Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I have left Plusnet

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Why I have left Plusnet

If I may.....

Out of curiosity I tried to go on to AA's site and I too get the above. Maybe PN are DDoSing AA just to get back at jelv for leaving!!! (I'll get my coat)

I was with BT for several years and it was only after trying to renew my contracts (a few years back), that BT wouldn't give me what I wanted - too much money for the services I was going to use - so I moved to $ky as I was able to get a better deal. I stayed with them for 2 years as their deals were good and I never had any major issues with them or their services but my last renewal attempt was still going to increase my costs to them by over £20 pm. I then read jelv's original post on this thread and looked at AA. I have to admit it was way more than I was willing to pay* and thus took the plunge and came to PN. Now it was a decent deal but to date it's not been without issue (PN staff, if you read this then by all means look at all of the multiple tickets/notes you've made and the emails you've sent) and unless I pay to leave I'm stuck here for the duration. I have to believe PN will sort my issues out soon enough. It's at this point jelv's thoughts and feelings make great sense to me and I totally understand the reason for him leaving.

*for me, the price is more important than the speed (though I was genuinely surprised to see that PN's fibre offering caps the upload to 2mbps, that I noticed only at the point of giving them our post code and phone number, for them to call us back and give their sales pitch,but that's another story).

At the end of the day, luckily none of us are the same and it's each to their own, isn't it?

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

No problem getting to their website (12:56 pm Saturday 07/01/17).

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

https://aastatus.net/apost.cgi?incident=2338

Closed at 11:40

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm guessing some of those for whom AAISP is too expensive wouldn't find the basic 150GB download allowance of Home::1 enough. In my case I think my highest ever usage was around 60-70GB - typically it's around 40GB.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

even with the 150GB limit it's still £35pm without line rental though. (£45 with line at £10pm which give a broadband only line).
at that price i'd be expecting unlimited, and even then it's still pretty hefty in price.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep I have to admit that status site is good you get a 'running' commentary of the issue and told when it was resolved, OK you don't get told what the problem was, but at least it's acknowledged and actioned, a lesson some other ISPs could learn from.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

You're right jelv, it's our, sorry my son's, current usage as he's a keen gamer. What took me well over a month to get through a few years back now takes a day or two:( - going back even further, it was hard to reach 6GB per month!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't know how much I download on PN - is this a ploy to stop people migrating to professional ISP's?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Im fedup with getting speed reductions at different times of the day, my connection used to be a solid 74/19 now its 62/18 and if im really honest its now anything upto 62 down. Last night i was 56 and right now im 41.... its up and down all the time.

I would move to AAISP if they were unlimited and slightly cheaper, i guess Zen is the next best isp from what ive been reading.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@jelv wrote:

Before Christmas I reported an issue accessing Plusnet sites located in Sheffield which turned out to be due to a block being put on my IP. Chris said he'd get the block lifted - I'm still waiting.

I couldn't understand what had caused the traffic that led to my IP being blocked, but it now appears that it may have been an issue at Plusnet's end anyway: https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Strange-routing-issue-unable-to-access-main-Plusnet-se...

@Anonymous wrote:

I too have been the victim of an automated block caused by a cyclic redirect within one of Plusnet’s HTML pages that I just happened to land on. It managed 3.5K hits on the server within 10 minutes resulting in my ban. But I have to say my ban was lifted during a phone call.

jrilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I had no idea there were so many smaller providers! I have to say PN service has been mostly okay but not great, they are cheap though.  I'm hopefully going to have fibre at some point this side of 2020 but cant decide if I should stay or jump ship. 

Anyone ever heard of IDNet? Slightly cheaper than Zen but make some interesting claims about their network, low latency etc. Not sure how they do that? No free router though it seems.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Well this is all now getting very silly. My IP is still blocked from accessing anything on the Sheffield located servers.

It seems that Plusnet are intent on making things awkward for me - retribution for starting this topic?

The initial post here has been liked 39 times* (I don't recall any other posts getting anything near that number of posts) and was I thought very constructive feedback.

*If anyone hasn't clicked like on the post but agrees with most of what I've said please go to the post and click like - there must come a point when the number of likes means senior Plusnet management take notice!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@jelv  i don't believe PN management ever take notice of customers Embarrassed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Sadly I fear that you are largely correct.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Today was a bit of a milestone in the history of this topic - the original post has now passed 50 likes. I don't recall any other post getting anything like that.

Still no response from Plusnet!