cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very dissatisfied (ticket #91284245)

mapletree
Grafter

Very dissatisfied (ticket #91284245)

Been having speed issues for a while now.  BTOR engineer was called out and found a fault.  Since then speeds have still been poor.  On the ticket people keep moving the goalposts and referring to secret estimates and now I am told nothing can be done unless the speeds drop even lower (25Mbps on FTTC).  In fact my speeds are now lower than when I was on the 40Mbps product even though I pay for "up to" 80Mbps.
12 REPLIES 12
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Very dissatisfied (ticket #91284245)

Hi mapletree,
I'm really sorry to see this. I do acknowledge that your speeds have decreased compared to the past.
The problem is that your predicted speeds by our suppliers records have really reduced. Referring to the checker, you are now expected to receive around 34mb down. This is similar to what you are getting:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com
I'm not sure if there's anything we can do to bump it back up. I can't help but feel that it could be down to an increase of end users with FTTC in your area.
It may be worth contacting our Customer Options team on 0800 013 2632 or 0330 123 9197 to see if we can arrange to put you back on the 40mbps package at a cheaper rate.
My apologies again.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
mapletree
Grafter

You also refer to a predicted speed of 34Mbps (what I called the "secret" estimate).  According the the BT checker (https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput) it still says between 34.8 and 47.8Mbps.  I can understand a gradual reduction in speeds but I am confused why it would suddenly drop from the upper end of this range to below the minimum (32Mbps) without there still being a fault. The BTOR engineer did find a fault and fix it but he did say he couldn't carry out all the tests because his kit wasn't working fully.  The upstream speed has also declined in a similar manner.  Is it possible to find out the number of users on the cabinet now?  I wouldn't mind so much but it feels slow; web pages take longer to load etc.
Cruise85
Grafter

Hi Mapletree
Again, I do apologise for the inconvenience caused in regards to this matter, however as both Matty and our faults team advised, there is little that we can do in regards to your current fibre speeds.
We are only able to provide you with the speeds that the BT Network state state the line is capable of and as such, your current speeds don't indicate a fault in any way
As Matty advised, we would be more than happy to lower the package to the 40mb package for you
Regards
Matt
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@mapletree -are you actually getting ~34Mb ? I ask because I get less than 50% of that on ADSL2+ ,but web pages load (almost) instantaneously?
mapletree
Grafter

Quote from: Cruise85
As Matty advised, we would be more than happy to lower the package to the 40mb package for you

Would this involve starting yet another 18 month contract?
Cruise85
Grafter

Hi Mapletree
This wouldn't require a new contract , and the existing contractual term would remain
Regards
Matt
mapletree
Grafter

Finally it's done.  I wasn't too impressed by the way my call was handled though and I was passed on to different people a few times.  It took 45 minutes of call time to arrange this and two people I spoke to said I would have to go on a contract.  The last person sorted it out but said I would be put on contract and then taken off at the next billing date!  Crazy
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting me know.
I'll give the call a listen and see where we could have done better.
I'm glad we got there in the end, even if this isn't the ideal solution for you.
Matty
mapletree
Grafter

Thanks for the help.  One thing that would be great if PN could be clearer about estimates, speeds and what is considered a fault.  I understand this for ADSL (maybe 😉 but not for FTTC.  Do you rely on the BT estimates (that I can view) or some other estimates?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: mapletree
Do you rely on the BT estimates (that I can view)?

Yes. We generally have to go by what the DSL checker states as previously linked. It's just frustrating from both our side as well as yours that the estimates have decreased.
We've had to put you on a cheaper package whilst you now have lower speeds Sad
Matty
mapletree
Grafter

I am still a bit confused.  I don't see any reduction in the BT estimates.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mapletree,
I'm sorry about any confusion caused here, I believe what Matty is getting at is that we do (on occasion) see speed estimates reduce after a FTTC service is provisioned which can cause upset as it generates a feeling of the goalposts being shifted.
From reviewing what I can of this thread and also the detail we hold on the account for you, it doesn't appear that this has been the case in your instance so this shouldn't relate to your situation. Please accept our apologies for any confusion caused regarding this comment.