cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who will jump

amcclean
Rising Star

Who will jump

I see from the forum that the threads with the highest number of views and feed back are all concerning the rather quick killing of pn over the last few weeks.
Feed back and support against the changes doesn't marry up with the viewers this poll is for people to quickly give their view without having to post.
13 REPLIES 13
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Who will jump

Although originally targeted at those affected by the price rise, I think this poll answers your question?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If I can find a comparable price that excludes new customer joining deals with a decent ISP I am gone, but won't be before the 30 day get out of jail card has timed out at a guess.  Only options I see are Sky/Talktalk/BT, so still better the devil I know for now
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
avatastic
Grafter

Eyeing up Zen for when my contract ends, but being in a Freeview-lite area not yet ruling out Sky (although my Freesat has most things covered).
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I have a foot in each camp here. In  principle I don't like the changes PN have/are making. I see it as dumbing down and being reactive to problems caused by an expanding customer base, rather than proactive and putting the infrastructure in place to begin with thereby improving or maintaining the status quo.
The pay increases are a fact of life so I evaluate that on value for money which I believe I get. I haven't had any recent problems with the service and have found PN helpful, knowledgeable and pleasant so for the next year I shall stay put.
I have LRS that means if I leave this year I forfeit 6mths of that so for a saving of £18pm next year I won't renew that. Next year however if the service I have received has significantly declined or the price rise is significant I will leave.
I have already started to look at what other companies are offering, being with Freenetname>MAAF>PN since I first got the internet I don't really know who else is out there other than TT, Sky or BT.
I really hope the changes do improve the service over all especially for the new sign ups as that seems to be where the majority of problems lie . But I'm not holding my breath.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I've stayed with PN for another year because a ) my LRS deal includes w/end & evening calls and b) due to the reclassification of exchanges by PN,and subsequent billing c**kup, I've got an unbeatable deal for u/l broadband Grin
HOWEVER, I've just had my ear bashed by Sky again - offered me free u/l b/band and line rental @ £9.99 pm -so next June I will possibly be off, especially if the LRS saving continues to decline or even vanish.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I don't think most sensible people will "Jump ship at the first chance", they will "Consider their options" - shame you don't have it in your poll.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Well I considered my options and being in a Market 1 area, my options for low cost fibre broadband are severely limited. BT is the obvious alternative provider and I called COT after receiving my price increase email and they offered me what I think is a good deal for fibre. It is several pounds per month cheaper than BT (and quite a bit cheaper than what I was paying). I had 4 months to go on LRS so that was a factor too. I will be able to renew LRS before the price hike.
So cost wise it suits me. I do have great concerns about the changes happening at PN, and I am also concerned about the peak time congestion issues. Equally, I don't want to pay a lot more for fibre (e.g. Zen or AAISP). I know the service may be great, but from a cost perspective, it is too much for me.
For me, it boils down to whether I jump to BT, and pay a little more per month, or stay with PN. Regarding service, I believe BT may not have the peak time slowdowns, although I hear bad things about the customer service and overseas call centres. On the other hand, PN have generally been good, barring the current changes and congestion issues.
I don't know if I am making the right decision, time will tell, but based on the information I have, I am willing to stay with PN. I just hope that doesn't come back and bite me - I may live to regret it.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Well I'm glad you've chosen to stay. Hopefully the experience will become more positive in due course.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Anotherone
they will "Consider their options"
Certainly I will in due course, but I don't pay my line rental to PlusNet anyway so am only really affected by service issues at present.
FTTC isn't an option for me either as my cabinet is the one and only cabinet on my exchange that's not enabled. Maybe when it is I'll review things.
cajef
Grafter

Although my broadband is slightly more as my line rental is not with Plusnet I am quite prepared to accept that as I am on an FTTP connection which has never dropped and my speed has always been at maximum 75/20 for the last two years, also since the spam fiasco a few years ago I still have a free domain and have been with Plusnet for many years through other ups and downs so I will stay unless things really head downhill fast.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@MattyC - I have asked this question twice (once on phone and once on chat), and I think I have my answer, but using the 'belt n braces' approach, can you confirm the following please...
Having received the email that allows me to get out of my current contract, I called COT and was given a new fibre offer on an 18 month contract. I am currently on the 40/20 product. My question is this... Will I stay on the 40/20 product (rather than be put on the 40/2 product)? The answer I received both times was that I would stay on the 40/20 product? And I assume that because this is not a new provision of fibre, the 40/20 will still apply.
Can you confirm please whilst I am still in my cooling off period?
Many thanks.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not Matty C, but unless we're having to place an order (to move premises, reprovide a line etc) then the speeds won't change.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the quick response Chris. I thought that would be the case, but sometimes you can never ask the question too many times Smiley