cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't Engineers bring routers?

ClaptonAndy

Why can't Engineers bring routers?

My router wasn't ordered, so if the engineer turns up (they have 13 minutes) they will not be able to get me online.
Wouldn't it be cheaper & easier for all if they brought routers with them?Huh
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Why can't Engineers bring routers?

Assuming this is FTTC, you can get online without the router with one PC using a direct PPPoE connection.
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Hi ClaptonAndy,
Welcome to the forums and Plusnet.  I'll let plusnet's staff (Digital Care Team aka DCT) deal with why you did not get the router on time.
As for the idea of BTOR's engineer delivering PlusNet's router, the answer is responsibility and logistics.
1. BTOR provides the connection service for all ISPs; your suggestion would require them to carry a range of routers suitable for each ISP.
2. The scope of BTOR's role in an FTTC install is limited to confirming the the modem (which they deliver) synchs with the cabinet, not ensuring that there is end to end connectivity from the router to the relevant ISP
3. Your router is unique to you by reference to its serial number.  That serial number is tied to your account within PNs automatic configuration management systems
Expecting BTOR to be capable of delivering the logistics to manage this is simply not viable - they have enough on their plate managing to turn up at all consistently!
HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've seen the odd occasion when it's been a contractor and they haven't turned up with the modem. Expecting them to have the correct router as well...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi ClaptonAndy,
I can completely see your point and understand why you've asked this question. Unfortunately, as Townman has mentioned, BT Openreach would need to ensure that they have routers from all the different ISP's which isn't something they would do. We like to have the control of knowing that it's either bee sent out of hasn't been sent out.
In this case, there's a very strong possibility that you'll receive your router tomorrow morning, fingers crossed. I'll investigate and find out why it wasn't sent on time, this isn't the first thread I've dealt with regarding the same as of recently - I'm really sorry about that.