cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web space removed without warning!

Ronski
Rising Star

Web space removed without warning!

I've been with Plusnet since 2003, and have made use of my free included webspace over the years, nothing special, not even a website, just a few pictures that are linked to from various forum posts from years ago, and on Saturday I uploaded the HG612 Modem Stats program, whilst it was transferred to FreewareFiles.com.
I did think all the hosting would take place on freeware files, but it seems they included their own hosting and a link to my original upload.
Now this morning I receive an email telling me I've gone over my data allowance and my website has been removed and archived and I'm to jump through hoops to get it back, by following a link to an FAQ, copying some text, replacing some text with my name and finally opening a support case! The text asks what action I'm going to take, well the simple answer would be to remove the file that everyone has been downloading, but I can't do that can I, my webspace has been removed! So I say I'm going to remove it, my webspace get's put back, but then I may go over my paltry limit before I get chance to remove the file!
I have asked Freeware Files to remove the link, but not sure how long this will take.
This I find disgusting behavior, what ever happened to a warning email? That would have been polite!
There was also no mention in the email as to what this data allowance was, looking through the FAQ there is no mention of an allowance for the product I'm on, and the allowances mentioned for the other products are ridiculous!
I pay for a truly unlimited product, yet my webspace is truly crippled!
How could anybody be expected to actually use this webspace for a website these days????
9 REPLIES 9
x47c
Grafter

Re: Web space removed without warning!

Only old subscribers with Plusnet  from some years back get webspace.
It was withdrawn to new subscribers some time (years) ago.
Many ISP's are doing the same - BT withdrew theirs totally even to existing webspace owning subscribers last year.
Draw your own conclusions
ISP want to concentrate on provide a BB supply -and will in future leave providing webspace and associated facilities to those companies in that field dedicated to web hosting and domain registration services.
Ronski
Rising Star

I guess I'm going to have to get around to working out how to setup my own website on my server at home for such basic needs, then the bandwidth will come out of my unlimited usage 😉
I did stop using my web space for any new pictures some years ago, as I realised I was storing up future problems, I now use photobucket. But alas there is still a lot of forum posts out there with pictures linked back to my webspace.  And who knows how long before photobucket breaks linked pictures.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Ronski,
Really sorry to hear that, I'd be happy to chase it up with our networks team for you but it doesn't seem to be on the account linked with your forum username?
If you could post the relevant ticket ID I'll get onto it for you.
Ronski
Rising Star

Hi Matt, I haven't raised a ticket yet, I'm at work on my tablet, so will raise one tonight and update the thread, thanks.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Ronski
This I find disgusting behavior, what ever happened to a warning email? That would have been polite!

A warning is sent if you breach a certain threshold. As it happens you exceeded your 250Mb daily bandwidth quota by over 180Mb on this occasion so we didn't have the opportunity to send the warning email.
There was also no mention in the email as to what this data allowance was, looking through the FAQ there is no mention of an allowance for the product I'm on, and the allowances mentioned for the other products are ridiculous!

You have 250Mb of webspace with a 250Mb daily bandwidth allowance.
I pay for a truly unlimited product, yet my webspace is truly crippled!

As others have pointed out, webspace is a legacy feature. New Unlimited customers do not get any.
I guess I'm going to have to get around to working out how to setup my own website on my server at home for such basic needs, then the bandwidth will come out of my unlimited usage 😉

Or you could purchase space from a dedicated hosting provider? Tongue Wink
Anyway, I've unarchived your webspace which should allow you to rectify the problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

As this issue is likely to affect me in the future, how can I find out -
1) What is the 'daily transfer allowance' is on the BBYW product ?.
2) How can I check my webspace daily transfer usage, as I can't see that information in my "Advanced Webstats" ?.
3) Does the website get shutdown after a single days overuse, or is it when exceeding an average over a short period ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi purleigh,
It's down to the webspace component you had in the first place rather than the account type you're on (the component won't change if you move between accounts) - as such nothing will have changed since you first were issued it. Yours has 250MB of storage and a 250MB daily allowance.
The transferred amount of data should be shown in advanced webstats, though not as a single figure I'm afraid. Realise that's not ideal.
As for the archiving, if it's over by less than 20% of the limit (so 50MB either bandwidth or storage wise) then a warning email is sent, if it's over by more than that then it's archived I believe. I think the script runs daily to check and uses the same criteria each day.
Hope that helps explain.
Ronski
Rising Star

Thanks for the speedy response,  I'll get the file removed from my webspace as soon as possible, but it might not be until this evening.
Edit: I've logged in from work and removed the file, so we shouldn't have any more problems. At least it's very easy to FTP from XP, unlike W7 without setting things up or using additional programs.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Matt, that information will be very helpful.
I am in the process of starting my first proper (not just for friends & family) website - advertising local community facilities and "What's On" features.
Therefore I will very carefully have to consider my target audience, and not to host anything too large - like a digital version of the village magazine, or hi-res jpegs of the annual fete or horticultural show, etc.