Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is a communications company so poor at communicating?`

PaulD
Dabbler

Why is a communications company so poor at communicating?`

Ref: Question #67408847
Currently running broadband extra, always going over the 60G limit, no problem, switch to fibre optic unlimited .. Wink
Except it IS a problem ....
Why, when I order Fibre and a Plusnet phone line do I get email confirmations of engineers visit which doesn't happen, then when I call I get told I can't order 2 products at once!  Yet when I order Fibre I _HAVE_ to have Plusnet phone too.
So Phone line changed over April 9, but not heard a pip from Plusnet about when the fibre is to be installed!! 
You're quick enough to take my money when I go over the limit, which I don't have a problem with, but you then have the temerity to make me lose a days pay, make out it's my fault PLUSNET messed up and I still aren't connected or had any constructive communications since March 22 other than some whining, passing from pillar to post and saying 'everything will be alright' !!
As a communications company you are great salesmen .... Why not spend money on PROPER customer service, truthful answers and infrastructure instead of the constant TV adverts selling services you aren't professional enough to deliver or professional enough to care about?
14 REPLIES 14
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Why is a communications company so poor at communicating?`

Hi there,
Really sorry about that. I've just picked up the ticket for you and placed the order, details are on the ticket - please let us know if the appointment is alright or if you need any amendments making.
Devonian
Grafter

I have to say, I have twice migrated to PlusNet, and both times communication was lacking somewhat until I can to the forums.
After migration has completed, the service has been perfect, and any issues have been dealt with perfectly.
PlusNet really need to sort out the migration issues, there seem to be more and more complaints about it, and like I said I have been through it twice, and the only saving grace for me was Matt and Adam on here.
Thanks guys.
PaulD
Dabbler

Thanks, there has indeed been a reply to the note .. with the engineer booked in another 10 days!
I shan't moan 'cos it should happen now, but this was ordered on 16 March ... hardly lightning fast, I just hope the fibre is a tad faster .. Wink
Devonian
Grafter

Paul mate, all I can say is since completion on my order, my actual service has been brilliant, in fact I get better speeds than any other ISP I have used (talktalk, BT, O2)
I did have a small issue, but it was put right after making a thread on here pretty quickly.
Its just a shame that the first impressions given by the migration of service is such a poor one, it really doesn't reflect the general standard of service.
mikko
Grafter

Bear in mind that migration is a mixture of Plusnet and BT (and losing ISPs such as TalkTalk, O2, etc. can also throw spanners in the works) and therein lies the problem.
PaulD
Dabbler

I understand the issues, I'm 53, been with a few suppliers over the years, including 'original' fibre optics when I lived in Nottingham. 
What irks me is that when I ordered from the website as a change of service, and received confirmation of 'stuff', that 'stuff' didn't happen .. yet it took me, chasing them, to get things moving!!  THEY know how the systems work, not I and yet they tried to make me feel 3" tall ... Their 'problem' was that THEY couldn't place two orders at once, as an internal thing.  The phone line migration went ahead fine, THEY said they couldn't order the Fibre until the phone line had changed .. and yet it's only today, after chasing because still nothing happened and that they hadn't told me it was or wasn't going to happen, that something gets done ... and that's only 'cos I remembered the forum!!!
I know it'll be good when I get it, but jeez it's painful getting there ...

RichardL
Grafter

The problem I have with PlusNet is exactly this. Other companies detect when you are have a problem and try and contact you whilst you are on line so that you can chat online with a technician. With Plus Net you have to open a ticket and put in your question. 12 hours later you get a partial reply. You then ask another question and wait another 12 hours, and so it goes on until you in the end resolve the problem by some other means. Perhaps a previous writer is correct in that PlusNet are spending all of their money on glossy tv adverts to attract customers, but don't have the resources left to support them. Angry
Devonian
Grafter

Well after going around the ISP circuit, I have never known any ISP contact me when I have had a problem, let alone contact me when I was online!
I had a problem when I was with talktalk.. they didn't even take my call let alone investigate.
BT took 2 hours to answer the phone, another hour to get the third world call centre to understand the problem, then another month to get any sort of help.
Tiscalli... say no more.
O2... although it was some years and they had only just launched, but they were very good, but certainly didn't contact me if I had a problem.
And now finally PlusNet.. who again hes never approached me online and said 'you have a problem' however I currently have a line issue.. and within 10 hours of reporting it, I had an engineer booked to visit, after being contacted by PlusNet.
That was yesterday, and I am currently awaiting BT to arrive now.
So out of the other isp's I havee been with, PlusNet is much better than them and I wont be changing suppliers.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Plusnet do seem to have an issue with being able to do successful simultaneous provides, or the gremlin is in BTw/OR systems and Plusnet haven't kicked hard enough for it to be sorted, as it's been going on long enough.
PaulD
Dabbler

