Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting for webmail@plus.net

colintivy
Rising Star

Waiting for webmail@plus.net

Hi folks!
Looking at the log-on page for Webmail I have always wondered if this is the right place to make the following observation.
It seems to me when I indulge in some emailing, that the "Waiting for webmail@plus.net" text at the bottom of the display is often there for such a long time before anything happens that I wonder if my connection has failed. Watching paint dry could be more exciting!"
Is this a case of traffic being so heavy that the queue gets very long? Is so could capacity be increased to speed things up?Huh
I would love to be told how it all works.
Colin  Huh
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Waiting for webmail@plus.net

colintivy,
It's could either be traffic or slow speeds at your side causing things to hang at that stage. Sorry I can't be more specific than that really.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks Adam
Sorry for misquoting the real address of the message, too used to normal ones, putting the @ instead of "."
My speeds are not  very good because of the mile or so of damp string joining us to the nearest exchange, but generally 2-3 Megs of 8. Not a lot of hope for any improvement to that in prospect.  I did wonder with all the extra hardware you have been putting in to increase capacity that something could be done about webmail that is all.
colin  Cheesy
gswindale
Grafter

If anything it's likely to either be a traffic issue or a problem at the server's end.
I've just tried and had a little wait - nothing huge, but worse than connecting to various other sites that require login details.  In fact it felt slower than logging into the portal, but once logged in once and then out and in again all seems a bit quicker?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That makes sense. Part of the delay when you log in is retrieving all the mail headers for the in box, so the number of emails in there will affect the time it takes.
If you log out and straight back in again the chances are that a lot of the data needed is cached in memory.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Laser
Grafter

I find the webmail server to be horrendously slow at times. And it isn't anything to do with the connection my end either. Often I go and browse around another website for 20-30 secs or so before the page loads.
Even when it is feeling relatively quick, it is still sluggish compared to normal sites. However, that seems the norm for webmail from any ISP I've experienced.