Did you mean: 

Why hasn't Plusnet assist been withdrawn

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Why hasn't Plusnet assist been withdrawn

http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/assist/
Minimum requirements
Operating system: Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit). Windows Vista (32 bit and 64 bit). Windows XP (32 bit with SP2). Processor type: Pentium II or higher. Processor speed: 450 MHz or higher. Memory (RAM): 128 MB or more. Hard drive space free: 200 MB or more. Browser: Internet Explorer only (up to version 9)
Plusnet Assist is not currently compatible with Windows 8 or Internet Explorer versions 10 and above.
Basically the minimum requiremt Windows 7 is a load of rubbish as anyone running that operating system will or should be on IE11
What it should say until it is patched or withdrawn (preferably withdrawn as it is unlikely to be patched) is
Minimum requirements
Operating system:  Windows Vista (32 bit and 64 bit). Windows XP (32 bit with SP2). Processor type: Pentium II or higher. Processor speed: 450 MHz or higher. Memory (RAM): 128 MB or more. Hard drive space free: 200 MB or more. Browser: Internet Explorer only (up to version 9)
Plusnet Assist is not currently compatible with Windows 8 or Windows 7 fully patched or Internet Explorer versions 10 and above.
25 REPLIES 25
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Why hasn't Plusnet assist been withdrawn

Even when it works, it's not that good!  It can - and often does - change things that it doesn't need to change and so causing even more confusion for an inexperienced user.
The kindest thing would be to formally withdraw the product and reduce the effort it takes to NOT support it.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Easy ,,, just Get rid of it  until PN can come up with something that works
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I wonder what the ASA's take on this will be?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ jelv ASA?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx
Anonymous
Not applicable

Embarrassed Of course!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The more people who raise a complaint with ASA the more likely they are to take a look. Anyone who has recently joined and expected Plusnet Assist to be available would be especially significant to the ASA if they raised a complaint.
Anonymous
Not applicable

With PN's apparent adoption of Open Source why don't they offer the source code to the community? By doing so they would end up with a much better product, contributed to by PlusNet's users, which in itself is worth some 'Brownie Points'. The product is digitally signed by PlusNet so they could then use this as an opportunity to audit the code and stage releases rather than have a rolling release.
Out of interest does anyone know what the software is written in?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is based on a BT Desktop Help I believe but modified to suit Plusnet
The BT version has been updated but not the Plusnet derivative http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12941/~/bt-desktop-help
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's reason enough not to I guess. Shame they can acquire BT's updated version.
TORPC
Grafter

PlusNet are so far behind the times on many things & need to play catchup as quick as is humanly possible
That said
As PlusNet Assist is not a priority & never will be, then it should be pulled, to make room for more urgent priorities e.g, updating their billing system, to add a pay now button
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK this may not even be a starter, but what about a community developed version of PN Assist. I'm quite sure there is more than enough talent within the confines of these forums to come up with a replacement. If it was written using Open Source tools like Digia's Qt then there could be versions for Windows and Linux.
I know replacing it would not be a 10 minute job but with enough people on board and a properly managed project and versioning control system in place who knows, or am I just rambling?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

This is definitely something that we are aware of.
It's been mentioned to products before, but I have mentioned it again. As has Chris P, I think.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
TORPC
Grafter

It feels like the Products team are NOT listening & or adhering to the situation @ hand & there should be someone to give them a proper nudge in the right direction or they should face a demotion or lose their job(s)