sky adsl, It is quite possible that skype have updated their software since we switched, was just hoping to get a solution to the problem.
From my experience Plusnets customer service is superb and I was wondering if it was anything regarding our connection or if they could help, it is looking like a skype problem and I know of that little annoying box that says about the connection, nothing more frustrating in the middle of a call.
brucey034
Dabbler

Sorry it's been a long time since I updated the issue I had with Skype, I believe the problem of video calls cutting off is sorted, what I did was disable uPnP  in the Skype settings, so far so good, no more video signal strength drop outs so far.