Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I have left Plusnet

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Why I have left Plusnet

Not being rude at all, but possibly expressing a valid point of view that you just don't like.  If you want to make a report for expressing differing views, you'll find the "Report to mods link" under the posts options. Thumbs_Up

It does seem though rather OTT to decide to leave a supplier you apparently seem to have been quite happy with (until recently), just because you cannot move the billing date.  I did not say that you had money problems, just that I could not see what the difficulty is in just planning cash flow to pay the bill when it arrives.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Shame this point wasn't addressed -

@andytay wrote: My service has been a pain in the rear over the past 2 months from slow speeds to noise on the line whilst making phone calls. Plusnet say there is no issues with my line.

If you can still hear audible crackling noise on the line you need to report a Phone fault, do it whilst the line is noisy - ring in rather than use any other form of reporting and get the adviser to confirm they can hear the noise. Intermittent noise can be a real pain sometimes and if the cause of the fault doesn't show when an engineer tests it can be a *** to track down, and unfortunately it affects the broadband.

As for

@andytay wrote:

Now where do i make a complaint about a forum member?

SpendLessTime has just advised as I was about to post the same information Wink

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm not getting something here: if you don't have money issues and the bill is always paid, why does the service end up being restricted?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ronski
Rising Star

@andytay wrote:

Nice one guys!

I have never known a service provider where you cant change your direct debit date! so every 15th of the month i get a message saying your service has been restricted. Ok some of you maybe thinking why is that an issue? well i am paid monthly on the last working day of each month so thats my issue. I contacted Plusnet about this(in 2017) they said that this is in the pipeline and customers will be able to pick a date to pay their bill. 

I'm with @Townman on this apart from his in ability to spot your speed issues, you clearly imply your service has been restricted  after your bill is due, this in turn clearly implies it hasn't been paid. You then go on to further reinforce  that conclusion by saying the problem is that you are paid on the last day of the month, therefore the clear assumption to be made is that come the 15th you have no money left to pay PN.

Perhaps this advice would be better on the  money saving experts forums, but it's  still valid here. My advice would be to open another bank account for direct debit, standing orders and saving for infrequent bills etc. Then when paid transfer  enough money to the other bank account to cover them.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Ronski
Rising Star

I've been trying to reply but my post is instantly being moderated and rejected, I've no idea why, as there is no explanation, if this is how it works here now I'm glad I'm leaving soon after 15 years!

Perhaps this advice would be better on the  money saving experts forums, but it's  still valid here. My advice would be to anyone who can't budget for bills is to open another bank account for direct debits, standing orders and saving for infrequent bills etc. Then when paid transfer  enough money to the other bank account to cover them.

Shoeless
Dabbler

I am rather [-Censored-] with my finances and it doesn't help that the banks take forever to process payments made in shops.  But any issues are entirely of my own making.

And this is why I do exactly as Ronski suggests.

Mav
Fixes: 515

@Ronski wrote:

I've been trying to reply but my post is instantly being moderated and rejected, I've no idea why, as there is no explanation, if this is how it works here now I'm glad I'm leaving soon after 15 years!

Your post had been caught by the Spam Filter which sometimes happens after an edit. Nothing sinister going onWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ronski, @Shoeless - I don’t see the point or logic in having a second account if the issue is budgeting as it’s only another thing to remember. What’s it’s balance, what DDs do I have, what’s the total of these, when are they due etc.

By far the best advice I’d give anyone is to use a spreadsheet, and do your budgeting that way and if done correctly it would tell you to the penny how much money you have, how much you need and when do you need it.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you have the spreadsheet on your phone and update it immediately you spend anything? The problem for some people is that checking their balance on their smart phone or on a cash machine will be out of date (especially now people use cards for many small payments that previously would have been cash) - and neither will show upcoming payments.

Ronski's suggestion is fail safe and requires no day to day effort in keeping any records or spreadsheet up to date.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Shoeless
Dabbler

Exactly.  If it's in another account which is topped up by known amounts at certain intervals to pay for other known amounts at different intervals then it acts like a capacitor and it can't go wrong.

Switch payments aren't instantaneous and don't get flagged up in one's account immediately which is where problems lie.   I once challenged my bank about this (because it can't be that hard!) and they told me that the maximum delay for the funds to come out of the account is THREE MONTHS!

Little wonder we earthlings have problems with this stuff and the cynic in me believes that this is done on purpose as to incur maximum penalty charges.

Ronski
Rising Star

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ronski, @Shoeless - I don’t see the point or logic in having a second account if the issue is budgeting as it’s only another thing to remember. What’s it’s balance, what DDs do I have, what’s the total of these, when are they due etc.

By far the best advice I’d give anyone is to use a spreadsheet, and do your budgeting that way and if done correctly it would tell you to the penny how much money you have, how much you need and when do you need it.

A great suggestion and certainly a very good step, but many people cant cope with spreadsheets, they may not have the ability, or the drive to keep it up to date. I use Microsoft Money, have done for over 20 years, it takes a lot of time and dedication to keep it up to date, especially when it doesn't balance. This means I'm usually totally on top of my financial position, using a dedicated program is a lot easier than a spreadsheet but still very hard work and I bet a lot of people wouldn't cope.

@Shoeless sums it up nicely, another benefit of opening another bank account is that you are quite likely if you meet the requirements to get a one off payment for doing it 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using a second account is to me at least the easy way out and doesn’t really help with budgeting. If you are able to put the money you need in to a second account then why can’t you leave it in your existing account!

Of course the answer there is it might me spent meaning bad budgeting. Hence my recommendation for a spreadsheet, OK it is not for everyone, but if you are serious about budgeting then it’s a good place to start. I know it’s not the most convenient but if done right it is the most exact and you can see where you are spending and maybe what you can reduce your spending on, and as a user of the spreadsheet when you see your ‘live’ balance it is very tempting to see how high you can keep it helping you spend less and save a few extra pounds.

Ronski
Rising Star

Well after some 15 years I have left Plus Net, but it's not because of any issues with PN, although we had issues over the years the service has been very good, mainly as I rarely needed to contact support. The biggest problem I ever had was when BTor used my brothers line for someone else a few days after it was activated, PN support just went round and round in circles.

The reason I've left is because Virgin Media became available, full fibre to the house in a brand new area for Virgin, so hopefully no congestion issues. I opted for Vivid 350 and currently tops out at 384/21 which is way better than the 46/6 I get on FTTC which of course PN can do nothing about.

In the 15 years I've been with PN very little seems to have changed, at least that I can remember, so I totally agree with what Jelv has said, but still felt sad leaving.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But Plusnet are cheap - I suppose you get what you pay for.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Cheap is no excuse for not fixing things they know dont work Shocked

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .