cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ticket system

highfield5
Grafter

Ticket system

I've just returned to Plusnet after a gap of over 7 years, and I have to say I'm not too impressed with the whole online ticket system.  Have I just been unlucky or is it much quicker to go straight to phone calls - even if it means listening to that on-hold music!
I went through the broadband trouble shooter process and did my requested three speed tests over 24 hours.  It then took two days before getting _any_ reply to my speed test results, and then just to say that you were going to test my line and it might take up to 24 hours. 27 hours later! I got a reply asking me to perform another test: to connect directly to the modem.  I did so and returned the result.  In the 24 hours since then - nothing.
So for an issue that I started at 16:48 on Tuesday I'm still not much nearer to getting any sort of resolution than I was at the start.  And if it is passed onto BT, as I suspect it will be, then I suppose that will be another 2 or 3 days...
It's not a major problem* for me, my fibre broadband is working a lot faster than it was a week or so ago on ADSL2+, but it is still not working as it should (or what I'm paying for) and the fault resolution process doesn't bode too well if (when) I do have a more major service affecting problem.
Ian
*Ticket #61658889. Brief synopsis: I've consistently got a throughput of 33-34Mbps on a line connected at 76.5Mbps and a profile of 75Mbps.
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Ticket system

Are you testing wired or wireless?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
highfield5
Grafter

Wired, from two different computers (XP & Win8) and also PPPoE straight into the modem. Always between 30000 and 34000 Mbps on a 75000Mbps sync.
I think I'm just on a wrong profile, throttle or setting somewhere. 75000 * 0.89 (I believe the overhead is 11%?) gives an expected throughput of 66750, which is almost exactly double what I am consistently seeing.  If something somewhere thinks I'm on the 40Mbps product then I imagine it might cause these symptoms? Or maybe not  Grin
Ian
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One point the ratio to sync speed and IPprofile is 1.033
How do you know your sync speed - have you hacked the BT modem or are you using your own
The way I always recommend finding the sync speed on a fibre line is to run the BT speedtest - diagnostic version - and multiply the IPprofile by 1.033 to get the sync speed
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

also have you checked the member centre to see if the PN profile matches?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
highfield5
Grafter

Thanks for the correction regarding the ratio.
Sorry, I've just been guestimating the actual connection speed.  However, the report that PlusNet provided in the ticket included "Downstream Speed 76.5 Mbps", but I'm not sure what that refers to.
The BT speed test was giving a profile of 75.03, but I see that has now changed to 73.7
highfield5
Grafter

Yes, the BT speed test profile was (until very recently) 75.03 and the profile in my member centre was 75.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I see we've since raised a fault with BT Wholesale. I've just checked and they've bounced it back to us saying they're unable to locate any problems. I'll ask one of the Faults folk to take a look and push it back to them if needs be.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

highfield5
Grafter

Thanks Bob. The throughput is still much slower than expected so I've got an OR man coming round tomorrow PM to have a look
highfield5
Grafter

Just to add some closure to this thread.
The problem was that the fibre cab that my line is connected to was "broken" (not the actual term used  ;D) .  There were three OR people working on the cab for a couple of days, and now my throughput matches the lines connection rate and profile.
Thanks to all who made suggestions.
Ian
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Glad to hear it got sorted in the end Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