cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value your loyal customers

warpspider
Grafter

Value your loyal customers

I know this company (BT) really doesn't care anymore but I'm still going to throw this out there.
I have been with Plusnet for over 3 years now, half of that has been out of contract.  I have not been forced to stay with Plusnet, I decided to.
I recently got a deal from my old ISP offering me 12 months free broadband on an 18 month contract, I decided to contact Plusnet and see if they could give me a slightly better deal since I am overpaying them currently (£19.99 on a 30 meg fibre connection is my currently bill).  Their offer to me as a loyal, long standing customer was 14.50 (normal customers signing up pay 15) but only if I lock myself back into a 2 year contact with them again.
Is this really the state of this company?  A long standing, loyal customer is worthless unless you lock me into a contract again?  Pro-tip, a happy customer does not need to be locked in because the have no reason to leave.  What possible reason is there for not lowering my bill by £5?  If I wanted to be locked into another 18-24 month contract why on earth would I do it for such a terrible offer when other companies are throwing far better deals at me?
You basically turned me from someone who felt happy with your company, into someone that feels they are being taken advantage of and being overcharged.
All I wanted was a reduction on my bill, all I got was an awful offer that shows how little long-term customers are seen by this company.
15 REPLIES 15
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Value your loyal customers

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with having to agree a new contract to receive a discount, this is something we (and the most other companies) do in order to be able to provide the lowest prices. Generally we can offer a lower price on a longer contract, so if you're unhappy with a 24 month one, try asking our customer options team for an 18 month one.
Any special offer discounts we provide are generally tied to a contract, be that new or existing customers.
There's not a lot I can add that hasn't already been mentioned in your other thread about this query: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,148397.0.html
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Sorry, but that seems a perfectly reasonable offer to me - I would take it  Smiley The small print of a lot of so called 'free' offers mean they are often not as good as they look!
PJW
Dabbler

I'd like to add my recent experience for people to share. I've been a Plusnet customer since 2012, renewing my contract as it falls due. At each renewal I have been given deals that match options for new customers (with the exception of any cash back deals) and have been happy to re-sign for either 12 or 18 months at a time. My son has been in the same position. In January, his contract was up and he renewed at the same deal, as offered at the time, for new business. Mine was up this month (Feb) and I was able to get a 'match' deal for a competitor, which was slightly better than Plusnet new business deal for this area. All good so far. This week, a very good friend's contract had expired and I rang customer options to see what they would offer him (he's over 90 and asked me to help with this). A reduction of his broadband charge from £16.99 to £13.00 per month was the offer, with the quote 'it's the best deal I can give you, it makes no difference to me'. After ending the call, I checked the deal available to his neighbour via the plusnet website, guess what? A 12 month contract with broadband free for the whole period. I contacted customer options again and asked why he couldn't have this deal? I was told you only get the new business deal once, you cannot get it again! I pointed out that I had been offered these deals repeatedly as had my son, just 2 weeks before. Was this some sort of discrimination against my friend? At this point the COT representative requested details of my account and my son's so he could check. After finding that I was telling the truth, he agreed to offer the deal to my friend! Hence a new contract for 12 months was agreed and a saving of £203.88 over the standard price was achieved!
So thanks Plusnet for rewarding your loyal customers with deals which match or better your offers to new business but please could you do it without the deceit and pretence, make it a little easier for loyal customers to stay with you without getting ripped off, and please, ask your COT members to drop the phrase 'it makes no difference to me', I've heard it from 3 different people and in any case, it damn well should, and I suspect, does!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The trouble is, if all of Plusnet's customers were permanently on the new-customer type discounts, it would probably be unsustainable. Most of the profit is made on the line rental these days, but that's only going to stretch so far.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: custos
Sorry, but that seems a perfectly reasonable offer to me - I would take it

I'd agree.  The unreasonable offers are the free broadband to new customers, and while those go on of course they need to charge existing customers; they can't provide the service free to everyone.  It would be interesting to know the average price paid across their broadband customer base.
billnotben
Community Veteran

Personally I cannot understand why you never get an email informing you that your contract is ending soon.
With the same email also contain offers and prices to renew your contract.
Of course many will see this failure to inform as an underhand practice of sorts.
I just see it as a missed opportunity by Plusnet.
pfgpowell
Dabbler

I have been with Plusnet since we first got broadband, at least 12/13 years. I joined because they were a Which? recommendation. About  5/6 years ago they were bought out by BT and the rot set in, as it seems to whenever BT is involved. The people you talk to on the frontline seem just as good, but there has been a continual cheeseparing of services here and there. I am on a broadband and phone contract and I don't really want the hassle of changing, but I am getting very few up. And I agree that a quick email telling you your contract is up for renewal and your options should be standard.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

it seems these days people confuse "loyalty" with "give me a discount" - that says everything about the world today.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

There are far too many Veruca Salts in this world Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav
Fixes: 515

Quote from: billnotben
Personally I cannot understand why you never get an email informing you that your contract is ending soon.

I would have thought most, if not all, PN customers have some sort of calendar on their PC or mobile device so it should be easy to set a reminder for a month or so before the contract is up.
Quote from: billnotben
With the same email also contain offers and prices to renew your contract.

I actually like ringing up to negotiate a discount - I get a sense that I have achieved more Crazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

peter10
Grafter

Like Mav I  don't mind ringing for a discount but have found that on the last few occasions I've had to call at least a couple of times to get a reasonable offer. The first offers have usually been poor. I've retired so I have the time but when I was working I wouldn't have been able to and would probably have changed ISP. Also if people have to ring a couple of times it must lengthen waiting times.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I wonder, though, if we could do the same in Tesco's and others. Pick up a loaf of bread, take it to the counter then negotiate a lower price as we have always bought our bread there; after all the price is only an 'invitation to treat' Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

peter10
Grafter

Tesco don't sell the same loaf at one price to new customers and a dearer price to regular shoppers. However many people will haggle if buying more expensive goods from non supermarket shops. I do and win some and lose some.
billnotben
Community Veteran

Of course Tesco do the line rental discount.
Except in their case it's petrol.
Quote from: Mav
I actually like ringing up to negotiate a discount - I get a sense that I have achieved more

Is it a discount? I've always thought it was contract prices. Which are not shown on their web site.
Unless you know what they are any idea that you've got yourself a special price, haggled a good deal, is just an illusion.
Which is why I suggested that Plusnet just simply tell us.