Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I have left Plusnet

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Why I have left Plusnet

Plusnet are indeed fortunate to have a number of customers with IT skills on these forms who are willing to help other customers with various software or hardware problems.

Their advice has helped me a number of times....so thanks guys.

Smiley

We are born into history and history is born into us.
petecov23
Dabbler

@St3 wrote:

I think BT are to blame ... they made abig mess of their own company and now they doing the same here.... its only a matter of time before plusnet is almost as bad as BT.

That happened around 2009.. Keep up Smiley 

sa54

You have more than described my increasing discontent. A customer of many years, I'm about to jumps ship too.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's finding a balance between a cheap service and the level of customer aggravation caused.

Eventually, the latter causes the exit of the customer.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

they may think again once people start leaving

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

One Year On

It's exactly a year since I made the post that started this topic - time to review progress. For some of the topics I raised the answer is pretty straightforward.

Unfortunately the thinkbroadband comparison tool is broken so I can't update that the graphs.

Here are the issues I raised:

IPv6

Zilch

Secure email

Zilch

New accounts system

Promises keep being made that it is coming, but no actual evidence of progress.

New Network

A painful transition, but they got there. However one of Plusnet's best features (the ability to prioritise different traffic types on individual lines without limiting the overall throughput) has now gone - possibly because they couldn't make it work on the new network.

Webmail and mail servers

A year ago I said:

The current large topic running on these forums (“Webmail  - Extremely Slow”) was started in May and they are now indicating a solution early December.

Unfortunately they didn't say December which year - looking like it could be December 2018 at the current rate of progress.

Communicating with Plusnet

Still seeing the same promises that things will improve. A year ago I posted

For the last year or so, wait times on both the phones and chat have been totally unacceptable. This is coupled with the quality of the support when you do get through often being below acceptable levels. One thing I have noticed in recent months is a significant increase in the number of times the Help Team, when responding to complaints on the community forums, have had to apologise and feed back to CSC managers. Increasingly this is not a failure to understand or deal with an issue, but getting it completely wrong.

I've not noticed any improvement.

Technical knowledge of Plusnet

Is the failure to sort out webmail and to deliver the new accounts system a sign of the depth of technical ability at Plusnet? I have severe doubts.

Orders System

If anything we are seeing more issues such as failed orders not being picked up.

Pro Add-on

This now seems to be used as a fudge to get over issues caused by the withdrawal of traffic prioritisation. Asking people to pay extra to make it work the way it should in the first place?

Fibre Product Range

TalkTalk has upgraded all users from 40/2 so Plusnet has followed suit. Good that the ridiculous 40/2 is dead but not impressed with the way it came about!

Conclusion

Once I retire and no longer need to be guaranteed good support in the event of problems would I return to Plusnet? I did think that was a distinct possibility if they were showing signs of sorting themselves out - not much sign of that happening. They still seem intent on being a bargain basement ISP with all that implies.

BTW: Today I noticed some lost packet spikes at regular 30 minute intervals on my thinkbroadband broadband quality meter (it's not actually affecting me in practice). I contacted AAISP - but it took an abnormally long time for them to respond on the chat room - about 5 minutes. Within a couple of hours I had an answer back from them to tell me it was an issue they have raised with ZyXEL. Not only had their first line support been able to understand the issue I was raising but they had researched and come back with an answer. That's what I call support.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Just goes to show , that after 12 months Plusnet have Neither the Knowledge or intention to make any improvements Ticked_off

Like has been mentioned in loads of Posts they just are just happy to rest on their previous awards Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

A shame it makes such depressing reading, but thanks for the update @jelv.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@jelv wrote:

Orders System

If anything we are seeing more issues such as failed orders not being picked up.

Just seen two more today where the Plusnet system failed to place the order: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/Ridiculous-amount-of-time-to-wait-for-activation-no-online-ch...

I swear it's getting worse!

royleestoves
Grafter

Well I'm done, this DNS issue for an ISP is laughable. You won't get this rubbish with other ISP's. On to the next company for me Smiley

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

@jelv wrote:

They still seem intent on being a bargain basement ISP with all that implies.

Unless of course you are a market one customer - in which case they are not even that!

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

jelv wrote:

Just seen two more today where the Plusnet system failed to place the order: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/Ridiculous-amount-of-time-to-wait-for-activation-no-online-ch...

Already on the SU list @jelv 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've seen some pretty bad reports of provisioning failures, but this one caps the lot!

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/Upgrade-order-placed-on-hold-16-times-since-22nd-October-2017...

They are definitely getting worse! Someone should be taking ownership of this.

Edit: And another [-Censored-]-up: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/what-is-pulsnet-fiber-upload-speed/m-p/1501798

Provisioned on 40/2 and when he rings in the idiot in CS tries to tell him it is normal - he was getting 6 upload on Sky and BT.

passwordpublish

I've been on the point of leaving Plusnet many times for most of these reasons. My assessment was the same; they have concentrated on growing customers and not employed the staff to cope; wait times are risible, and all issues are treated in a casual manner with a quick copy and paste job without engaging with the problem, assuming usually that the user was totally ignorant. On one query about my broadband slowing down to nothing with small parcels getting through with minute long waits, they sent me instructions o setting up the router! This when I've been with them for twenty years plus. After complaining about this, the next response was much the same, a disconnected, bored employee taking nothing in and probably on FB or Twitter by choice instead of working. Being tied into an 18 month contract is galling when you see offers of the same service for four or more pounds a month cheaper to new customers. They just don't value long time customers, so why should we value them?

nbk
Grafter

I haven't had too many issues with plusnet to be honest...
Speed problems at some point in the evening a year ago but those seem resolved now...

My fathers workplace recently upgraded to FTTC from ADSL and the upgrade was complete the following week. One slight issue there was over the weekend the line profile was somehow reset to 20Mb so download was limited but a phone call straight through to tech support, quick drop and reconnect and it was running fine.

Oh..

Ok maybe there was a big issue. They'd had plusnet ADSL for over a decade...it was long out of contract and...not once had there been any contact with the customer to say they'd been over paying...40 quid a month they were on for ADSL2+.

Ok yeah not everything is perfect 😐 At least now I know to keep an eye on prices in case there's any more price drops.