cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torrent Protocol. Have u seen a reduction since u started blocking Pirate Bay?

tweety

Torrent Protocol. Have u seen a reduction since u started blocking Pirate Bay?

I know you are blaming BT for blocking the requests for PB but anyhow. Ignore that one.
Have you actually seen a overall reduction in traffic on the Plusnet network ? (peering and transit or other)
and
Have you seen a reduction in Torrent traffic on the Plusnet network ? (peering and transit or other)
They both go hand in hand really i'd love to know the percentage reduction as you must be rubbing your hands in glee at the removal of a big traffic headache if you've seen a reduction. Thats presuming your shaping was a difficult to manage as the platform at my last employers.
I think thats a fair question considering accessing the site isn't actually illegal and neither is downloading using torrents. Since the block was introduced in "error" (adccording to other posts on here) to Plusnet via your choice of peering routes which you could obviously change I'm wondering if its saving you a load of money. However since that question means you'll likely not answer the other ones I'd just like to know. Has it and how much ?
Open and honest are we ?
5 REPLIES 5
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Torrent Protocol. Have u seen a reduction since u started blocking Pirate Bay?

Video streaming costs us far much more cash than combined P2P activity from all sources.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Torrent Protocol. Have u seen a reduction since u started blocking Pirate Bay?

I don't know what the % are in the UK - but Youtube and Netflix alone account for 60% of all downstream internet traffic in the US.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I dont netflix but do utube a lot ,,,,, and the odd torrent  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
atbs1
Grafter

@ Kelly: are you able to answer the question -instead of obfuscation please?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It's hard to answer, just based on the fact that our previous products had peak time speed restrictions on p2p and usage caps which meant people didn't tend to go hell for leather on P2P, vs now where there are no speed restrictions on P2P downloads and no usage caps, so it's a bit apples and oranges as a comparison.  I think we could say that in raw numbers P2P usage is up, just based on base and usage growth, but that video streaming is the thing that gives us "traffic headaches".
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager