Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I have left Plusnet

Shoeless
Dabbler

Re: Why I have left Plusnet

Just seen two more today where the Plusnet system failed to place the order:

That happened to me too.  Moved into a new property at the end of November 2017 and I had arranged for a Broadband Only Connection.        All went well apart from the Broadband part because PN forgot to order the broadband which, for a broadband only connection is pretty important.

Only seventeen more months before I can find a better supplier.

mrick
Dabbler

I attempted to reply to your post, but, having "drafted" my message, I received the message that the site was down for maintenance...!

Briefly (this time) I want / need to leave Plusnet because of painfully slow speeds, and the other reasons to which you refer.

Which ISP would you recommend - I seem to remember, some years ago, that "Zen" was recommended - speed and quality of srvice being more important than "bargain-basement" prices.

I'd be grateful for your advice.

Regards,

Mike 

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If quality of service and a pro-active ISP who monitors your line is your top priority, then AAISP consistently comes top of ratings. But they are expensive. See https://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php and https://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/products/171.html for a recent reviews.

Zen seems to have slipped down the ratings a bit in recent months.

Couldn't comment on any others.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mrick
Dabbler

Many thanks.

Regards,

Mike

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@mrick wrote:

Briefly (this time) I want / need to leave Plusnet because of painfully slow speeds, and the other reasons to which you refer.

Hi Mike,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Mind sharing a little about your issue and what have you done in trying to resolve the problem?  If it is all related to your line, then changing ISPs is unlikely to change things - the problem needs fixing (if it is fixable).  Unless the issue is related to an individual ISP's back haul capacity, slow speed it much more likely to be down to either YOUR individual line or (if comparing with TT or Sky) could be that BTw do not have ADSL2 available at your exchange.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"If it is all related to your line, then changing ISPs is unlikely to change things -"

Is indeed correct.

However, a non BT goup company might well be more proactive with regards chasing OR with the problem. PN dare not do this because it could displease their masters - BT.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi NAT,

Possibly ... though equally relevant is that BTw / BTOR might be more responsive to not-in-the-BT-group resellers.  There has been more than a little empirical evidence that the playing field is not as level as Ofcom require it to be ... but not enough objective evidence to prove it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mrick
Dabbler

Dear Townman,

Thank you for your reply, and thank you to the others who have responded.

I should say that I am not IT-technical (and therein may lie the problem!), but the main issue is the slowness of my computer in opening, particularly in relation to e-mails.

I complained to Plusnet (who "lost my correspondence"), so I then went to the Regulator, which resulted in Plusnet sending a BT Engineer to check my line, which was in order, apparently.

I then paid for a professional computer engineer to check the computer and connections, but he could find no technical reason for the slowness, and opined that the problem was the "cloud being overcrowded".

When I put this to Plusnet, they said that I should use an alternative to their website for my e-mails.

Enough already!

Kind regards,

Mike 

Shoeless
Dabbler

Mike

I really think that you need a different computer engineer if this is his learned diagnosis.

If the computer is slow opening up, that is: slow to start-up then this would suggest that the problem may be more with your machine.

As for eMails: I always recommend to people to use an eMail client such as Thunderbird rather than suffer web based eMail. But I don't think that this is going to help you much because I would think that the problem is with the computer and not the connection.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think @mrick problem is Plusnet's webmail service being slow:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Problems-with-Webmail/td-p/1376369

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

+1 the problem lies with WEBMAIL

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
andytay
Rising Star

Nice one guys!

I have been with Plusnet for about 3 years and at first i couldnt fault them for reliability and customer support (via forum)I have never known a service provider where you cant change your direct debit date! so every 15th of the month i get a message saying your service has been restricted. Ok some of you maybe thinking why is that an issue? well i am paid monthly on the last working day of each month so thats my issue. I contacted Plusnet about this(in 2017) they said that this is in the pipeline and customers will be able to pick a date to pay their bill. We are in 2018 and still no word from them.My service has been a pain in the rear over the past 2 months from slow speeds to noise on the line whilst making phone calls. Plusnet say there is no issues with my line.

My biggest mistake was taking out a new contract so i could avoid the fee of moving house where at first i got a good DL speed but now im stuck at 34-36, lowest was 3.3!!! and a constant buffering of youview and web browsing and again there is no issue according to plusnet.

Once my contract expires i'll be joining you guys and abandon this sinking ship!

Take care those who leave and i hope you find a better service else where.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Your billing date is the anniversary of your service start up date - so it is very predictable.

Surely you know when you get a paid, that you will have a bill to pay on the 15th of the following month - what's the problem with you putting aside the right amount of money to pay the bill when it arrives?  It is called budgeting your cash flow.  Why do people expect supplier's cash flows to accommodate their inability to manage their money to pay bills when they are due?

So in three years of service, the only complaint you have is that Plusnet will not move the billing date to fix your inability to put aside enough money at the start of the month to pay a bill due in 15 day's time?

andytay
Rising Star

Like i stated in my post plusnet is the only provider that doesnt allow you to change the date.As for Cash flow i think you are rude i dont have money issues and the bill is always paid so please stop being rude and get off your high horse.

Now where do i make a complaint about a forum member?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@andytay

Click on the post options  of the post you wish to complain about. Click "Report to Moderator".

If the Moderator does not agree with you and you wish to take it further then you will need to complain to Plusnet directly. Plusnet's Complaints Code Of Practice link is at the bottom of every page and has the details for Official Complaints.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT