cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for basic usage allowances to be increased?

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Time for basic usage allowances to be increased?

Internet pages are no longer just text with a few pictures, now there are animations, video clips with sound, fancy animated graphics and advertising which eat up the data allowance.
Is it time for Plusnet to come into the new age and up the basic allowance from 10Gb to 15Gb a month?
I'm not one to download videos and just basically visit the same sites daily but in recent times the allowance usage has shot up often resulting in an email from PlusNet notification that peak-time usage is coming close to the 10Gb limit.
To me being charged £5.00 per 5Gb of additional usage is not value for money and I've never gone over the 10Gb allowance.
Paying an extra £5.00 a month and getting many gigabites of allowance of which the vast majority would never be used, for me that is an option very similar to the £5.00 for an additional 5Gb.
In these austere times should Plusnet consider a basic usage allowance of 15Gb for an additional 50p a month or possibly 12Gb?
101 REPLIES 101
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Time for basic usage allowances to be increased?

Hi christmas,
Understand what you're saying but unfortunately from our side things aren't that simple (plus of course these times of austerity aren't just affecting customers - they're affecting businesses too!).
Changing a product isn't as simple as just adding more usage I'm afraid, as it's all been carefully planned out and changing anything throws those plans off. It's worth bearing in mind that the product up from Value is about the same price as Value plus an extra 5GB - so for that same amount you're getting 60GB usage. I realise this isn't ideal for yourself but for people who do use more there's no denying the value there.
christmas
Aspiring Pro

I've never been over the 10Gb so the £5 extra a month would be a waste of money BUT I can see the data usage has significantly increased for no apparent reason on my part.
For example today I've only been looking at pages to read text but the allowance used is already nearly 300Mb, I assume because of the onscreen ads and whiz bangs on the pages.
Quite soon I think Plusnet will have to increase its basic usage allowance or scrap it for new customers as I can't see 10Gb being enough if my current usage is anything to go by.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have just had to move from Value to Extra for the same reason
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: christmas
..because of the onscreen ads and whiz bangs on the pages.

Wouldn't a browser ad-blocker actually prevent download of some of this 'rubbish' and therefore reduce the bandwidth consumed in loading the page?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Agree 100% with the OP - I now have to watch my usage carefully -recently had to explain to visitors that they couldn't use their I -Pad to watch catch up TV on my connection  because of the usage limitations - they greeted this with a mixture of merriment and incredulity as they are on "unlimited" connections with Sky and O2 - In answer to the last post I've installed Ad block plus and NoScript to minimise this junk running when I open pages -unfortunately some pages are effectively unuseable unless you give them permissions to run some scripts and some web sites now even throw up a message if they detect Ad blockers running. Cry
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Having printed off the past month's usage there some dramatic variations, the lowest day being 158Mb the highest 961Mb, why so high I've no idea.
Today I've been keeping a check on usage, logged off just before 8am.
10.30am logged on and checked usage, 39.71Kb
Briefly visited a site which is populated with video ads and a computer manufacter website, looked at 5 or 6 pages of details of a computer. Logged off.
11.24 usage now stood at 14.05Mb.
Visited the computer website again and looked at the same pages as before. Logged off.
11:54 usage now 20.1Mb

Did virtually nothing and clocked up 20Mb of data transfer within minutes.
The monthly usage states 80% web, 20% streaming.
Is there s/w available to display onscreen a count of the data usage as it happens, to possible identify which sites or pages are eating the most into the usage allowance?
w23
Pro

This?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html
A possible culprit for unexpected useage is Windows (and other) updates.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ is far better than tbbmeter!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Thank you for the links.
I tend to set options to notify updates rather than automatically instal but I'm not sure if they are being downloaded in the background anyway ready to be installed.
I'm astonished how may times Adobe update Flash Player & PDF Reader.
With so much software only available online the computer is going to end up at some stage spending all its time updating the various software and the usage gets eaten up before I get a chance to use it.
Well am at 9.9Gb today and counting.
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I have just had to move from Value to Extra for the same reason

I decided to do the same for the same reason, but have been unable to do so on-line!
Six times now over three days I have gone through the Account Change routine, but when I click on the "Change my products "  button it just takes me back to square one, every time  Angry
Maybe PN have run out of bandwidth and don't want me to upgrade......
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Well ended up a total usage of for the month of 11.5Gb I'm suprised how little of that was overnight usage 1.56Gb.
Something I notice is from 22 June the daily peak time usage appears to have doubled, is there someway of looking back to see online times and sites visited to see why there was a sudden surge in usage?
Having read this forum it looks like allowances across all products may need to be increased to cope with how the internet has changed.
I feel as computers and the internet have become faster website designers are no longer feel restricted to the size of graphic and video files on web pages.
Broadcasters and publishers are encouraging the use of the internet to view programmes and exclusive videos without any consideration to data usage by individuals as they don't bear the cost themselves. 
Maybe broadband providers need to have a word with website designers and publishers to make them aware of data restrictions many users face.
christmas
Aspiring Pro

There's definately something not right....
Between 6am and 8am today I went to the usual site I visit and downloaded a software file and installed it...total usage under 11Mb
Between 8am and 10am two files were downloaded an update 20Mb and one of 8Mb....checking usage at 10:30 peak usage had gone from Zero to 168Mb.
Have just been online to check an order and at 11:30 the peak usage shows 257Mb!!!
Something don't add up, almost 100Mb in less than an hour of no or very little access to the internet?
christmas
Aspiring Pro

In the time it took to type my previous message (10 mins) peak usage has increased by 13Mb to 271Mb....mmmmm.
James
Grafter

Bear in mind that the usage meter does not update in real time.  It's generally a few hours behind.