cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unacceptable connection speeds

leewilson78
Grafter

Unacceptable connection speeds

My connections speeds have been very poor for the past 2 months or so, I keep having to turn the modem off. I have submitted several tickets, I have been asked to go through the fault testing. I am at the stage where I am testing with BT, the problem is that sometimes it works, when it doesn't, I have to turn off my modem, on average, I do this around 5 times a day, which I would deem unacceptable.
Anyway, lets see how the BT test goes.

100 REPLIES 100
leewilson78
Grafter

Re: Unacceptable connection speeds

The BT test shows a good connection speed of 5767 Kbps, however, this is unreliable throughout the course of the day.
gswindale
Grafter

How are you connected to the modem?
leewilson78
Grafter

I am connected via a wireless connection, which hasn't been a problem for the past few years. As mentioned, it really fluctuates, the connection seems to drop all together at times.
leewilson78
Grafter

When posting the above reply for example, I had to wait around 30-45 seconds for the page to load.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Looking at the connection logs your line is disconnecting regularly. Rather than report this to us as a speed fault, I'd suggest reporting it as an intermittent fault (going through the faults checker there are some different options to pick). I'd be happy to update the faults checker for you if you'd like? If you could confirm the following I'll get this kicked through to our faults team:
- You are connected to the master socket
- You have removed any extension leads
- You have tried an alternate filter
- Any other telephony devices are filtered or removed from the line
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
leewilson78
Grafter

Hi Chris,
- You are connected to the master socket <<< I am using the same socket I have always used, which is located in the master bedroom in our house.
- You have removed any extension leads <<< What type of extension lead?
- You have tried an alternate filter <<< I bought a new filter last month, which didn't seem to fix the issue.
- Any other telephony devices are filtered or removed from the line <<< I have my telephone line going into the filter, should I remove this? I also have a skype phone connected directly into the modem (via an ethernet cable). We do not rely on this phone, so I can disconnect it.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is the socket in the bedroom the master (or only) socket? Modern master sockets have a removable lower half with a test socket inside:

Before PN will go anywhere with investigating your problems you need to try the router connected to that test socket using the filter and 1-2M cable that was supplied with the router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

- You are connected to the master socket <<< I am using the same socket I have always used, which is located in the master bedroom in our house.

- Have you tested in the master socket of the house? It's quite often extension wiring that causes intermittent connections.

- You should really be using the cable that came with the router, anything longer can pick up interference.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Sorry I should also have said that when you have removed the lower half of the master socket you should confirm that ALL other telephone extension sockets are dead.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Chris

- You should really be using the cable that came with the router, anything longer can pick up interference.

You may not have changed anything to do with your telephone or computer equipment, but if there are problems with the wiring and anything else in or near the house changes it could start picking up interference.
leewilson78
Grafter

@jelv: with regards to the socket, I have two old looking sockets BT sockets and one relatively new NTL socket (previous provider). Both sockets look the same, i.e. no difference that would suggest one is the master. The unused BT socket is downstairs in the lounge (directly beneath the socket I am using).
With regards to extensions, I had changed the filter (as per PN's recommendation), I have now placed the original filter that came with the modem.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Oh drat! If none of your sockets is a new style master socket with a removable lower half it makes things far more difficult. Can you figure out which is the first socket from where the BT wire enters the house? If you can, photos of the socket both outside and showing the wiring inside might help us point you in the right direction. (You can attach photos from the additional options when making a post)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

when it doesn't, I have to turn off my modem, on average, I do this around 5 times a day, which I would deem unacceptable.

Quote from: leewilson78
I am connected via a wireless connection, which hasn't been a problem for the past few years. As mentioned, it really fluctuates, the connection seems to drop all together at times.

probably all those dropped connections are you.  Have you tried changing you wireless channel, it could be that you have a neighbour on the same or nearby channel that is affecting your signal
leewilson78
Grafter

Ok, taken some pictures, will post back, problem is my connection has hit an all time low.