cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhelpful BT engineer

catlover

Unhelpful BT engineer

Looking at this forum and others it would seem that I am not alone in receiving appalling service from the BT engineer who installed my fibre broadband. Pity BT don't seem to care about customer service and get away with it. I moved house on 15 September and had a pm appointment for the engineer to call on 18 September. He arrived mid-morning. Lucky I was in! He wasn't the least bit interested in the fact that the appointment was for later and I got the distinct impression that if he couldn't come in right then I wouldn't be seeing him later. I showed him where the main phone socket was but he wouldn't believe that that was it! He said it was in an unusual position - well, yes, I knew that but as it's the only socket in the house that's all we have to work with! He grudging accepted the fact but when I showed him where the computer was (on the other side of the room, where the power sockets are) he said he didn't have an extension cable and he just fixed the modem by the socket. He couldn't test the connection because PlusNet had neglected to send a router - yes, I was having a bad day!! His attitude was one of 'couldn't care less', he was most unpleasant and I was glad to see the back of him. But now I have to go to the expense of getting a data extension cable and moving things myself.  I was absolutely seething with anger but as that's such a negative emotion I have let that go and will just deal with the situation.
The tale of the missing router shows some incompetence from PlusNet - when I rang on 18th to say the router hadn't appeared I received a nice apology, it should have been sent but it wasn't. I was told one would be put in the post immediately, First Class. It didn't arrive Friday, or Saturday, or Monday - so another phone call to PlusNet only to be told no router had been sent out! Well, thanks very much, I really could do with an Internet connection having just moved house....... Anyway, finally a new router was sent, I received it yesterday and now I am back online. And by way of an apology I have been given a month's free broadband, thank you. So, annoying delays with the router but PlusNet have put things right and the staff are always very pleasant so as far as I'm concerned it's all over and I'm happy. But NOT with the BT engineer!  Grrr.
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Unhelpful BT engineer

If you ordered a data extension when you ordered FTTC, Plusnet should get the engineer back to do the job properly. I've seen several cases where that has happened.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi catlover,
I tried calling you to discuss this, but I was only able to reach voicemail.
Thanks for providing us feedback of your situation.
I'm sorry that the router wasn't sent out as expected. Regardless of the the engineer's conduct, I'd have expected the router to be dispatched upon first contact. I am glad to hear that we managed to put things right at the same time.
Let me know if there's any problem with arranging the extension cabling and we will look into getting the engineer back as jelv suggests.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
catlover

Thanks Matty. Not sure I want a BT engineer back if the last one was anything to go by! I'm sure my husband and I can sort this out, it's only a question of getting a long enough cable, plugging it in and moving the modem to where it needs to be. Not rocket science, and that way we'll be careful of the newly-decorated walls when fixing the cable to the skirting boards.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Thanks for getting back to us.
Well, I do appreciate that the engineer didn't put you in an ideal position, so please do let us know if you have any further problems.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
BigDaz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Was it a BT engineer or a contractor working on their behalf? The contractor that installed my fibre cocked it up and gave me a little rant about how much he hated Plusnet.
The guy who sorted the problem was an actual BT engineer, much more professional attitude.
catlover

Ah - good point. I don't know if he was actually BT or a contractor but he was certainly not a PlusNet fan. Didn't get a rant but did get a few derogatory remarks in passing...... Never mind, all over now and hopefully I'll never see him again. The main thing is, I have a good, speedy fibre broadband service now.
Cruise85
Grafter

Great to hear that your fibre is running as you would have hoped, and again, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused by the engineer
As Matty said previously, please don't hesitate to get in touch if we can be of any further help