cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally fed up with Plusnet!!

atomit
Dabbler

Totally fed up with Plusnet!!

I can't believe how bad PlusNet Customer Service has become. I won't go into detail about what has happened and why as it is too tedious for words but the result is that all my last year's emails have been wiped out after I moved house and no one a) gives a damn or b) can help me because PlusNet's systems are so inflexible and organised to suit PlusNet and not the customer. I have been with PlusNet since 2002 and in those days, you could always speak to someone in Support and the service was quick and competent. These days you have to wait 30 minutes, sometimes more before you can get onto the Chat, if it's working at all and as for speaking to a human being, FORGET IT MATE!!!

I can't send emails from my Thunderbird client for some reason but I can't get hold of anyone to get them to look at it.

I am just writing here out of sheer frustration and to let you know that I am now studying the marketplace to find another provider as soon as my year's contract is up because this has become as bad as TalkTalk, which is saying something! In the meantime, I am shifting my email account to gmail, which is far more generous and efficient. PlusNet, watch it you're really going down the drain at this rate.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): All caps title edited as per Forum rules.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Customer Service and Email labels added.

25 REPLIES 25
starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Totally fed up with Plusnet!!

I'm just wondering why you rely on a third party to store your precious emails... even gmail is "AS IS" - no promises that your data is safe.

atomit
Dabbler

It's not something I would have wanted to do normally, just wanted to note how bad Plusnet has become (just look at Trustpilot - all 1 star reviews saying how rubbish they are) - I know loads of people who have used gmail for many years and been very happy with that so I'll follow them and find another internet provider for when my year is up.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@starfry - I always wonder that too - I havmy PN email accounts, a yahoo one and a gmail, but the Yahoo & Gmail are currently diverted to one of my PN accounts and mail is collected via POP3.

Any mail I wish to keep is backed up to an external weekly, so if GM, yahoo (or PN) suddenly go belly-up, I don't loose anything important.

John
atomit
Dabbler

clever - I'll try to sort sthg similar up in future

mckenzie2512

Have to agree that PlusNet customer service has reached a new low. Still awaiting a sensible response to a query raised on 1st August. Nothing but promises which are not kept. Don't bother trying to phone them unless you have at least an hour with nothing better to do. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@atomit,

Posting a question seeking help and advising of the background on the email forum might be more productive.

When you move house did you retain the same account?

Do (did) you have very full email boxes?

Did you miss a series of warnings that your mail box was full ... which (due to the house move) you did not address?

As a consequence has your mailbox been archived as Plusnet advised would happen if not action was taken?

In what exact way is your email client no longer working with the Plusnet email service?

As with all problems - the devil in in the detail - not the headlines.

EDIT: I've since seen that the mods moved this post FROM the email forum ... I guess because it contains no description of the issue at hand? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear of your poor experience @atomit

From what I can see your account has been reactivated to a free email only account. Unfortunately, the use of our outgoing mail server relay.plus.net is prohibited via a mail client. You'd still be able to send by logging on to webmail.plus.net

Alternatively we can change the account to Plusnet Mail for £1.06 per month which will allow you to use the outgoing mail server.

I believe one of my colleagues has since replied to your support ticket, directing to our mailspace team to try to restore any mail lost as a result of the account closure.

@mckenzie2512 - From looking into your account I can see you've raised a complaint online. I'd expect our HLE team to pick that up this week and contact you. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Unhelpful post removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jon1978
Hooked

Just being honest why remove my post 👎
Mav
Fixes: 514

@Jon1978

I have sent you a PM.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

atomit
Dabbler

To PlusNet

It was a really nice surprise to come back from holiday and find my email restored. Interesting however that I had been told by your team that this would be impossible... Still, grateful to have it back.

Regarding your suggestion that I pay an extra £1.06 in order to be able to send email. please can I explain: I had to create a new account in order to get a live phone and broadband line in my new home before I actually moved in and was told by your staff that I could keep the same email address. I have an account with you for which I am paying a the full monthly fee but this is not the one that my email address relates to - I should not have to pay extra in order to be able to send email.

Please tell me what I can do so that I can continue using my new fibre account and keep my old email address. I would phone you to discuss this but I do not have 30 minutes + to wait for someone to respond only to tell me that they can't help.

Thanks

Best

Anne

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Anne,

I'm happy to hear your email has been successfully restored.

Regarding your suggestion that I pay an extra £1.06 in order to be able to send email. please can I explain: I had to create a new account in order to get a live phone and broadband line in my new home before I actually moved in and was told by your staff that I could keep the same email address. I have an account with you for which I am paying a the full monthly fee but this is not the one that my email address relates to - I should not have to pay extra in order to be able to send email.

Unfortunately we can't move an email address from one account to another account. If you'd like to keep your email address and be able to send mail using relay.plus.net you'll need to pay the fee of £1.06 per month which can't be discounted. Sad

If you'd like to go ahead with that, just reply to this ticket

Alternatively, we'll be happy to keep your email on the free account, as it is now if you prefer.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Gandalf,

Is it possible to retain the OLD ACCOUNT email addresses (but not access the SMTP under that account) for free?

If yes, then depending on the email client being used (not webmail) it ought to be possible to configure an email client to use the SMTP settings for the NEW ACCOUNT.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Townman wrote:
Is it possible to retain the OLD ACCOUNT email addresses (but not access the SMTP under that account) for free?

Yes.

@Townman wrote:
If yes, then depending on the email client being used (not webmail) it ought to be possible to configure an email client to use the SMTP settings for the NEW ACCOUNT.

For email addresses housed in free accounts, relay.plus.net will not work with a mail client.

They'd only be able to send mail via webmail.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet