cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I have left Plusnet

nbk
Grafter

Re: Why I have left Plusnet

Compared to you guys I'm a relatively new customer coming up to 2 years of service

When I first got it the service was pretty damn good...

Except it wasn't. When I was on the right gateway it was pretty good but on the wrong gateway (usually PCL ones...I tended to stick to PTN/W-BNG's) it was awful with inconsistent speeds and high latency. So throught the first year and a quarter I was gateway hopping a lot every time I needed to reconnect.

Then march this year I was switched to the new network and things improved MASSIVELY. Latency was a lot lower, speeds were a lot more consistent...odd port scans on some of the IPs though (but hey nothing like the constant port 23 scanning this days).

That's until the issues started happening...firstly with the weird national lottery website issue and then inconsistency started creeping in with speeds and latency. Since August this year it's been blowing hot and cold with regards to performance.

Since I can gateway hop performance is hit and miss. PCL is still pretty awful for me and PTW-BNG gateways have high latency and inconsistent speeds. Stranged PSB-BNG01 is the best performer for me but it seems to have hissy fits and kick me off repeatedly. Until this month I had a good couple of months connected to PSB-BNG01 without any issues whatsoever. Since then I can barely last 4 days before it gets disconnected (while the modem does indeed stay connected).

So yeah...in 2 years it's gone from a very good/stable connection to...very hit and miss. Still, can it get any better at this price point? I know I can't afford Zen prices and BT service is pretty awful...so what's a guy to do?

It's all well and good a few people voting with their feet but unless it happens en masse is it going to make a difference?

I'm sure the majority of people just put up with things...because there arent many other worthwhile options.

On a side note the reason I ended up with Plusnet is because Be Unlimited's customer base got sold to sky and whilst I used sky's ADSL2+ service without any real issue, I didnt want to pay their prices and have to use their line rental when my cab got FTTC enabled so plusnet was the best choice. If Be hadn't sold to sky I can guarantee to myself I'd still be on their service. (I even used their Speedtouch 780 BeBox for nearly a decade on Be. Ah well Smiley )

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Im sure I can remember that not too long ago the average score was circa 21-22,

No I wasn't dreaming, a quick hack to pull out just the 2012 figures show an average score of 22.46 out of a maximum 25 points

AVG Customer ratings for Plusnet in 2012AVG Customer ratings for Plusnet in 2012

Quick total summary

2012 - 22.46
2013 - 21.92
2014 - 19.32
2015 - 16.09
2016 - 15.61

The largest drops have been for Customer Service which was AVG rating of 4.42 out of 5 in 2012
Now getting just  2.86 out of 5.

To save spamming this thread if anyone wants a fuller breakdown, I shall post the figures in jelv's thread on my own forum when I have a detailed breakdown for each year.

longshanks67
Grafter

Being new to this forum I read these excellent contributes, very good comments indeed, I have been a customer for 8 years and I too have noticed a slow decay in services, perhaps the powers to be within Plusnets hierarchy will take note of all these  comments! but sadly I don't think they will.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I dont know how many here read the TBB forums , i saw this and thought i would share here

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/4518007-why-i-have-left-plusnet.html?fpart=2#Post4518317

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Some good points, @jelv..... as you know,.. I have been battling with PN about the phone system for about 7yrs now.... and the answer is...

"Give us time, and we`ll get there"...

so isn`t 7 years enough time ? ? ? 

and the same thing about the Live Chat ... "is not available at present,... please try later "....   When they eventually got around to putting something up about it.. ( the adblocker problem) .....  the guy was miffed because I berated him (aka plusnet) for taking so long to do it...

he expected some "thanks and praise"   WOT  ?   come on... play fair..... 

monabri
Grafter

And there's me thinking that the extra money for landline was going to improve customer support. Well, that's what they told me!

Eserim
Rising Star

All the reasons in the OP are the reasons why I too will be leaving when my contract is up.  For me the switching off of email tickets and the non-appearance of SSl on email are the two real issues.  Their contemptuous attitude to SSL "Well, why don't you use Gmail then" is ridiculous.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@jelv,

It makes a very sad read to learn that you've departed - even sadder that there's so much truth in what you've said.

If find it incredible that no one from customer care / user support or whatever they are called around here these days has made a single comment on here.  Someone should be fired (or better still resign) for this state of affairs.

Much of the issues you cite would take very little effort to address and would deliver a good deal of benefit through a reduction in end user support calls.  Sadly many of the people who made a real difference are no longer on the front line, are no longer allowed to make a difference or are no longer with PlusNet.  We all know who they are... !

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Exmoor

How very true and informative . Bt should be stripped of its sly monopoly and we need to get a proper broadband network up and running now it has to be government run as industry is not capable 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Townman wrote:

If find it incredible that no one from customer care / user support or whatever they are called around here these days has made a single comment on here.

Absolutely unbelievable that such an erudite, articulate, well reasoned and acclaimed post should receive zero official response. Are the Plusnet lions being held back by the donkeys above them?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I am NOT surprised PN has not made any comments here ,   Because they would have to admit to what Jelv has said is correct !!!

Especially when your read this too https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Losing-connection-to-online-games-again/m-p/1396426/hi...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Plusnet may not have commented on this topic, but something else has happened which may or may not just be a co-incidence.

I made the original post in this topic on 27th November. Since the end of November I have been blocked from accessing www.plus.net, portal.plus.net, webmail.plus.net.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

jelv wrote:Since the end of November I have been blocked from accessing www.plus.net, portal.plus.net, webmail.plus.net.

I saw this and wondered if there were a typo in your original post. I can see how your log-in on a PlusNet site could be blocked but simple access to www.plus.net? How would the server know it was you? A block on a particular, fixed IP address? Clearly a block, so far, missed extending to this forum (although my understanding is that it is hosted for PlusNet rather than by them).

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's my IP that has been blocked from accessing web services services hosted on any servers in the Plusnet datacentre. These forums are hosted by Lithium so won't be affected.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mssystems
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What The Flip, they lost you Jelv!  I always thought of you as the knowledgable and fair PN advocate.  It really must be bad when the voice of reason gives up.

My first invoice from PN was in 2003, when I switched from ISDN to ADSL.  Back then PN were at the leading edge and offerred a value added package for small businesses which was hard to beat.  These days, at best they provide me with an adequate IP only service but even the quality there is declining; in inverse proportion to the occurence of .bt in the traceroute output, perhaps Wink

The IP6 back story is interesting [thanks], in yet another PN dissapointment sort of way.  Lack of IPV6 is starting to cause me a real headache - What with being a network engineer an' everyfink!

Anyhow, over the years I have carried out quite a few migrations to PN and had my share of frustrations in the process.  Just wanted to say thanks for being the calming influence. PN lost a good un, more fool them.

Don't know what to make of your IP being blocked.  What is a huge amount of hits anyway?  Are they accusing you of a sustained DOS attack?  Surely a corporation the size of PN would not risk a PR disaster by deliberately engaging in a childish, personal squabble?