Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAT invoice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VAT INVOICE

@andylloyd1 wrote:
VAT amount on a receipt and as stated before It is a legal requirement when asked for.

This only applies when you yourself are a VAT registered entity and if you are then you should be using a Business grade service.

If anyone using a residential service who requires (needs) a VAT receipt then please by all means demand one from Plusnet and when they don't give you one complain to HMRC. Once you have done this make sure your accounts are in order as it won't be Plusnet's door HMRC will be knocking on!

chris20
Hooked

@andylloyd1 wrote:

'This only applies when you yourself are a VAT registered entity and if you are then you should be using a Business grade service.'

Please tell me why I should be using a Business grade service?

Are you affiliated with the Braundo company?

'If anyone using a residential service who requires (needs) a VAT receipt then please by all means demand one from Plusnet and when they don't give you one complain to HMRC. Once you have done this make sure your accounts are in order as it won't be Plusnet's door HMRC will be knocking on!'

Why are you insinuating that my accounts are not in order?? There must be millions of  people who work at home intermittently and need a VAT receipt. All this is just about PN trying to extract more money for the same service.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Fact: where the value is under £25 a vat invoice is not essential.

As reported above this is common practise.

An obligation only arises if both parties are VAT registered. If your employer needs you to have Internet service at home, they should be contracting for it direct, then there would be a VAT registered entity to VAT registered entity relationship.

The T&Cs are clear - not for business use.

I can understand that people do not like it, but that’s what we all signed up to.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume you really meant to @ me @chris20 considering it's my post you're quoting.

If you don't know the answer to that by now then nothing I can say will help you.

I wasn't implying anything about your accounts or indeed anyone else's.

If you NEED a VAT receipt that implies you are in business, so get the correct product to allow you to do this and stop bleating.

andylloyd1
Hooked

To Towman

You are assuming that everybody that needs a VAT Receipt is making calls and using there Internet for business either there own or for there employers.

Some people are required to have a phone line and internet, so they can be contacted by there employer (receiving calls and e mails). Like people that are on call, eg plumbers, electricians, medical people etc etc, or Reps and PAs. as the phone line and internet is part of their employment some employers kindly pay all or part of the charges. So to claim on expenses the employee needs to provide a valid VAT rec. 

You are also assuming that the phone line and internet bills are below £25.This again may not be the case.

Never assume as you can be so wrong  sometimes.

If as you say that anybody making calls for or to there employer should be regarded as business use. then why aren't we all on a business tariff, have you never phoned or emailed your employer to let them know something like your ill and not coming in

or for many other reasons ?Huh

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I did, but there was no consideration of expenses as there was no incremental cost involved. Where business calls were essential a mobile phone was provided ... for which every call had to be justified or paid for by salary deduction so as to avoid benefit in kind taxation. Which brings up the challenging question - if employers are paying for phone and broadband how come HMRC are not taxing this as a perk / benefit in kind?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andylloyd1
Hooked

Not everybody live in an area where Mobile signals are reliable. (don't believe what the mobile companies state with regard signal) so landline and internet can be essential. 

Im sure the employer is operating within the taxation laws with regard to benefit in kind.

Some employers may give you an allowance on your wages, others prefer you to put in as an expense claim. Depending on how you are employed, each to there own.

As to pay tax on what you can claim can be more beneficial to the employee, than not to be able to claim at all.

Which is the position Plusnet and any other supplier you care to mention are putting some of its customers, by not issuing VAT receipts when requested. which as stated as a tax payer you are entitled to. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You have been misinformed. Only a VAT registered party is entitled to a VAT Invoice.

rjlunn

Sorry you are the one misinformed.

There are 2 sets of rules. One set by the EU - these rules which must be complied with by all all EU counties.

Thse do not require the issue of a VAT invoice unless the customer is VAT registered.

In addition each ountry can suplement the rules with its own additions to them.

The UK has done so .

The following is coppied from the HMRC web site:-

To whom a VAT invoice must be issued
If you are a seller registered for VAT you must give a buyer who is registered for VAT a VAT invoice for any standard-rated or reduced-rated items sold. If you are a retailer, you do not need to issue a VAT invoice or receipt unless asked to do so by the buyer. A VAT registered supplier may be fined if they do not issue a VAT invoice when asked to do so by a VAT registered buyer.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Plusnet are not a retailer they dont sell goods they provide a service hence it doesn't apply.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Interesting that nobody is providing a current verifiable link to back up their claims...
rjlunn

Plusnet are a retaler.They retail their services. Retail is not only goods.

Anyway the real problem here is that Plusnet refuse to give VAT invoices to VAT registered people. You and everyone else appear to accept that this is in contravention VAT regulations.

It may be that these people are in some cases in contravention of the terms and conditions of their contract with Plusnet. This a a totally different matter to the requirement of VAT invoices for VAT registered people. and is someting that Pluset needs to addresss on a case by case basis.

abre

All Plusnet need to do to solve the problem is add their VAT number to their domestic bills.  That would suffice for most companies who choose to offer their employees a contribution to their phone or broadband service, for whatever reason.

Plusnet could add a VAT number to their bills, like the majority of retailers do, look at your coffee receipt.  This would cost tham nothing, but it would help a number of their customers!

Interestingly their current "Can't help but help" advertising campaign is clearly misleading in this case and I'd suggest contacting the ASA to complain about their advertising on the grounds of them not reasonably responding to a request for help.

It's far more damaging for a company to have an advert pulled, especially when you state you're "committed to great customer service" but only playing lip service to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@abre wrote:

All Plusnet need to do to solve the problem is add their VAT number to their domestic bills.

All the Customer needs to do is get the correct business product that entitles them to a VAT receipt so they or their employer can legitimately reclaim the VAT.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

It amazes me just how tolerant Plusnet are of people using the residential service for business purposes. Many times I have seen posts demanding immediate priority action because the poster needed it for their business in one form or another.

The easiest solution would be for Plusnet to assume that anyone who needs a VAT invoice is a business customer and automatically charge the business rate and of course, give the priority business response if problems arise.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'