cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are existing customers NOT appreciated

Leajayse16

Why are existing customers NOT appreciated

This afternoon I renewed my Plusnet contract. Afterwards I again took a look at the offers, noticed some cheaper prices and then the magic words, 'New Customers Only,'  and I thought, so what's wrong with me then? I've been with Plusnet a number of years, never missed a payment and this is how I'm treated? 

I decided to find some answers and went onto Chat. Well that was an experience. It took 19 minutes to get an answer to that plus why had I not been offered the cash back? Her reply didn't make sense saying that as a new customer I must have received  the Cash Back. Huh? It's NEVER happened new or anything else. She kept apologizing but that was it. 

I think this is the first time I have ever complained but isn't it time Plusnet appreciated that loyal and reliable customers are their bread and butter and not the newbies that they constantly chase after with attractive offers who are also unknown quantities!!!

31 REPLIES 31
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Why are existing customers NOT appreciated

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to Feedback

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

I had a very similar conversation when I recently contacted COT to renew my contract. Whilst I eventually got a deal that I considered acceptable if not wonderful, it was not as good as the new customer deals especially considering the cashback offers. When I pointed this out I was also told that as an existing customer I must have benefited from such an introductory offer when I joined. I pointed out that I joined in 2005 or 2007 (I cannot recall which) and that no such offers were available then. The rep clearly did not believe me!

I agree that it is about time loyalty was rewarded especially considering that it does not cost Plusnet anything to set existing customers up or to send out a router.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@jgb  I note from the info just below your avatar on your post... you "joined" ( the forum ) 1st August 2007

Like the O.P. and yourself, I have been with PlusNet forever and a day  ( actually.... 6 November 2007) ..

It really annoys me, that we,... ( the senior members, and the most loyal, members) have to  grovel on the phone, or live chat,

to someone, who is paid to listen to us grovelling, and then come up with "something like a deal". that is nowhere near as good as those new customers.. from a pre-prepared script.

that could have been offered to us, via the renewal notice...  

Oh.. No..  Can`t have that,... would not be ethical....  ? ? ? ? 

Talk  about "suck it and see".... well, the new customers get sucked in, and then they are, like us loyal long term customers, sucked dry, until we get that renewal notice. and then we have to grovel again, to be allowed to continue being treated like a sucker for another 18 months, or whatever.

There is a lot of stuff around, about how badly insurance companies are, at hiking up the prices on "auto renewals"... and hoping that the sucker they send it out to, will just pay up, without question...

Seems that Internet Service Providers, have been taking lessons from them.... 

Now that IS ethical.... apparently...

Dick Turpin would be a great guy for the CEO of any modern business today... just go about robbing people, and it`s all perfectly legal..

Leajayse16

I completely fail to see the logic.Every year for instance I change my insurance company. Never a missed payment, never (thankfully) an insurance claim and yet you can guarantee the new quote will be higher so now I don't bother, I just go hunting for another company, get a quote, compare and then sign up with the new one.

I suppose what REALLY irritated me apart from being an existing customer was my mobile phone contract. I have Pay As You Go and only use the phone for emergencies but you can guarantee when you have one you've run out of credit so I pay £7 per month so that I don't. There is a healthy balance so what does Plusnet do? They put the price up by 35p! 35p for heaven's sake! Are they that short of money??Talk about how to make friends and influence people!!!

Moan over.

jgb
Champion

@shutter 

Yes, I joined the forum in 2007 but I joined Plusnet in 2005 - I've found the joining information!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am due to renew my contracts next month and for me and Plusnet nothing has changed, the service is the same now as it was at the beginning of this contract. So when I call in I expect the price rise for me to be no more than inflation, but will this be the case? Time will tell.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Pretty much always with introductory offers for new customers there is a period where you get lower price and then it goes up to normal price,  this can be six months, 12 months sometimes 18 months - now with insurance it probably doesn't matter as the policy runs for a year, you get a new price every year, and decide whether to take it or go elsewhere. With continuing contracts like ISP you just fall onto full tariff and because you pay by direct debit most people don't really notice their monthly payment has gone up ( this is why companies just lurrrrv DD ). My mate had a problem with Sky when he asked for introductory rates and they refused, he just swapped contract into his wifes name and got the new offer, but they have probably plugged that avenue now with something like - introductory offers not available at existing customer address ....

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

It's a wate of time quoting new customer price. The trick is to quote a lower competitors price. If Plusnet can't get within a reasonable comparative level then there's a sinple option.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Been happening everywhere for years. Loss leaders at the supermarket, interest rates at banks, insurance, etc. Amazes me how the new offers of £23.99pm unlimited fire and line only + £95 cashback for 18 months can be profitable. Especially when after 18 months you up and leave.One rate for everybody all the time would seem a mch fairer way of doing it.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Worth reading this OFCOM announcement on 25/9/2019  Angel

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jgb
Champion

@MauriceC 

I assume this is the link:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/fairer-prices-for-broadband-customers

Worth noting that Plusnet is not mentioned but they will be bound by any industry wide requirements.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm sure some bright spark at plusnet thought copying what insurance companies etc were doing was a great idea.

But as often said completely missing the point that unlike the other companies, that take advantage of their customers, they also have connection and router charges to account for.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Oops!  Finger trouble again.  That is the link I meant to add.Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Leajayse16 wrote: I suppose what REALLY irritated me apart from being an existing customer was my mobile phone contract. I have Pay As You Go and only use the phone for emergencies but you can guarantee when you have one you've run out of credit so I pay £7 per month so that I don't. There is a healthy balance so what does Plusnet do? They put the price up by 35p! 35p for heaven's sake! Are they that short of money??Talk about how to make friends and influence people!!!

Moan over.

And why not have a moan! Smiley

How about going on a monthly contract? £7 a month seems high for a standby phone or is that paying for a phone as well? I only pay £7.50 a month for 4Gb data / 3000 min of calls and 5000 txts. I never use it all, no matter how much I try. As the step daughter has recently arrived, just got her setup today on her phone. £8 got her 4gb data and unlimited calls and txts. We could have got her a much cheaper deal at £5 a month but getting her on the same network as her mum gets her free calls between them. I know there might be advantages to using PAYG (used to have one myself) but that balance might be better used elsewhere.

But I think most companies seem to operate on inertia syndrome! I do know when I got my deal - I'm actually paying less now for 4 times more, than I was 4 years ago - they asked whether I'd looked at the main telco site for deals. Sure! They wanted 2.5 times more! Shop around and if necessary move on. Easy to take your number with you as well.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?