Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well done plusnet,as well...... !

Tomplus73
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well done plusnet,as well...... !

Just thought I'd pop up and say Hi and thanks.  Only got going ,just a few hrs back(on the Value Tariff) . I seem to be getting about 3MBs,seems fine to me,after years on Dialup!  I understand,things could vary in the first 10 days. I plan to  normally  switch off  the router "overnight",would wellcome other folks views on this.
I note,it gets a lttle bit warm.Think Ive helped it a little ,to stay cooler,by doing a trick I used to use on my first Freeview Set Top Box,5-6 years ago.  That used to get REALLY warm and I aided its air circulation,by placing a couple of Pens underneath it,thus raising the base up a 1/4 inch allowing the air to flow better. Ive done the same tonight,with my Thomson Router as well.
PS,pity there isn't a spell checker on here.................or maybe I'm too thick to find it  Roll_eyes
23 REPLIES 23
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Well done plusnet,as well...... !

welcome to the forum.
You should leave the router on for the first ten day, that is so BT can assess your line.
It is said it helps to reboot your router once a day in the morning say between 7:00 am up to about 2 PM, the signal gets adrift outside these times.
After the ten days you may switch it of at the end of the day, but you should switch it back on between the above times, if you do it after 3PM you will probably get a lower synch speed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on the spelling side what browser are you using, FireFox has a good English UK one, also thought that M$ had one
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Tomplus73,
A warm welcome from the staff here at Plusnet too. As pierre_pierre says you should be fine turning the router off at night but I would avoid during this for the first 10 days at least, this is  just to make sure you can get the best out of your line in terms of speeds. We have heard from a few customer's that the Thomson routers do tend to get warm, but they are reliable and we don't get an alarming amount of returns due to faults with them. Its not unique for the Thomson to get warm when its been left on for a while as a lot of routers and other electronic devices do this (as you noticed with your freeview box) but if this does concern you you're right to do what you can to aid ventilation.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Ok,thanks both for your replies.Will do,regarding leaving Router on.overnight,especially during Ist 10 days.  No its not too warm,(it was nowhere as warm as that old Freeview box used to get)but Ive hopefully helped it now,by sitting it on two small blocks,raising off the shelf,by 1/4 inch or so,aiding the air to get in the grill underneath .So an update or improvement on the two Pens LOL !
Another Q,I know its early days,but I noticed,I'm getting nearly double speed by the ethernet cable,then by wireless.About 5.5Mbs wired,about 3Mbs Wireless.Is that normall ?  Thats not a moan,just an observation. The speed I'm getting seems fine for my uses,the signal strengh shown on wireless is 5 bars,out of 5 .
Regards,Tom.
paulpicks21
Grafter

What wireless card do you have?
Is it old or new or built in to the laptop/pc?
I have a usb wireless dongle thats pretty new and I get full speed (same as ethernet)
But I also have a really old network card which I use in my old laptop as it doesnt stick out so much and stays in , but that only manages half speed if I am lucky.
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Its a pretty old Laptop, Packard Bell Easynote e2315, (running XP)that I was given a year or so back.It was VERY slow then.I've managed to improve it abit,adding some more RAM and generally clearing some of the rubbish out.(still it WAS a gift)It uses an Intel Pro 2200BG wirelss thingy .I understand its 3-4 years old,guess thats about the age of the Laptop.
Guess in Computer terms,thats a whole generation away ? 
paulpicks21
Grafter

I have checked and that network card supports 802.11b and 802.11g so I would expect it to be a bit nearer to your ethernet speeds , but having said that it is a pretty old card.
Another possible reason for slower speeds could be that a neighbour is on the same wireless channel as you so there is interferance between the 2 connections.
torbayguy
Grafter

Try changing the network channel mate.
An example would be mine.  Channel 2 gives 1.2 meg, channel 7 gives 7.1meg.
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Quote from: torbayguy
Try changing the network channel mate.
An example would be mine.  Channel 2 gives 1.2 meg, channel 7 gives 7.1meg.

Ok,I may well try that, First thing not sure how..................presume,get into Router,by typing into its Http page etc ?..My next door  neighbours signal is pretty strong,so we may well be on same or adjcent frequencies.......................
torbayguy
Grafter

Yea, you get into your router, then there will be a menu for settings, or wireless, or similar, it will hace a channel number, probably set to automatic.
I think channels 3, 7, and 11 are the best to start with, simply change the channel and run a speed test!
Alsorts can affect it though, not just routers.
Cordless phones, speakers in a tv, central heating even, so just keep trying until you find a good channel.
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Quote from: torbayguy
Yea, you get into your router, then there will be a menu for settings, or wireless, or similar, it will hace a channel number, probably set to automatic.
I think channels 3, 7, and 11 are the best to start with, simply change the channel and run a speed test!
Alsorts can affect it though, not just routers.
Cordless phones, speakers in a tv, central heating even, so just keep trying until you find a good channel.
  Now thats intersting,its well away from cordless phone  BUT,its sitting in other room,right in front of (Left hand ) Speaker of Hi Fi System....................Suppose I coule plant it on top of Spker,its in Wooden case...................howver and not sure how relevant,signal strengh is 5 Bars...................Anyway,thanks for tip. 
paulpicks21
Grafter

I take it you have the plusnet supplied Thompson router?
If so then type in 192.168.1.254 on your internet address bar.
Put your username (admin by default) and password in.
then just navigate your way to your wireless connection , change the network selection bit from auto , then choose another channel.
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Yup,its the 585v7..............from Memory,the standard Plusnet job,will do tomorrow,er make that later today,as its already tomorrow.................
Tomplus73
Rising Star

Ok,"I'm in" ...................they say that in all the best (or worst computer films).
I can't see yet where to change frequencies.I wasn't really plannning to tonight anyway,was just going to have a look,to see what spot I'm on. But thanks for your help so far anyway.