cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utterly catastrophic house move attempt...

dfunked
Grafter

Utterly catastrophic house move attempt...

First of all, I should make it clear that Plusnet have been mostly fantastic throughout this process, and the blame can largely be laid on Openreach (even typing their name makes me grit my teeth!!)
I arranged a house move a good few weeks before the actual move date, Plusnet arranged for an Openreach engineer to attend on Sunday the 9th Oct to reconnect the phone line in the new property. After a wasted Sunday sitting around waiting for an engineer who never showed up, I spoke with Plusnet again who advised that the engineer had been unable to attend and had rescheduled for the next day (without telling anybody!)
Plusnet advised that they would rebook this within Openreach and ensure that the engineer would attend on Wednesday 12th instead, so I went ahead and booked that day off work. Surprise surprise, another no-show on Wednesday!
I've now been given a date of the 27th Oct for an engineer visit, which is obviously unacceptable given everything I've been through so far (all due to error/gross incompetence at Openreach's end), so I'm currently waiting for feedback on this after being advised that it will be escalated to Openreach.
The part that really annoys me right now is that Plusnet's idea of escalating something to Openreach is to send an email, without even bothering to chase it if no response is received after two days. When I asked if they could just pick up the phone and speak with someone at Openreach instead, I was told that they don't have a contact number (which I really struggle to believe!)
Sorry about the mini essay, but I just feel that this is something that could have been handled better by improving your communications with Openreach...
Plusnet have been an absolutely rock solid ISP for the past year, and I happily stuck with them when I decided to move, so I find it sad that an experience such as this has really made me reconsider that decision...

6 REPLIES 6
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Utterly catastrophic house move attempt...

Hi dfunked,
I'll have a look for you and see if there are any updates. We don't have any direct contact with Openreach, although we can call Wholesale, who will then liaise with them.
Jojo Smiley
dfunked
Grafter

Thanks Joanne,
I received a phone call from a BT engineer today who was apparently outside my property waiting to be let in, despite me not being made aware of this and obviously being in work at the time!
Plusnet also knew nothing about this appointment when I then called... Your forum really needs a facepalm emoticon for moments like this!
I've spoken with James today, who is trying to sort this out and will hopefully get back to me with a renewed appointment date this afternoon...
As I said, Plusnet have been great to deal with so far, but it just seems strange that your parent company are acting independently of yourselves without providing updates on the simplest things...
avatastic
Grafter

Sorry to hear this all familiar story dfunked.
You may use this as you see fit.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dfunked,
I see James has taken ownership of this now. He will see it through to it's resolution for you.
Jojo Smiley
dfunked
Grafter

Yep, and he came back with a revised appointment date of this Friday... I would have preferred sooner, but it's an acceptable compromise.
Top marks to James for keeping on top of things and calling back as promised.
Saving my compliments until Openreach () actually turn up on Friday!
Had to laugh at the email that said I'd have to pay £49 for another appointment if the engineer can't get access to the property on Friday! (if only I could charge them for missed visits, eh!!!)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: dfunked
Had to laugh at the email that said I'd have to pay £49 for another appointment if the engineer can't get access to the property on Friday! (if only I could charge them for missed visits, eh!!!)

Yes, James is a top guy. The £49.99 is standard ticket text for that but I know what you mean.
Jojo Smiley