Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tweaking those settings

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Tweaking those settings

Does everything need to be simplified to the point where any useful content has been stripped out?
It seems common at the moment that a customer posts with some problem, and the staff response will be that they've "tweaked some settings" or "made some changes" or something similarly unspecific. Are we not allowed to know what's been changed? It's not much use for anyone else who might try to help, these are community forums after all.
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Tweaking those settings

rather a tweak that a twerk  Shocked  Crazy
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
I must admit that I "tweak" quite a lot. We have to get the balance right between customers who have an understanding of the technology and technical language and those that don't. It's for this reason that I tend to jump in with less technical information (perhaps incorrectly of me in the forums).
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My last fault had the same last reply, settings were tweaked.  If it comes back months down the line, what do I mention that was fixed previously, as we have to battle agents that don't read the initial ticket let alone ticket history.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Perhaps Tony, expand on what the tweaks were after your general statement, with the added comment "if you understand what they all are, if not don't worry about it, someone can explain if you are really interested".
It might result in a few customers learning new things  Smiley
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I must admit , even though  i understand building PC,s after all my years of ISP,s  i have learnt more here reading these boards than anywhere ,,,, Thanks to Non PN staff  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I too have learnt a lot from others, and I have to say a proportion of it is due to PN staff for which I thank them.
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hear, hear.  I agree with Anotherone.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Tony,
The community is a two-way environment - people don't just come here to be fed help, they coming looking for help.
Understanding what fixed a particular issue and why can allow others to compare their situation to the one in question and determine what actions might help them.  Openly divulging what ahs been done avoids the potential to believe that the issue has been papered over - for example raising SNRM above 6dB to improve stability (at the expense of synch speed) rather than getting BTOR to fix a line problem.
There are also circumstance where all of the usual culprits have been tried and eliminated and an odd ball tweak fixes it and then on another occasion no one knows / remembers what else might be done.
We are not all idiots, so please don't dumb down.  If a particular user does not understand, there are enough of us around here to offer explanations for you.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

leader
Grafter

Those BGN's need some major tweaking  Shocked
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Quote from: Townman
Tony,
The community is a two-way environment - people don't just come here to be fed help, they coming looking for help.
Understanding what fixed a particular issue and why can allow others to compare their situation to the one in question and determine what actions might help them.  Openly divulging what ahs been done avoids the potential to believe that the issue has been papered over - for example raising SNRM above 6dB to improve stability (at the expense of synch speed) rather than getting BTOR to fix a line problem.
There are also circumstance where all of the usual culprits have been tried and eliminated and an odd ball tweak fixes it and then on another occasion no one knows / remembers what else might be done.
We are not all idiots, so please don't dumb down.  If a particular user does not understand, there are enough of us around here to offer explanations for you.
Kevin

Quote from: Anotherone
Perhaps Tony, expand on what the tweaks were after your general statement, with the added comment "if you understand what they all are, if not don't worry about it, someone can explain if you are really interested".
It might result in a few customers learning new things  Smiley

Hi,
Both fair points and ones which I and my colleagues will endeavour to follow in the future Smiley
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Admittedly I do tweak a little. I also find myself giving a lot of people a nudge.
I'll make sure that I provide a bit more of an explanation in future posts.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet