Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected/Unsolicited Call From Plusnet

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Unexpected/Unsolicited Call From Plusnet

I had a call this evening from someone claiming to be from PlusNet and wanting to discuss my account. He couldn't talk to me though unless I identified myself, and I wouldn't talk to him until he had proved his identity (eg by providing some of my account details).
But he couldn't do this unless I identified myself first - impasse!
As it turns out he was from Plusnet CSC as he later posted a question on my account to prove it. Maybe he'll ring back. But on the heels of the TalkTalk hack, isn't it a bit daft to have someone call you with no means of identification and ask to discuss your account?
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
9 REPLIES 9
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Re: Unexpected/Unsolicited Call From Plusnet

I had one of those a couple of years back shortly before my contract was coming to an end.  To avoid them change your options to avoid marketing phone calls - but of course you may then miss out on an offer. I wouldn't trust an offer made in a phone call even if I was sure it was Plusnet calling. In my experience the caller fails to mention important information.
Discussed here.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,119833.0.html
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I've had calls from the credit card company before, and of course I won't discuss with someone who calls in from the blue.  The solution in that case was to call them back on their published number.  You can't do that of course with Plusnet as you need to devote most of the day to waiting in a queue before a person picks up.
NewtonGauss
Grafter

I had a similar call today but rejected it as soon as first "security question" was asked. With SCAMs so prevalent at the moment, what a stupid way to try to do business.
AlexB
quelquod
Pro

And another call tonight. Same problem - no way of identifying the caller, just faced with someone demanding to know the answers to some 'security information'.
Get your act together Plusnet! Scams abound and all advice is not to answer security questions from unsolicited callers. Totally unprofessional approach.
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I had a similar call out of blue from a guy from Plus net a day after I had discussed my needs with the COT team member.  Obviously he had not checked my account and the question which was opened after my discussions with the COT.
Before he could continue, he asked for my user name etc.  I just asked him to check my account and I did not want to part with my details.
So, that was that and I haven't heard from him again.
Chandu.
KevinG
Rising Star

It's not just Plusnet, lots of companies do that, even banks. There has to be a better way.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Has to be a better way?
It was invented centuries ago and is called a letter. It can contain all the details of the product for sale and then the recipient can decide if they want to take up the offer and contact the seller
Simples.  Wink
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
quelquod
Pro

I don't know about a letter but is email so very difficult?
Given that PN don't seem able to handle the amount of telephone calls they've already got it seems strange that they'd voluntarily opt for some more.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@quelquod
But calls out are sales led and generate revenue so pay for themselves.
Support staff answering calls is an expense and to be avoided at all costs.
No comparison.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT