cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We'll do you proud.....wait, maybe not.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: We'll do you proud.....wait, maybe not.

I didn't read it that way.  Cool Just trying to help clarify and ensure you didn't waste effort by taking as firm evidence information that has minimal value.
The phone calls to BT (Retail?) are probably the most important, and what PN are saying, because they (as I'm sure you know) are totally constrained by BT (Openreach?) systems and processes.
So remember that you and PN are actually getting information from very separate businesses.  Cry
KK
Grafter

Chiso - the madness that surrounds the provision of phonelines and broadband is similar to the madness which surrounds the supply of energy.  The companies involved are supposed be in competition with each other, but in practice they follow procedures which have changed little since they were a nationalised monopoly.
Issues like yours come up time and time again on consumer programmes etc, and it is not uncommon for a politician to come on and say that there is a need for change.  But nothing ever happens.
I recently had an issue with changing my energy suppliers, and eventually I contacted my MP.  I was pleasantly surprised with the result.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I disagree KK; Utility switches are generally child's play compared with the unholy mess of telephone and broadband .
MACs ,LLU or no LLU,  having to switch via a third party to keep a phone number -it goes on -and in the middle of this spider's web sits Openreach -apparently unaccountable to anyone !! Angry
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Chiso, if you dial out from the line to a mobile (if possible), what number shows on the mobile? If it's the same one that was on there previously then you're correct, I was getting the info from our provisioning team who were checking the details on your account in our ordering system.
chiso
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
I cannot test that as there is no phone in the property yet and i am going to buy one only after i am able to get the contract sorted (if we can find a solution to this).
I am not going to use the line until my name is on that phone number.
As i have just relocated from abroad i have to buy everything. Including the phone.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Only reason I mention it is that's the best way of finding out for sure which number is on the line, as that seems to be in dispute at the moment. I can advise what our ordering systems are telling us, but you're saying the situation's different - not sure how we can sort things out while that's the case, and we have no access to the physical line to test.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: chiso
buy everything. Including the phone.
£4.28 at Argos  Wink http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5526527.htm
Always worth having a cheap, basic corded phone for testing & emergencies.  Cool
I cannot test that as there is no phone in the property yet
So what were the earlier comments about the line being still active based on?  Undecided
Can't you borrow a phone from someone (e.g. landlord) and plug it in to test more definitively as suggested - 17070 or dial a mobile?
chiso
Dabbler

No, i cannot borrow a phone and no, i cannot use the line until my name has finally been transferred onto that number.
And no, i am notgoing to waste money on a phone until i am certain i can use the existing number.
the comments about the line being active are based on the info i got from Bt who said i can take over the line.
I'm also sure the letting agent/landlord do not want to breach their contract with me either by disconnecting a line.
The line is there, there is simply no account on it and i cannot create an account with my name unlesd PN is able to solve this.
HPsauce
Pro

Well, good luck with getting it resolved.
You should ask the landlord or agent to test the line and verify/confirm the number, that's a totally reasonable request if they are paying rental on it.
But if no-one is actually paying rental on it there's no obligation on BT to reserve the number, so it's not entirely clear what you think the actual problem is.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm also totally confused.
Either someone is paying line rental for the phone (probably the landlord) and there is a telephone number allocated to it or no rental is being paid in which case the telephone number will have been released.
If you are going to take over the telephone line (irrespective of whether rental is currently being paid) BT Wholesale (who are the suppliers to both Plusnet and BT Retail who you would deal with as a customer) would normally allocate a new number.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
KK
Grafter

Chiso - it is quite possible that the landlady doesn't give a toss about whether or not you change the phone number - it's probably just a standard clause in a standard tenancy contract.
I agree with HPSauce that the landlady/agent ought to be willing and able to help you sort this out.
If BT are telling you that the line is in place, then maybe they'll have less difficulty than Plusnet in finding a way to put your name on it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As I posted earlier, from our side the order is complete and the line is with us, albeit with a different number - hence the confusion when Chiso posted to say it hadn't lost its number yet, which would suggest something's gone wrong somewhere. It definitely doesn't look like it from our side though which is why I asked for the previous test (call a mobile from the line) - that would show which number the line has been assigned and would also confirm it's active.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

B) There is already a phone line for the property, which according to the letting contract cannot be changed, moved nor deactivated (quite the norm)

That is not the norm. We were in a rental property for a year (ending last Feb). Although there was a physical line it was not active. We had to go to BT to get it activated and were allocated our own number. We were told that we couldn't fiddle with the telephone wiring in any way. I believe that is the norm.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: jelv
I'm also totally confused.
No longer, I suspect. Nor am I.  Cool
Though someone may still be.......  Wink
chiso
Dabbler

@Matt
So, if i manage to convince the landlord to have a new number so that will not result in a breach of contract, are PN able to solve this mess and provide the broadband i requested without any MAC?