Surely now Plusnet are taking the proverbial???
I've received this, edited for brevity ..
"We are pleased to be able to inform you that a member of our Customer Support Centre has now closed Question number [ 67408847 ].
The following comment was added to the Question Dear Mr Draper, Thank you for getting back to us. Please accept our apologies for the delayed response.
I can now confirm that the order has been accepted and the appointment booked for 23/04/13 between 8AM and 1PM.
Please ensure that you are at the property during this period as the engineer will need access to install the fibre equipment. If the engineer cannot gain access, a missed appointment fee of £50 will be due. "
What about when they sent me the emails CONFIRMING an engineer visiting, REF : E0089  "Here's the date you've chosen for an engineer to install your new Plusnet Fibre service:
22/03/2013 AM What happens next?  We'll arrange for an engineer to visit your property on the above date."  for which I had to take a day off work and the engineer DIDN'T TURN UP???
Will Plusnet refund me what it cost me, about £75 Huh
Will Plusnet refund me the same £50???
What a shower, to rub it into a customer who has regularly gone over the 60G limit and thus paid a lot extra into the firm and then wants to stay with them and increase the service seems a tad st00pid to me.
I am seriously considering telling you where to go, this is absolutely ridiculous.
Is there a complaints dept I can request a refund from?  If there is they certainly don't shout about it ...
I am absolutely disgusted at such poor, condescending, and downright demeaning service.  Service HA!!  I really don't think anyone at Plusnet has the first clue what it means to have good customer service or any idea for how a customer feels when they're so comprehensively fobbed off and ridiculed in this way.
Angry
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I'm sorry you feel that way but can't see any messages on your account where we've advised of the 22nd for an appointment date? I placed the replacement order myself (as per the above) on Friday 12th and advised you at that point that the appointment was provisionally booked for the morning of the 23rd, nothing's changed since then and the latest update is only confirming what I'd advised back then?
Please let us know when you received the emails advising of the 22nd and I'll look into it for you. In the mean time the appointment is still booked for the morning of the 23rd.
PaulD
Dabbler

As above, Plusnet ref E0089 received on 16/3/13, copy as follows, though Service Notice #156636491 says it mostly .. last note, I tried to put them in chronological order, latest first and removed parts of my account name .. Wink
"Here's the date you've chosen for an engineer to install your new Plusnet Fibre service:
22/03/2013 AM
What happens next?
------------------
We'll arrange for an engineer to visit your property on the above date. However, if your preferred date isn't available we'll call you within a week to make alternative arrangements.
You can cancel this order at any time up to 4pm on the working day before the order completes.
Kind regards,
Plusnet Customer Support
http://www.plus.net
Email ref: E0089"

Question #67137722 - Your Feedback
< Back
Your Response
11:58am, Saturday 16 Mar 2013
Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
Pending Provisioned Service \'WBC FTTC Annex A 20Mbit/s Up, 80Mbit/s Down, Standard Stability\' added as a part of Account Change process

Question #67137723 - Your Feedback
< Back
Your Response
Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
New Action 21CN Modify Submitted added
(via ADSL2+ Order System Interface)

Service Notice #156636490
< Back
Service Notification
Broadband product change scheduled successfully
To: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
This change will complete on the morning of the engineer appointment

Question #67137724 - Your Feedback
< Back
Your Response
We need to place the order for your phone service once the broadband order has completed. Our support team will pick up this ticket and advise you of the order date once we have placed it.
[INTERNAL]
Account has gone from broadband only to broadband and WLR as chosen by the customer - the broadband order has been placed, please place the WLR order once the broadband order completes. The customer has chosen 'Talk Evenings & Weekends'

Service Notice #156636491
< Back
Service Notification
The customer was mailed the following message to address(es) (postmaster@pauld
Subject: Your fibre broadband installation appointment
Dear Mr D
Account username: pauld

Here's the date you've chosen for an engineer to install your new Plusnet Fibre service:
22/03/2013 AM
What happens next?
------------------
We'll arrange for an engineer to visit your property on the above date. However, if your
preferred date isn't available we'll call you within a week to make alternative arrangements.
You can cancel this order at any time up to 4pm on the working day before the order completes.
Kind regards,
Plusnet Customer Support
http://www.plus.net
Email ref: E0089
--
Plusnet plc
Registered Office, The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GU
Registered in England no: 3279013

--
Plusnet plc
Registered Office, The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GU Registered in England no: 3279013 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, beg pardon... I was confused by the months there and missed that it was in March. Sorry about that.
Looks like the issue at the time was that the order hadn't been placed, I suspect there was a system issue at the time. As I placed the order manually myself this time I can confirm that it's definitely underway and that the appointment is booked for the 23rd of this month, if there are any issues with the engineer visit it'll be down to a supplier problem rather than anything we've done (or not done).
I'll keep checking the order for you on a daily basis and make sure to let you know if we are informed about any issues with the visit that's currently booked.
PaulD
Dabbler

I totally understand all that, but it takes the mickey when Plusnet let me down for one engineer visit then send me an email saying if I let them down for the next visit it'll cost me £50 on top of losing another days pay!
I'd like _my_ £50, which was actually nearer £75, from when they let me down the first time!
You've been great, many thanks, it's a pity the rest of Plusnet support don't live in the real world!