Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utter Frustration

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Utter Frustration

Your speed profile is back at 2500, which is pretty good for the length of line you've got. The SNR reset seems to have done the trick.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kato
Dabbler

Many thanks for seeing this through Chris - will test out tonight.  Cool
Chris
Legend

No problem, I've also passed the fault ticket back to you. If you have any issues just drop a reply on this thread, or the ticket and we'll pick it up.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

From memory it's a very long (63db) 20CN line, syncing at 3040 which is actually pretty good for that line length!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Chris,
In that case, on the basis of the figures you've quoted, 20CN should deliver 1952kbs and 21CN / ADSL 2016kbs.  This line is clearly close to that threshold where ADSL2 delivers no advantage over ADSL1, indeed it might be worse!
Lets hope that the cause of the line drops has been eliminated and that this line now performs in a stable manner.  Such reduction in speeds (and corresponding increase in target SNRM) are typically indicative of an unstable line, either due to a line fault of electrical interference.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jim:post
I have removed a number of argumentative posts about wired versus wireless as it didn't contribute to solving the problem
Please remember the form rules about off topic and argumentative posting
kato
Dabbler

Unfortunately experiencing drops again. Last night and just now. Have made no changes since the SNR reset.t Sad
kato
Dabbler

No response on here and no respons on ticket #77910629. Utterly frustrated again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: kato
I have not used an ethernet cable at all. Who does these days?

Anyone for whom maximum possible speed and maximum reliability is important!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kato
Dabbler

Now have to wait another "up to 72 hours" for line drops to be "investigated" again.
Chris
Legend

Just to clarify, the SNR reset was not done to stablise the line, it was performed to improve the speeds you were seeing as the line was already looking much more stable.
As you're now seeing multiple drops again the fault needs investigating properly which is why I've passed it over to our faults team.
kato
Dabbler

Chris thanks for your help so far - and I do understand that you have done what you can.
I am just very fed up and incredulous that what is clearly an ongoing issue since 30th November has not been escalated but is now subject to a further "up to 72 hour" investigation. So far we have experienced poor and increasingly intermittent connection for over 10 days and now we face another 3 before we get any action. One of the main issues is not being able to talk to anyone who can make things happen. I really hope that I get some response sooner than 72 hours but am not holding my breath - and I can't face another ridiculously long wait on the phone. If we weren't close to Christmas I would be trying to get an alternative supplier organised.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

You might be able to arrange someone else to whom you can pay your bill, but you can never change the supplier of the part of the service which is broken - your telephone line - which is supplied by BTOR.  The 72 hour wait comes from BTOR, as that is their response time to a line fault.
I known this is not what you want to hear, but the whole industry is hamstrung by BTOR's performance!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kato
Dabbler

Thanks Townman - that's very helpful. I guess it would be good if Plusnet explained this (might keep my blood pressure under control!). I guess there are 2 issues - BTOR response times but also an ability to contact your provider (in this case Plusnet) without waiting on the phone for 30 to 45 minutes to start the investigation process!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, I can see an appointment has been booked in for tomorrow morning, hope this gets things sorted for you - please let us know how the engineer visit goes, and sorry it's currently taking so long to get through to us on the phone.