cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are we waiting...

kmilburn
Grafter

Why are we waiting...

I know this has been bought up before,  but something really needs to be done about the portal.
Trying to check out my account details, my phone and the help system have been somewhat tiring.
It appears that if the server doesn't respond immediately,  it doesn't seem inclined to do so at all, leaving the browser 'waiting for www.plus.net'; until I get bored and stop it.
Usualy repeating the action will get he desired result.
If it did this on the odd occasion, it would be too bad,  but I'd estimate a 25% chance of clicking a link in the portal leaving us wating!  Angry
14 REPLIES 14
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Why are we waiting...

Hi kmilburn,
There's been no reported issues elsewhere at the moment of any slowdowns. I've refreshed the portal component on your account to see if this helps speed things along.
It certainly shouldn't be happening 25% of the time.
Let me know how your get on.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Oh yes it does and there are, I get exactly the same. A lot see these issues and most of us have moaned so many times, were are fed up with wasting time complaining (most of the time). So are Plusnet going to do anything about it? Have they done anything about it in the last 'x' years? I think I can answer both my own questions and the answers are in the negative
Anotherone
Champion

Just to add to the information, these delays can occur when logged in and moving between pages etc. as well as when tryng to log in, in other words it's not just a logging in issue which I know some have mentioned recently.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Thanks for the detailed information Anotherone, like you say it may be that nobody has mentioned it recently.
I'll raise this to our web team and take it from there.
kmilburn
Grafter

It seems to be operating better at the moment,  but there were still a few times I considered heading for the stop button.
Anotherone
Champion

Ha, more info, as it's just happened to me again, these delays sometimes cause the "connection to be reset" - with the option - "try again" (not PPP session or sync ) just to the page in question, and as I was just posting an update to a ticket, "Try again" responds on FF with "Resend data" and doing so causes a double post. Next time I'll just try a refresh and see what happens, remembering to copy my post in case it disappears into the ether (had that before as well).
mushy
Grafter

Not sure if this is relevent or not but for me using the portal from home isn't a problem, using it through work is slow, times out regularly or plain just locks up so may be some sort of restriction from the system that is being used.
Just to take it one step further connecting to the portal through work we find it easier using firefox instead of IE and use that as a workaround.
This is the same when using my laptop at home and at the work place so it can't be with just using different systems as excuse for the slow connections but as i have no control of the works sysytem security i couldnt take that any further.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

FYI We've been upgrading massive areas of our code base and the hardware they run on, including the portal servers recently. I'm aware that this is a topic that's cropped up multiple times in the past, however every time we've looked into it there hasn't been a major underlying issue. Next time this happens can you note which page of the website you're on, the date/time and how long it takes to process your request/login.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Note to self - enable Firebug again and annoy Chris with multiple reports  Grin Grin
Anotherone
Champion

He can have multiple reports alright  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

Just typical, since the moaning, someone has put some money in the meter!
kmilburn
Grafter

As mentioned elsewhere,  I've got Firebug running at the moment..    
On here,  the biggest delay in loading the pages appears to be the browser attempting to load a number of files, all of which return 404 errors.  Oddly, looking at some of the timing, it's taking 3 times longer to respond with the 404 than it does to return the files that are present.
One other thing I've noticed recently,  when using Opera on my Android tablet,  I don't get any stalled pages like i see on Firefox,  however, I do get occasional messages of "Connection closed by remote server",  which could be a different symptom of the same issue.
Edit:  webmail comment moved to https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108370.msg932357.html#msg932357
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can we keep reports of mail/webmail separate as they are completely different servers to the portal and community boxes.
As a few others have noted today, the portal and community sites both seem to be running pretty well at the moment. We're moving part of the community platform over to a new data centre early tomorrow morning so hopefully we'll continue to see the faster sites.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

As far as the portal goes pretty much as reply #11.
Have posted on Community Site & Forums board re them. I also note jelv's got a poll running on Feedback!
Will add to Email board shortly.