cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Speed Costs £8?

willhome
Grafter

Upload Speed Costs £8?

I was one of the many that took advantage of plus.nets upload speed increase offered for free for 3months to 832kbps.
After it finished i cancelled it, although i loved the extra upload speed justifying nearly adding 50% onto my broadband package for 400kbps was not possible.
Recently i've started needing upload more often and I now what to know what reason does plus.net have for charging such high price on 400kbps more upload.
Only real acceptible reason i can think of is with 800+kbps upload its considered a business account and some how bt charge more for that maybe?
But then i thought well plusnet pay for there pipes, surely they can use them how they want. If they want a user to have 1/2mb, 1mb 10mb 100mb upload/download its up to them.
I can understand a charge of maybe £3-4 for the extra upload but i find it hard to believe it costs the company £8 more a month per account to run it.
maybe they simply over charging on this as they don't charge for other stuff other companies do such as static ip addresses. I just think its a real shame... where was plus.net haven't gone down the LLU route of things so we still on 8mb where cable and heap of LLU companies provide 24mb speeds, Ive stuck with plus.net as I love the customer service/ reliabilty and rarely had a problem in all the years i have been here. it would have been nice to be given this speed upgrade at a acceptable speed.
18 REPLIES 18
James
Grafter

Re: Upload Speed Costs £8?

I can't remember the exact amount, but I think we pay an extra £5.88+VAT to BT Wholesale per month to supply this service to you.
Bear in mind that this also gives your traffic an increased priority across the BT network (ie: not ours).
scootie
Grafter

Bear in mind that this also gives your traffic an increased priority across the BT network (ie: not ours).

boy i am  missing that vip treatment i got before adsl2. in my opinion it was worth every penny for the fixed extra upsync and prioity over the BTw network
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Yeah I don't think I'd be without it, well worth the extra cost.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Be3G
Grafter

...which raises the question: will there in time be any similar kind of 'VIP' product for ADSL2+ users?
dvorak

I hope so, otherwise they might have a hard time convincing me to move.
Don't think my line would gain that much in downstream speeds to make it worthwhile.
Customer / Moderator
scootie
Grafter

well looking at the 21cn products on offer by BTw they dont have any thing simlar to max prem on offer.
thats why iam thinking hard about starting to try and get back on the normal adsl equimpment at my exchange. hopefuly in the future BTw dont force people to move on to the 21cn network equimpment but just connect the old network to the 21cn centrals
adewioo start feeding your bear on honney and not on my brute Grin
James
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
...which raises the question: will there in time be any similar kind of 'VIP' product for ADSL2+ users?

Yep.  There certainly is on the order system.
scootie
Grafter

whats it called all the product info sheets i have seen for 21cn BTw have said no simlar product to max prem is on offer on 21cn
James
Grafter

Bah.  I was hoping that noone was going to ask that Smiley
I'll have a look at the order system.
James
Grafter

Right, there's two forms of traffic weighting.  Standard and Elevated.  Elevated will be the Max Premium equivalent.
dvorak

any costings available?
Customer / Moderator
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Should people paying the £8 for max premium of been put on to elevated (or asked if they wanted to stop paying the £8)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

We currently don't have any costings associated with the elevated traffic weighting system yet.
We are currently only offering a standard ADSL2+ service as part of our trial.
scootie
Grafter

i have seen alot about QOS options and asurred rate sessions(ie if you start streaming tv ect you can get a asurred amount of bandwidth)  about 21cn